Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Other than Asda and Starbucks, what is  actually open up there that’s causing the bedlam and queues? 

Missus and I broke the rules, left our council area and went through to the IKEA at Loanhead to pick up stuff we’d ordered which was a very good example of a click & collect service I might add. Wasn’t particularly busy and very swift. After we left Loanhead we broke the rules again and went to the Costa drive-through at Hermiston Gait which had a ridiculously long queue backing up onto the main road into the retail park. I imagine this particular Costa drive-through will cause utter bedlam whenever some sort of normality returns. We then made our way back to our own council area.

See the source image

49 minutes ago, superbigal said:

So will Scotgov match the English new timetable for 1st Vaccine.

In England all over 50s by 15th April.

Are we still  into May up here ?

JCVI priority groups 6,7,8,9 - We expect to start these cohorts in March and aim to complete first doses by early May 2021

We're on course at the moment for around 24th April, however if we get back to 50k first jag rate (it's around 30k at the moment), then that date will shorten.  We're still on course for all adults jagged at least once by start of June.

9 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Since when was it more difficult to book annual leave in the public sector?

My work only allocates annual leave in the august preceding the coming march-feb annual leave year and each person allocated a specific set of dates to use their leave (ie 20 day windows in spring summer and winter) to stop everyone being off at the same time. My brother has the same arrangements in his department and that meant we both had to get special permission to bypass this process which involved both departments speaking to each other to say yes which had to wait until a specific quarterly meeting to do this. I could bore you with every specific detail as to why it’s so difficult but im sure you’re hopefully following now. This coupled with my wifes work having to agree dates two years in advance for a time where 3 of 5 partners usually want time off meant it was very difficult. 

10 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

Texted my sister today.  She is in her mid 60s and has some underlying health issues which could be compromised if got Covid.

I told her that I had now had my second injection due to my job and asked if she had got hers yet.

She replied..."I refused mine two weeks ago. Well postponed it until I’m sure if they work or not. Might be forced to take if I need it to get anywhere."

So, she is not going to take it on health grounds for herself as does not trust the science...yet

No mention of the fact she might consider it as might reduce the chance of passing it on to her husband who has  underlying conditions relating to his heart and blood pressure for last 5 years. 

No mention if considering it to lessen the chance of passing it on to her daughter and 3 month grandchild (who had a complicated pregnancy and aftermath)  when they break lockdown and visit.

No mention of her considering to lessen the chance of passing it on to her 80yr old mother in law (even though she has been vaccinated) when she visits/stays over (which if truth be told is stretching the caring responsibilities exemption a bit).

No mention of considering taking it to lessen the chance of passing it on to the very vulnerable clients she works with (even if they have been vaccinated) who she will be doing home visits to or seeing in her office once restrictions are lifted.

But she will take it if it stops her going on holiday  for a week sometime in the future????

I did ask her to elaborate on "if they work or not" as would be interested to see what she said and where she was getting her information from and what evidence that is not already out there would convince her to change her mind, but as yet have had no reply.

I should not be surprised as we do not really discuss big issues or current affairs much since she is a Daily Mail/Scottish Tory/Brexiteer/ex civil servant/married to retired policeman type and I am a  gobsh!te.

At least you know your place...

10 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

The basis for the decision is not “hypothetical” variants.

We have known variants against which our current vaccines appear to be less effective (South African variants e.g.) and/or which transmit more easily than the variants that were used to inform the efficacy of our existing vaccines (several variants that are like the Kent variant). We also know that there are variants that are spreading in other countries which, even if not vaccine resistant, would (because of high transmissibility) cause a further surge in cases here while vaccines are still being rolled out.

The reason there is no commitment to “you can have your holiday in August” is because they are still waiting to see whether other countries can get those variants under control, and whether the vaccines are “good enough” to enable us to keep them under control if and when they get here.

No its exactly because of hypothetical variants, thats exactly what clownshoes has been saying. We already have fantastic research and results coming from israel that the vaccines are massively effective. We also know that the ‘kent’ variant is widely predicted to be the dominant strain of the virus and that it is kept at bay very well by vaccines. 

