Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think there's a fashionable miserablism sometimes in modern life.  I am lucky in that I like the people I work with, I enjoy my job.  I used to quite like going into the office, for both work and social reasons, quite a few of my colleagues in the past have become my good friends.  To read some people you'd think that going into an office to work is a massive punishment.  

Meh, for some people it will feel like that. There's probably a lot of people working in an office environment who aren't suited to it and end up hating their job. 

36 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Add in a bag of cans and it's the definition of a fucking great away day at the fitba.

Aberdeen away! Get involved.

The true test of 'return to normal' will be when ScotRail revokes their 'temporary' alcohol ban 'because of Covid', rather than trying to sneak in another disgraceful infringement for good. 

35 minutes ago, 101 said:

Work is where we spend most of our time to not care about that place seems interesting. Of course it's secondary to your list but still important.

As for your second point this is out chance to whack reset it's not a binary choice between going for a pint, going on holiday and spending hours commuting. You can now work from wherever you want you no long have to take 4 weeks off if you want to go to Australia you can got for months if you can take your work laptop with you. This is a chance for the workers to say enough is enough we aren't going backwards we can do anything we want after this it's shaken the world upside down let's not try and reassemble it into what is was before but to something that suits your list in the first paragraph. A world were you can shoot off at lunch time on a Wednesday and make up the hours.

You are conflating two separate things here, probably deliberately to make your very odd point. The discussion about things being back to normal was specifically related to the ongoing public proclamations about retaining some of the covid restrictions. The sort of social changes you would like to make, many of which I agree with by the way, are completely independent of this discussion. I am not sure what role you think "the workers" have in the relaxation of covid restrictions, that is not something that is in their power. Social change comes through electing the right people and forming the right sort of social movements, it's not going to arrive any faster as a result of slow (or fast) relaxation of the covid restrictions.

What you are saying here is the equivalent of removing all the tables from a restaurant, and then when the diners ask for them back the owner says "but sometimes the waiter stubbed his toe on the corner of them".

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

The mainstream British left should have thought about this while demanding rolling lockdowns every five minutes and endless support packages for everyone affected: it has now completely sunk their agenda for progressive change. 

They should also have thought about not being absolutely fucking useless for, *check's notes*, my entire lifetime.

9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I've also just realised that tomorrow it will be one year since I started this thread.

What a year it's been.  From being a semi-humourous league table among P&Bs sex tourists South East Asian residents we've moved onto be probably the worlds foremost forum for epidemiological debate and discussion.  We've had Granny Danger arguing about bottles of Chateux du Shitefaced with his wife, philpy grassing everyone he sees up, Todd going from forum NPC to the principle arbiter of public health crises in Western Europe.  What a year.

Who would you say has been the top 5 best posters on this thread and who are the 5 worst?

Edited by Marshmallo

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I've also just realised that tomorrow it will be one year since I started this thread.

What a year it's been.  From being a semi-humourous league table among P&Bs sex tourists South East Asian residents we've moved onto be probably the worlds foremost forum for epidemiological debate and discussion.  We've had Granny Danger arguing about bottles of Chateux du Shitefaced with his wife, philpy grassing everyone he sees up, Todd going from forum NPC to the principle arbiter of public health crises in Western Europe.  What a year.

A year tomorrow since the start of this thread but we will be waiting a couple months before we mark the anniversary of the scottish or uk government doing anything about it and what about 11 months before the requirement for a test before entering the country.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

The true test of 'return to normal' will be when ScotRail revokes their 'temporary' alcohol ban 'because of Covid', rather than trying to sneak in another disgraceful infringement for good. 

walk out the off license onto the street where you can't drink, into the station where you can't drink, get blootered on the train then off the other end to the street where you can't drink, into the fitbaw grund where you can't drink, pop into the bookies where you can't drink.  decide your hungry and need a substantial meal?  

