Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I genuinely believe this shite is the reason why folk were so gloomy yesterday.

Boris Johnson - a man with a track record of lying to everyone, including the electorate, throughout his entire political career, has told folk this is what to expect. Or rather - sorry - has carefully cherry-picked his words to allow people to believe this is what to expect.

There's absolutely no way the reaction to Sturgeon was going to be even slightly positive unless she'd come out and announced the pubs and clubs were open this coming weekend and everyone had VIP passes.

I blame the press he was pretty clear but the press have ditched the "not before" bit and printed "get pushed on this day" of course his cabinet haven't exactly pished on the fires by telling everyone to calm down.

But you're right unless Nicola had an air horn screaming that pubs were open it was always going to be a bit of a "meh" statement she needs to provide clarity quickly but had positioned herself far better than Boris particularly by having the scope to move things forward I guess we all got a very public lesson on the professional differences between a Lawyer and a Journalist, one it is pertinent to add, was sacked for lying.

33 minutes ago, 101 said:

Anyone else thinks this look like hell on earth?

Also anyone going straight back into Wetherspoons deserves 12 months lockdown extension.

Tune IMO

3 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Why would a business demand a system that might exclude customers?
Why would they get sued if someone catches covid on their premises? A business isn’t held responsible for a customer catching a respiratory infection from another customer

Businesses will be disciplined to demand it by insurance companies and council licensing. 

Either 100% capacity with the Blair approved Serco Exclusion Infrastructure or 25% if operating a pre Covid entry system. 

Edited by Detournement

2 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
2 hours ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

Yeah,I just don't understand why there isn't a specific effort being mounted to vaccinate all school employees in the time between now and reopening. I know some on here raised the possibility of other occupations demanding special queue jumping permission, but if schools have been "infection factories" all this time, surely we should be starting this road to normality with as many protections as possible?

School employees are not driving the numbers caused by infection factories - and those who are at risk will be vaccinated soon. The infections will be driven by the mixing of 20-30 kids indoors on an ongoing basis and then bringing it back to their household, and you cannot vaccinate children yet (which I find ludicrous, but here we are) to solve that problem. 

School opening should have been punted into the tier system like everything else. 

Edited by vikingTON

School employees are not driving the numbers caused by infection factories - and those who are at risk will be vaccinated soon. The infections will be driven by the mixing of 20-30 kids indoors on an ongoing basis and then bringing it back to their household, and you cannot vaccinate children yet (which I find ludicrous, but here we are) to solve that problem. 
School opening should have been punted into the tier system like everything else. 
Again, I'm not an expert, but perhaps you could explain why vaccination of all employees before the reopening would not have at least some beneficial effect, rather than wait for "soon", which won't be soon enough to stop an outbreak.

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:

Yin and Yang

Asked about opening up for the summer, Nicola Sturgeon says she hopes to see the Scotland football team play England in June at Wembley but says she cannot give a cast iron guarantee that fans will be able to make their way to London.

A statement yesterday on the roadmap from my local SNP MSP goes some way further than that:

Compared to the announcements made by the Prime Minister on how restrictions will be eased elsewhere in the UK, the First Minister’s statement adopts a more cautious approach. As an example, Boris Johnson wants to see a full return to normality in England by 21 June. Coincidently, the Euro 2021 football tournament begins on 11 June with the first match in the UK taking place on 13 June. At the same time, the PM has said it will take until the end of July for all adults in the UK to be offered their first dose of the vaccine. Therefore, the drive to have people in football stadia for Euro 2021 looks like it is being rushed before the vaccination programme has been completed.

In contrast, I firmly believe that the Scottish Government’s approach balances expectations while being honest with the population that we’re still very much in the midst of a pandemic.

Where to even begin with this blubbering, non-sequitur drivel, honestly. 

5 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Sounds like good old British exceptionalism to me. 

See also: free born Englishmen won't suffer being locked down; Masks are culturally inappropriate in Scotland, amongst others. 

Like @Detournement says above, if you own a business and can have 25% of your premises filled with social distancing and no passport, or the place jumping with a passport, there's only really one option

Edited by madwullie

3 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Posters with WEANS, will you be vaxxing them when it comes online assuming the trials etc go well? 

I'm assuming that if tests go well then the kids might get a vaccination along with their flu jags - as mine have always had those then i'd have no issue with them getting a COVID jag either

3 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Again, I'm not an expert, but perhaps you could explain why vaccination of all employees before the reopening would not have at least some beneficial effect, rather than wait for "soon", which won't be soon enough to stop an outbreak.

Vaccinating employees will not stop an outbreak when the non-vaccinated to vaccinated ratio in their indoor workplace is 25:1 if not higher. Would you similarly expect vaccinating prison officers to stop an outbreak taking place at a prison?

The beneficial effects on transmission are marginal while the costs of not vaccinating priority health groups are higher, though not by too much IMO. 

Edited by vikingTON

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

If the schools are the 'Infection Factories' you bang on about most of them would have already achieved herd immunity and there would be many large local clusters linked to schools (there were only a couple that I can recall).

There was a Norwegian study which proved schools are safe which looks a lot more credible than listening to the permanently angry guy who posts photos of Ainsley Harriot.

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.26.1.2002011

21 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If the schools are the 'Infection Factories' you bang on about most of them would have already achieved herd immunity and there would be many large local clusters linked to schools (there were only a couple that I can recall).

There was a Norwegian study which proved schools are safe which looks a lot more credible than listening to the permanently angry guy who posts photos of Ainsley Harriot.

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.26.1.2002011

One study doesn't 'prove' anything champ and the government's own actions speak for themselves. We were told schools were safe and yet transmission has ticked up ever since they were opened in August; 'circuit breakers' have been implemented to take advantage of holidays when they are no longer spreading plague as much; before they then had to be closed down for fully two months at the start of this year because, err, they were driving up the infection rate and overwhelming the NHS! A solution whose impracticality was ridiculed by chumps like yourself until... the Government caved in to the facts that were pointed out on here and of course elsewhere and did it no bother. 

If you believe that a fraction of the public getting Covid in a work or employment setting at any one time confers herd immunity then supermarkets, care homes etc. must be bastions of herd immunity by now as well and so we can open up everything tomorrow with no ill effects.

Edited by vikingTON

The debate about much kids contribute to infection rates aside, vaccinating staff wouldn't be much help dealing with community transmission if it were the case. 

For example if I were to be vaccinated, but it was to spread around my class they could potentially be taking it home and spreading to their parents.  So I may be protected, but there is a scenario whereby 20-odd sets of parents would be infected.  

Any teachers who need the vaccine by virtue of age or health concerns will be done fairly quickly (if not already done so).  I get there are some that are concerned about covid, or potentially transmitting it to someone vulnerable they know but that's a risk for anyone who is currently working.  I'll happily take the jab, but I'll wait my turn.  

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

One study doesn't 'prove' anything champ and the government's own actions speak for themselves. We were told schools were safe and yet transmission has ticked up ever since they were opened in August, 'circuit breakers' have been implemented to take advantage of holidays when they are no longer spreading plague as much before they then had to be closed down for fully two months at the start of this year because, err, they were driving up the infection rate and overwhelming the NHS! A solution whose impracticality was ridiculed by chumps like yourself until... the Government caved in to the facts that were pointed out on here and of course elsewhere and did it no bother. 

If you believe that a fraction of the public getting Covid in a work or employment setting at any one time confers herd immunity then supermarkets, care homes etc. must be bastions of herd immunity by now as well and so we can open up everything tomorrow with no ill effects.

what is it they say "swing and a miss champ"

Screenshot_20210215-175325~2.png