Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Burnieman said:

The joys of having a privately run big hoose full of Covid lags on your patch.

I wonder what the rate would be if they were discounted.

Was wondering where you were. You cant blame Tom Johnston 😀

Forget prison Blackburn 451 cases per 100K

Edited by superbigal

23 minutes ago, madwullie said:

You think we should end restrictions based on data from israel who are using different vaccines and a different dosing regimen? 

Fair enough, but I don't think you're going to get what you want. 

We should use the existing data from countries that are far more advanced in their vaccination program to understand how quickly restrictions can be binned yes. In the same way that EU countries will use UK data and African countries will use data from the developed world to inform their planning.

Best we're getting is to open up based on the data we gather from our vaccinations and what happens in our hospitals and icus over the next few months. 

So 'wait and see' drivel then, that bakes in weeks and months of needless restrictions as Clownshoes Leitch and the guys squint at figures to work out what's happening weeks after the fact (see their farcical claims about the R number until a fortnight ago) and provides businesses with absolutely no clarity or rational basis for forward planning.

It's almost as if the UK governments are not very competent!

I harped on about this a week ago....

Case numbers have platuaued. I imagine most would agree with that. They've done so at a fairly high level (about 850) and despite being 'lockdown', the case numbers are stubbornly high.

I personally think there should come a point where case numbers become irrelevant, but unfortunately NS doesn't agree with that.

I really don't know where we go from here. Case numbers stuck at 850 odds + in a lockdown = stuck in limbo.

7 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Case numbers have platuaued. I imagine most would agree with that. They've done so at a fairly high level (about 850) and despite being 'lockdown', the case numbers are stubbornly high.

I personally think there should come a point where case numbers become irrelevant, but unfortunately NS doesn't agree with that.

I really don't know where we go from here. Case numbers stuck at 850 odds + in a lockdown = stuck in limbo.

Haven't you heard? There was a queue at a couple of chain coffee stores' drive throughs yesterday. The proletariat are seizing power.

11 minutes ago, Steven W said:

The 7 day average is 807. With absolutely no context as to how many of those are asymptomatic / mild / severe it's hard to draw much from it, though.

I would expect that cases number to decrease as we head into spring, but the numbers that really matter are those that are going in to hospital. And I have absolutely no doubt that the number in (and going in) to hospital will continue to decline as we continue vaccinating from most to least vulnerable.

We achieved ICU admissions of less than 1 per day last year without vaccines, so there is no reason to expect anything more this year. The main difference is that there is no reason we should expect them to subsequently increase again.

Edited by Todd_is_God

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The 7 day average is 807. With absolutely no context as to how many of those are asymptomatic / mild / severe it's hard to draw much from it, though.

I would expect that cases number to decrease as we head into spring, but the numbers that really matter are those that are going in to hospital. And I have absolutely no doubt that the number in (and going in) to hospital will continue to decline as we continue vaccinating from most to least vulnerable.

We achieved ICU admissions of less than 1 per day last year without vaccines, so there is no reason to expect anything more this year.

I’d expect it to happen a lot quicker than after the first wave as well.  Looking at the graphs on travelling tabby and comparing the first wave to the second the upward trajectory is roughly comparable between the two.  The down slope on the second wave is significantly steeper than the first.

image.thumb.jpeg.888067bead39a3dddcd8b9123f29c970.jpeg

ETA ICU numbers look to be declining at a slightly slower rate than general admissions, reflecting the better treatment available.

Neither of the above observations should be surprising.

Edited by Left Back

33 minutes ago, virginton said:

We should use the existing data from countries that are far more advanced in their vaccination program to understand how quickly restrictions can be binned yes. In the same way that EU countries will use UK data and African countries will use data from the developed world to inform their planning.

So 'wait and see' drivel then, that bakes in weeks and months of needless restrictions as Clownshoes Leitch and the guys squint at figures to work out what's happening weeks after the fact (see their farcical claims about the R number until a fortnight ago) and provides businesses with absolutely no clarity or rational basis for forward planning.

It's almost as if the UK governments are not very competent!

OK. Well you should be prepared to be disappointed. 

The UK govt has been pretty gung ho a few times in the past 12 months and totally fucked it - so I can't see them doing anything other than removing restrictions based on what our data shows. The Scottish govt has been more conservative, so there's f**k all chance there. 

Are any other countries currently opening up based on the Israeli data? Last I saw they themselves were only opening museums etc to the public, and everything else will require a vaccine passport - and they were estimating 90% vaccinated needed for herd immunity. And they're months ahead of us in this process. 

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

We achieved ICU admissions of less than 1 per day last year without vaccines, so there is no reason to expect anything more this year. The main difference is that there is no reason we should expect them to subsequently increase again.

I agree with you about case numbers not mattering too much. As I said earlier though, it would seem NS disagrees on this.

And when I say 'stuck in limbo' I appreciate that, going by last year, they should drop come late spring. But for the next few months I can't see them dropping to such an extent that it would allow the FM to relax restrictions (assuming the easing is to be 'data led')

4 hours ago, Elixir said:

Anti-vaxxers are essentially scum, but the simple fact is we are going to reach such a high degree of vaccine coverage in the UK, combined with the estimated ~33% of people exposed and recovered through natural infection, that there is no need to mandate anything. Even without a vaccine, the epidemic would eventually wane, it would just take longer and be a more painful process.

You don't know that we're going to reach "such a high degree of vaccine coverage in the UK" or how quickly we're going to do it.

4 hours ago, Elixir said:

The scientific consensus is quite clear that SARS-CoV-2 will eventually be de-risked to the level of the more then 200 respiratory viruses which circulate in humans, which we control due to vaccination and/or acquired immunity. Your clear advocacy to generate a 'your papers, please' dystopian society is ultimately going to be pointless as levels of hospitalisation and death return to normal levels.

International travel as a UK citizen and in almost all developed countries literally requires a state-issued biometric passport not to mention for many people a state-issued visa. The idea that mandating someone has a vaccine before they can travel is a "your papers please dystopian society" is for the birds.

4 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

You don't know that we're going to reach "such a high degree of vaccine coverage in the UK" or how quickly we're going to do it.

International travel as a UK citizen and in almost all developed countries literally requires a state-issued biometric passport not to mention for many people a state-issued visa. The idea that mandating someone has a vaccine before they can travel is a "your papers please dystopian society" is for the birds.

He isn’t talking about international travel though is he?