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

You are conflating two separate things here, probably deliberately to make your very odd point. The discussion about things being back to normal was specifically related to the ongoing public proclamations about retaining some of the covid restrictions. The sort of social changes you would like to make, many of which I agree with by the way, are completely independent of this discussion. I am not sure what role you think "the workers" have in the relaxation of covid restrictions, that is not something that is in their power. Social change comes through electing the right people and forming the right sort of social movements, it's not going to arrive any faster as a result of slow (or fast) relaxation of the covid restrictions.

What you are saying here is the equivalent of removing all the tables from a restaurant, and then when the diners ask for them back the owner says "but sometimes the waiter stubbed his toe on the corner of them".

Anyone who is correlating people saying 'back to normal' as them saying 'exactly how we were in 2019 to the letter' is being deliberately obtuse.

All massive world events leave a 'new normal' in their wake and this will be no different. Pushing forward and making something better out of a fucking garbage situation. Before this, I'd probably say the biggest single shifting event in most of our lifetimes was 9/11. That most certainly pushed forward a swathe of societal and security based changes that we now live with on a daily basis. The rise of the internet has also completely revolutionised 'normality' but in a much more gradual way. 

Of course covid will do the same in its own wake but years of ongoing, never-ending restrictions should not even be on the table as something that humanity has to accept. There are no positives to be taken from locking down populations indefinitely, killing economies stone dead and denying them the chance to ever recover. So why would it become normal?

4 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

They should also have thought about not being absolutely fucking useless for, *check's notes*, my entire lifetime.

The same applies to the mainstream vision of an independent and social democratic Scotland though. While we still should absolutely be breaking away from this failed state, the scope of what can be done differently in the next decade or two is going to be hugely curtailed by the past twelve months.

It is absolutely mind-boggling that lockdown discussion divided largely along left-right lines, when the left stands to lose much more in the long term from current policies than the right. In an alternative universe, we could have used the last twelve months to set up a version of UBI fit for the current disruption as well as the wider redundancy of work in the 21st century, but instead we have a short term furlough that will be brushed aside and we're currently haggling over whether people should get an extra £20 in Universal Credit for a few more months. That's the limit of our ambition before the bill gets called on this farce. It's utterly pathetic.

9 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Who would you say has been the top 5 best posters on this thread and who are the 5 worst?

I can't really say, I just pop into the thread to occasionally post pertinent things.  I don't follow the back and forth of it.  

I think there's a fashionable miserablism sometimes in modern life.  I am lucky in that I like the people I work with, I enjoy my job.  I used to quite like going into the office, for both work and social reasons, quite a few of my colleagues in the past have become my good friends.  To read some people you'd think that going into an office to work is a massive punishment.  

Can I just say that the term fashionable miserablism is tremendous. Well played sir [emoji106].

22 minutes ago, virginton said:

Typical Greenockian jakeball response.

Musical Youth should have brought a version of their song just for you lot with the lyrics changed to

“Pass the Buckie down the left hand side”.

24 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

How very dare you.  There was nothing semi about those league tables.  They/we only stopped publishing them when the West started to take it serious/realise they were involved , now look where you are now.

I'll tell you

Asia total deaths - 360,698 pop - 4.463 billion

UK - 93,290 pop - 68 million

That can't be acceptable, can it?

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

Not all 'wet markets' have rare animals, not all 'wet markets even kill animal on site.  My source of meat is a wet market, it only has live fish.  Your Wikipedia link explains this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_market

Got to remember we don't all live with a Sainsbury's or ASDA on our doorstep.   Different culture, I daily shop (most do here) as I'm always going past the market, everything is fresh unlike the Tesco supermarket which is 20 miles away and is more expensive.

BTW Tesco are closing business in Thailand, they don't have the market 😉

Same here, Slippery.  Our wet market is more like the old arcades that could be found in UK cities moons ago where individual stalls would sell meat, fish, bread, flowers etc amongst other stuff.  Ours are outdoor, of course, but nothing like the image many have of what a wet market is.  It was the same in Hong Kong with the exception that chickens would be killed on site as folk there like to choose their chicken fresh.

Close down our wet markets and you're effectively cutting off the food supply to huge parts of the population.