Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

They deserve more than that regardless of job security. They could get a ferry across to Ireland and earn about £10K more than that. 

don't doubt your claim but it's not as simple as that.  Cost of living is higher in Ireland

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=Ireland

1 minute ago, Steven W said:

Sturgeon still fixated with case numbers.

It's getting a bit of a pain to hear all the time but i'm assuming they're keeping this up to try and help stop folks from just completely ignoring the restrictions that are there just now?

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

37,000 vaccys yesterday.

Reasonable but no more. 

The boy, Hugo Gye, who does the stats daily on Twitter days the supply tap switches back on from this weekend so should accelerate back to Dece levels then. 

13 minutes ago, Left Back said:

You're correct.  They pay themselves in dividends to pay substantially less tax.  It's a pretty widespread tactic among contractors.

That being the case I wonder if hypothetically they would support dividends being taxed in the same was as income to fund support from the Government?

8 minutes ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

It's getting a bit of a pain to hear all the time but i'm assuming they're keeping this up to try and help stop folks from just completely ignoring the restrictions that are there just now?

Who knows, but it'll be a bizarre moment when she suddenly goes "Cases? We don't care about stinking cases."

No point in hanging on the words - we'll do the same as England. The briefings are pointless now.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

don't doubt your claim but it's not as simple as that.  Cost of living is higher in Ireland

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=Ireland

Fair point. Cost of living in the USA and Canada is similar to the UK, both those countries nurses are in the top 10 paid in the world. The UK is well down that list, nowhere near the top 10. 

7 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Leitch quite positive about the data today. Quite right too, it’s all going the right way and very quickly.

Aye, but he also spent a chunk of it warning us that cases are rising across largely unvaccinated Europe, all the while completely ignoring the successful vaccine programme over here.

Half the time it feels like the vaccine programme isn't actually happening.

Edited by Steven W

1 minute ago, Steven W said:

Aye, but he also spent a chunk of it warning us that cases are rising across largely unvaccinated Europe, all the while completely ignoring the successful vaccine programme over here.

To be fair he did address that point in terms of WHO telling countries to get their finger out with vaccines and emphasised that we are going in the opposite direction than a lot of Europe is.

The hospital figures are continuing to drop like a stone. That’s surely going to slow down? If that kind of drop sustains the actual hospital numbers will be negligible in the next three or four week.

5 minutes ago, PWL said:

Reasonable but no more. 

The boy, Hugo Gye, who does the stats daily on Twitter days the supply tap switches back on from this weekend so should accelerate back to Dece levels then. 

Didn't NS say in the briefing that they were expecting another supply issue next week?

Sounds to me very much like the Scottish Government have seen the backlash regarding their negativity and are now having to adjust their tone accordingly, not least because the data already merits this. Even on international travel, I think they realise it's inevitable that we'll be opened up by midsummer.

A friend of mine is comfortably making 25k in her role (can't remember which band but she isn't in any supervisory role) and as you say the offer for overtime is always there. It's hardly as if they are on minimum wage. It's a comfortable position with good job security.
Not for a second saying it is an easy profession however and I can only imagine the strain of the last year has had on them. 

Sorry, but “comfortably making £25k” a year is pretty much bang on the Scottish average wage. You’re making it out to be that they’re raking it in being a big standard nurse. They’re not.

15 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Sorry, I wasnt aware. If you aren't at these games I'm going to make it my business to see Nippy is out on her arse 

Thank you, brother. I've got a Croatia top and a very basic understanding of the language so it's my chance to get on the tele.

Sounds to me very much like the Scottish Government have seen the backlash regarding their negativity and are now having to adjust their tone accordingly, not least because the data already merits this. Even on international travel, I think they realise it's inevitable that we'll be opened up by midsummer.
Or most folk could see things were always going to go like this and only the heads gone mob were ever in a "backlash" for no real reason in the first place.

Just now, Adam said:

Sorry, but “comfortably making £25k” a year is pretty much bang on the Scottish average wage. You’re making it out to be that they’re raking it in being a big standard nurse. They’re not.

They're doing fine, plenty are still worrying about how they're getting through this shitshow. 

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Fair point. Cost of living in the USA and Canada is similar to the UK, both those countries nurses are in the top 10 paid in the world. The UK is well down that list, nowhere near the top 10. 

Easy to pay your nurses better in the US when a broken leg sets you back £10k, in fairness. 

Pay is an issue in the UK, though.