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

My work only allocates annual leave in the august preceding the coming march-feb annual leave year and each person allocated a specific set of dates to use their leave (ie 20 day windows in spring summer and winter) to stop everyone being off at the same time. My brother has the same arrangements in his department and that meant we both had to get special permission to bypass this process which involved both departments speaking to each other to say yes which had to wait until a specific quarterly meeting to do this. I could bore you with every specific detail as to why it’s so difficult but im sure you’re hopefully following now. This coupled with my wifes work having to agree dates two years in advance for a time where 3 of 5 partners usually want time off meant it was very difficult. 

This strikes me as very job specific rather than public sector specific.

I’ve worked in the public sector for several years now in two different roles and, within reason and as long as others who would be backing up your role in the same team haven’t already booked in leave at the same time, at both workplaces I could take annual leave pretty much whenever I wanted to...

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Cracker of an interview on 5Live there.

I didn't catch the name of the expert, but she said if we live with these restrictions for another three months then we should achieve Zero Covid and get back to normal by May.

Someone texted in and asked if that meant outdoor live events could go ahead with crowds, especially after the study published the other day said that folk flocking to the beaches had no impact on transmission, and she said no, because she's wary of variants...

Also said that the number of people vaccinated is irrelevant. It's case numbers that are the most important factor...

Get these weirdos into the bin.

Would one not affect the other?

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I’ve got to be honest I haven’t looked at the rules closely for this lockdown. Are golf courses supposed to be shut? Are people not supposed to meet each other in parks? Are you allowed into other peoples gardens?

Only if you're getting your ball back.

I can see arseholes like Farage trying to get behind some sort of anti-vax bandwagon (as long as he can get a grift out of it).

The most effective way to deal with anti-vax cretins is to remove them from social media. They are almost always desperate attention-seekers and not being able to post shite on Facebook would see them at their GPs within half an hour begging to be jagged.
The problem is they still give publicity to oxygen thieving anti-vaxxers like Jo Bisset of UsForThem.

The Hootsman had an angry parents front page last week based almost entirely on the mewlings of this fucking arsehole.

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

No its exactly because of hypothetical variants, thats exactly what clownshoes has been saying.

No it isn’t.

At most, the closest either Government has got towards saying this is that they are seeing emerging variants that appear to be more transmissible or deadly and/or potentially more vaccine resistant, and that they need more data on them, and a clearer picture as to the (effectiveness of) the response of other countries to containing those variants before they give a hard deadline for when, and in what respects, travel restrictions might be relaxed.

We already have fantastic research and results coming from israel that the vaccines are massively effective.

Against the variants that are in Israel.

We also know that the ‘kent’ variant is widely predicted to be the dominant strain of the virus and that it is kept at bay very well by vaccines. 

Yes but we know that there are variants in other countries that have similar properties to the Kent variant (hence we have imposed more stringent restrictions on travel from e.g. Brazil and Portugal) and we don’t yet know whether those would be kept at bay by the existing suite of vaccines.

The concern of the government is that a new variant might be (a) more transmissible (b) provide more resistance to the existing vaccines and (c) come here in sufficient numbers that test and trace and rules on isolation doesn’t adequately identify and contain potential cases, and that community transmission therefore ramps up again. That’s literally the whole point of the quarantine measures.

3 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

We're on course at the moment for around 24th April, however if we get back to 50k first jag rate (it's around 30k at the moment), then that date will shorten.  We're still on course for all adults jagged at least once by start of June.

The timetable of April 15 for over 50s and July 31 for all adult first doses doesn't seem particularly ambitious even if supplies only ever get back to what they were a week or two ago.

If we did 30k a day - what we're doing now on the lower supply - up until March 15 we'd be at about 2.1m total doses delivered (across first and second). If we then did 50k a day for the next 30 days - not even getting back to what the actual capacity was earlier this month - we'd hit roughly 3.6m doses delivered by April 15. The JCVI list in Scotland suggests there are about 3.3m over 50 and/or with an underlying condition under that age. There is almost certainly some double counting in there, and even hitting 90% of those people would be an incredible achievement. You likely only need just over 3m doses to have done everyone that is willing and able to get a jag on the JCVI list.

Obviously we'll need to be well in to second doses by that stage, but even without actually getting back up to what was full speed two weeks ago we could make April 15.

Today's Scottish Mail on Sunday suggests we could have 100k doses a day available by some point next month. Even if we take that estimate as being quite a bit too high and coming early, and it ends up being 80k a day available as of April 1 we'd be well able to get back to over 60k a day actually going into arms. Given we were doing 60k a day when the clientele were the over 70s attending in the worst snow for 10 years - and that we are still early in the mass vaccination programme and they'll only get more efficient as they go - you have to assume we can actually get more people in the door than the 60k we managed earlier in February.

