Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, virginton said:

That's just not true though. Out of work benefit is an absolutely tiny fraction of government welfare spending in the UK today, while furlough is a much more expensive policy. The dole will not be increased to a credible minimum standard precisely because of furlough. It has created a nice little two-tier system of support that keeps just enough Tory voters protected from the natural comeuppance of their poor-baiting worldview. 

Furlough was an emergency scheme - that emergency no longer exists and it should therefore be wrapped up. 

Depends how long you can bounce back from being on benefits once you start having employment gaps it's harder to find jobs obviously if you work in s sector decimated by Covid it's probably going to be easier to explain the gap and for the employer to be sympathetic. If not I still think it will be difficult, sadly the UK government don't make it clear how long the average person depends on benefits for (as far as I can see).

I think furlough has made it clear that UC isn't suitable and hopefully although I share your doubts that it will be bumped up, but if we see millions unemployed from a combination of Covid and Brexit then the cost will be more than the dole money that's due to them.

The emergency that Furlough was built to deal with will fade but it is reasonable to say that jobs that are unviable due to Government action ought to be protected or supported until that business diversifies.

An obvious example would be the UK government negotiations meaning that Seed Potatoes or BVM are impossible to export to formerly their biggest market, it would be reckless in the extreme to withdraw support ending these sectors and their fairly skilled work force especially BVM harvesting, sticking them on the dole until they can find an unskilled job or they retrain.

6 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Could you post a link please.

Left back posted one of them, the other was a video on her Twitter from earlier today 

* I don’t follow her, it had been retweeted. 

Ive got to laugh that she always mentions how Israel has a vaccine passport system. The wonderful Israel, such bastions of treating their citizens fairly and well 🙄

Edited by Thereisalight..

There's maybe an argument there regarding BGE kids, but again, given how much has been missed, extending this school year seems sensible.  
I'm genuinely astounded to learn that new timetables are anticipated in June for seniors.  It simply compresses things for now in a way that's not needed.
How else do you imagine Highers and Advanced Highers will be taught in the time left if we started back in August, when there is always a bit a hurry-up to get get completed when we start in June? Or are you thinking that next year's exams will be delayed too? (For those schools mental enough to try and do 6 or more National 5s in S4 without doing any work for them unofficially in S3 will find it even harder). When do you think the teachers (particularly Guidance staff) will get the transition stuff done for the new S1 intake (this is usually done partly during study leave but not having S1s for the month before the holidays normally gives some breathing room for that to be done)?

How do these utter weirdos not realise the two-tier dystopia introducing something like this would lead to? If it gets introduced it will never be repealed, even once it has become clear the risk from Covid is no greater than any other virus we have accepted living alongside. It will simply continue to be exploited and lead to other systems and can never be allowed to happen.

I can't remember hating someone as much as I hate her.

Edit: and the simple fact is we're looking at probably achieving vaccination rates of up to 90%+ in this country. Zero justification whatsoever for absurd nonsense like this. We can choose to move on from the pandemic, back to meaningful normal life, or forever be reminded of it, living in a world obsessed with micro-managing health.

Edited by Elixir

1 minute ago, KingswellsRed said:

Someone on just now almost suggesting we should follow New Zealand even after the vaccine  🧐

Considering New Zealand are going to let become endemic and a accepted risk after vaccination I can live with that.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It won't be a decision by the SQA that dictates when new timetables kick off though.  I'm surprised that it's something even authorities meddle in to be honest.  It seems daft to start the new school year at the normal time, when the previous one has been so distorted.

Courses are designed to start in May / June. If you leave them until August there isn't enough time to finish the course before May.

7 minutes ago, Elixir said:

How do these utter weirdos not realise the two-tier dystopia introducing something like this would lead to? If it gets introduced it will never be repealed, even once it has become clear the risk from Covid is no greater than any other virus we have accepted living alongside. It will simply continue to be exploited and lead to other systems and can never be allowed to happen.

Edit: and the simple fact is we're looking at probably achieving vaccination rates of up to 90%+ in this country. Zero justification whatsoever for absurd nonsense like this. We can choose to move on from the pandemic, back to meaningful normal life, or forever be reminded of it, living in a world obsessed with micro-managing health.

It's truly bizarre what's happening. In that quote from devi she mentions unvaccinated people shouldn't be allowed places where they can spread it. As far as I was aware the vaccine doesnt stop you from spreading it either? Just protects you from taking a bad reaction to it. Someone needs to call her out on her views and lies 

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

It's truly bizarre what's happening. In that quote from devi she mentions unvaccinated people shouldn't be allowed places where they can spread it. As far as I was aware the vaccine doesnt stop you from spreading it either? Just protects you from taking a bad reaction to it. Someone needs to call her out on her views and lies 

Thought a few recent studies showed that it was pretty effective at that too?

11 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Look on the bright side, it could lead to a revolution.....

Just now, Jan Vojáček said:

35 deaths registered overnight. 543 new cases (2.6% of tests), 750 people in hospital (-34 ), 69 patients in ICU (-2).

2.6 percent positvitity. Oaft.

Fantasic figures and everything moving in the right direction.

However, why is Sturgeon not presenting the briefing today.....she is so lazy....no wonder the Tories want a vote of no confidence !!

4 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

I took her to mean we would have to keep cases to close to zero but could be wrong.

No you'll be right. These morons appear to either ignore NZ's plans for after completion of the vaccine roll out, or are completely unaware of them.

It must be heartbreaking for the #ZeroCovid zealots to see their poster child / blueprint wanting to move on.

Edited by Todd_is_God

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Thought a few recent studies showed that it was pretty effective at that too?

It's certainly looking encouraging from the reports, but as usual I still see words in them like "may stop the spread". Its certainly never going to 100% eradicate the spread, but then again it doesnt need to when it basically stops all serious symptoms 

35 deaths registered overnight. 543 new cases (2.6% of tests), 750 people in hospital (-34 ), 69 patients in ICU (-2).
2.6 percent positivity. Oaft.
2.6% positivity and another good drop in hospital numbers. As I don't smoke, I'll have a virtual cigar.