Coronavirus (COVID-19)

50 minutes ago, Detournement said:

There was a guy who might have tried to do that but you didn't seem to like him very much. 

We'll be waiting a long time before we get the chance to vote for a left wing PM again. 

Surely in Scotland you and I could be voting for a (potentially) left wing PM as soon as we are independent?

If I can't scoop 6 warm cans of Stella on the train back north from another miserable County defeat, then life isn't worth living anymore. That wee Sainsbury's near Queen St has been the saviour of many an away day.
If you're referring to the Sainsbury's right at the front of the station on West George Street I have bad news for you. [emoji51]

Edit: Beaten to it!

I've been on thousands of train journeys and can only think of a handful of times when I've been annoyed by drunken arseholes. Besides, having a few cans on the table helps you keep it to yourself, whether you're drinking them or not. Gauging freedoms by the ability of the lowest common denominator to cope with them is an awful idea. 

Edited by welshbairn

17 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Construction and manufacturing need to close to make this anything close to a meaningful lockdown.  Just back from a trip up to the doctor, noticed a hereby florist open.  Can’t imagine that being essential retail.

There's a fuckload of folk in hospital that still need flowers, you monster.

18 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I don't take much comfort from someone getting arrested after they've ruined my day. Only a few years ago Scotrail had to strike to avoid them dispensing with guards. Booze on trains can get to f**k.

It's illegal to booze on coaches to sporting events. Your problem isn't with booze in any case, it's groups of people. A group of bams on the train are still likely to "ruin your day" whether they're pissed up or not.

I've been on thousands of train journeys and can only think of a handful of times when I've been annoyed by drunken arseholes. Besides, having a few cans on the table helps you keep it to yourself, whether you're drinking them or not. Gauging freedoms by the ability of the lowest common denominator to cope with them is an awful idea. 
Agreed, annoying kids on the other hand.......

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

was there not a big song and dance when they introduced some controls on bringing on cans a while back that they'd refuse boarding to anyone judged to be excessively drunk?

Or was that just saying the guards would stop you getting on and call the BTP if you kicked off?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13138576.drink-fuelled-train-crime-down-one-third-since-ban-on-alcohol/

Aye so basically (unless its some mad railway bye-law) there’s no actual law against it, there are laws about being drunk and incapable in a public place, but if someones on a train surely its better to be moving them home than falling asleep in the city centre etc. But as with any public transport the conductor/driver can say ‘aye youre no getting on’ if the person is being a nuisance or causing bother, if the person refuses to leave the train or bus then the police can assist in the removal to prevent a breach of the peace etc. 

23 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

If I can't scoop 6 warm cans of Stella on the train back north from another miserable County defeat, then life isn't worth living anymore. That wee Sainsbury's near Queen St has been the saviour of many an away day.

Sorry to ruin your day but the Sainsbury’s has been flattened for the new station.

15 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

That Sainsburys is long gone bud, rip.

12 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

If you're referring to the Sainsbury's right at the front of the station on West George Street I have bad news for you. emoji51.png

Edit: Beaten to it!

It's the one on Buchanan St near the lane that takes you to the station.

42 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I disagree, I think most of us on here and the public at large would have been seething if we had shutdown borders and lockdown the country over 2 dozen cases in northern Italy.  hindsight is 2020 ( haha get it!) but it would have been met with outrage if we had just gone ahead and done that, perhaps it would have saved us a world of grief tho, the 2nd part tho I think you've hit the nail on the head, they wouldn't want to be the ones who panicked and massively over reacted given that, as has been stated many times, these measures have serious adverse effects in their own right!  history says they waited until it was too late .

Also the same public/ p&bers  who demand the lifting of restriction are calling the government murderers over the death rate ( care homes not withstanding)

To be fair, there's a section of the public that are in outrage right now about lockdowns & damage to the economy and others wanting restrictions eased immediately. And that's with hindsight and a death toll of nearly 100,000 in the UK. They are only a small number overall as can be seen from the various polls showing fairly broad support for restrictions, but they make a lot of noise and they definitely fall into the category of people who think if you shout loud enough and repeat it, it becomes fact.

Do you think in five years time, if Covid-19 is pretty much eradicated and another virus emerges in a similar way, the Gov & general public will be much more cautious, or will it again just be the public health experts who are the only people willing to overreact just in case?

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Aye so basically (unless its some mad railway bye-law) there’s no actual law against it, there are laws about being drunk and incapable in a public place, but if someones on a train surely its better to be moving them home than falling asleep in the city centre etc. But as with any public transport the conductor/driver can say ‘aye youre no getting on’ if the person is being a nuisance or causing bother, if the person refuses to leave the train or bus then the police can assist in the removal to prevent a breach of the peace etc. 

As a retired BTP cop I can say yes there is a byelaw that can refuse you travel on the railway for being in a state of intoxication, used it quite a few times to take persons of a train. It’s byelaw 4 of the Transport Act 2000.