Many assumptions involved in the above - but I think they're fairly conservative given what we know at the moment and what's being said going forward. If it does come to pass that we hit all over 50s by April 15 *and* the supply keeps up there's no reason we can't have hit all over 16s/18s by the end of June while also getting second doses out there to everyone who needs them as and when they hit the 12 week gap.

9 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Today's Scottish Mail on Sunday suggests we could have 100k doses a day available by some point next month. 

That seems absolutely impossible.

400k per week is as good as it's going to get. Considering that is 2m in 5 weeks, however, that's a signifcant pace.

Screenshot_20210113-210028_Dropbox.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 hours ago, 101 said:

Not if we don't renew trident. I genuinely can't believe it appears we are going to renew it without any second thought. We could also sell the House of Commons, after the pandemic is over we can't just go for austerity again well if that's their plan I hope Scotland can disappear into the sunset leaving them far behind.

We could always just drop the pretence that the deficit was debt funded rather than an a monetary expansion. >3/4 of gilts were acquired by the BoE. 

https://www.omfif.org/2021/01/the-bank-of-england-nearly-financed-the-deficit-does-it-matter/

5 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

The timetable of April 15 for over 50s and July 31 for all adult first doses doesn't seem particularly ambitious even if supplies only ever get back to what they were a week or two ago.

If we did 30k a day - what we're doing now on the lower supply - up until March 15 we'd be at about 2.1m total doses delivered (across first and second). If we then did 50k a day for the next 30 days - not even getting back to what the actual capacity was earlier this month - we'd hit roughly 3.6m doses delivered by April 15. The JCVI list in Scotland suggests there are about 3.3m over 50 and/or with an underlying condition under that age. There is almost certainly some double counting in there, and even hitting 90% of those people would be an incredible achievement. You likely only need just over 3m doses to have done everyone that is willing and able to get a jag on the JCVI list.

Obviously we'll need to be well in to second doses by that stage, but even without actually getting back up to what was full speed two weeks ago we could make April 15.

Today's Scottish Mail on Sunday suggests we could have 100k doses a day available by some point next month. Even if we take that estimate as being quite a bit too high and coming early, and it ends up being 80k a day available as of April 1 we'd be well able to get back to over 60k a day actually going into arms. Given we were doing 60k a day when the clientele were the over 70s attending in the worst snow for 10 years - and that we are still early in the mass vaccination programme and they'll only get more efficient as they go - you have to assume we can actually get more people in the door than the 60k we managed earlier in February.

Many assumptions involved in the above - but I think they're fairly conservative given what we know at the moment and what's being said going forward. If it does come to pass that we hit all over 50s by April 15 *and* the supply keeps up there's no reason we can't have hit all over 16s/18s by the end of June while also getting second doses out there to everyone who needs them as and when they hit the 12 week gap.

80k daily doses would have a significant impact on timelines.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

That seems absolutely impossible

Screenshot_20210113-210028_Dropbox.jpg

I mean I thought it was likely a massive overestimate, however that list is now from about six weeks ago and who knows how things like delivery schedules have moved since then.

Even at that level of supply 15/4 should be feasible.

24 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

No its exactly because of hypothetical variants, thats exactly what clownshoes has been saying. We already have fantastic research and results coming from israel that the vaccines are massively effective. We also know that the ‘kent’ variant is widely predicted to be the dominant strain of the virus and that it is kept at bay very well by vaccines. 

Israel are exclusively using the Pfizer vaccine. We're not. 

6 minutes ago, coprolite said:

We could always just drop the pretence that the deficit was debt funded rather than an a monetary expansion. >3/4 of gilts were acquired by the BoE. 

https://www.omfif.org/2021/01/the-bank-of-england-nearly-financed-the-deficit-does-it-matter/

Let's assume I'm as thick as shite (not a huge leap). What does that mean?

6 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I mean I thought it was likely a massive overestimate, however that list is now from about six weeks ago and who knows how things like delivery schedules have moved since then.

Even at that level of supply 15/4 should be feasible.

You're right, i'd be surprised if it has increased, though, especially to the levels required for 700k or 560k per week.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Let's assume I'm as thick as shite (not a huge leap). What does that mean?

Think of it as a borrowing the cash from your mum and dad. Gov are borrowing from B of E.