Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

No I'm saying high sea pirates with 6 inch cannons could have been used to stop the posh boy sailing fraternity from bringing it in.

Stop blowin' 'oles in my pandemic response

If you want to then crack on, but it shouldn't be a law if it's no longer necessary
I've no doubt that many people generally don't enjoy it, and don't think the restriction should be in place longer than necessary, just countering the idea that it's a wholly unpleasant experience.

As an aside I read about an interesting study the other day whose findings indicate that mask wearing may actually help reduce infections by improving the wearer's lung humidity, which has already been shown to decrease risk of developing respiratory diseases. I'm filling it under skeptical for now but it'd be interesting if further research backs up the claim.

Ive gotta be honest, if wearing a mask walking about gets my wee guy into soft play or opens up the possibility of going to football then id absolutely deal with it. Social distancing in supermarkets is a godsend because you dont have people always breathing down your neck etc. I do worry though that if we increase social distancing or prolong in response to covid, what does that do to the impact of other viruses and infections? Does the cold virus become more virulent in an attempt to survive? Does natural immunity to other things fade because we are so obsessed with clean hands/masks? 

Guest bernardblack

I know Brewdog aren’t everyone’s cup of T(ennents) but they’ve said they’re taking bookings to be hopefully open from May

Edited by bernardblack

2 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

I know Brewdog aren’t everyone’s cup of T(ennents) but they’ve said they’re taking bookings to be open from May

Just surprised its taken them this long as they havent been trying to get in the news for a while

Have they said they will plant a tree for every booking they get?

Wife works in a school and has been told shel be getting LFTs home with her, same as NHS workers are currently getting.

I assume it will be a twice a week job.

It should be noted that it's still a week before they go back and as per the "choose your own vaccine" spreadsheet, they could be talking shite, so we'll believe the testing when it appears in the house.
Mrs Fifer works in a local primary school and has been doing LFTs for several weeks, twice a week.

Guest bernardblack
3 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Just surprised its taken them this long as they havent been trying to get in the news for a while

Have they said they will plant a tree for every booking they get?

I don’t think Hector Bellerin is their press officer

Edited by bernardblack

The next stated target for vaccinations is all over 50s by the end of April.  If the current rates are kept up we should get that done by the end of March.  A hyper-ambitious target would be to get all over 40s done by the end of April.
I have no idea how construction of new vaccine production facilities is going but it's vital that we have facilities ready to produce the rNA vaccines.  This will allow the UK to produce boosters when needed, produce updated versions if a new variant requires it and to produce vaccines that we can export to our neighbours and to poorer countries as part of the COVAX programme.
We won't keep the current rate up though, even if supplies were there we still have to deliver all the second doses.

31k vaccines yesterday. Best Sunday so far.

Daily totals are unlikely to top 30k per day this week, however, according to Sturgeon. Definitely closes down some of the more optimistic media reports this morning hoping for over 50’s to be done by the end of March.

11 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Yer da’s who refuse the vaccine because they think covid isn't real will vastly outnumber those who don’t want to get the vaccine for religious reasons.

And yet, given the massive rates of uptake among the elderly thus far, the 'yer da' characterisation misses the mark.