Coronavirus (COVID-19)

15 minutes ago, 101 said:

That being the case I wonder if hypothetically they would support dividends being taxed in the same was as income to fund support from the Government?

I've got friends that are contractors and do the whole limited company thing (tax dodging to give it it's real name).  Up in arms that the only support they can get is a bounceback loan (that they have to repay) rather than the "wages" other people are getting.

As you say live by the sword, die by the sword.  f**k 'em. If you don't pay into the membership of the club you shouldn't be able to use the clubs facilities.

They're doing fine, plenty are still worrying about how they're getting through this shitshow. 

Are they? There was a study reported in the Guardian last September that showed a 50% rise in the number of nurses leaving the profession within the first three years of qualifying compared to figures from 2013.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

I've got friends that are contractors and do the whole limited company thing (tax dodging to give it it's real name).  Up in arms that the only support they can get is a bounceback loan (that they have to repay) rather than the "wages" other people are getting.

As you say live by the sword, die by the sword.  f**k 'em. If you don't pay into the membership of the club you shouldn't be able to use the clubs facilities.

Folk need to suck it up if they lose out due to their own ways of dealing with tax, unfortunately too many genuinely feel it's their right to have their cake and eat it. 

16 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Sounds to me very much like the Scottish Government have seen the backlash regarding their negativity and are now having to adjust their tone accordingly, not least because the data already merits this. Even on international travel, I think they realise it's inevitable that we'll be opened up by midsummer.

Sounds to me very much like the Scottish Government have seen the backlash regarding Elixir's negativity and are now having to adjust their tone accordingly, not least because the data already merits this. Even on international travel, I think they realise it's inevitable that we'll be opened up by midsummer.

A 1% pay increase is pretty shite and sends the wrong message when the NHS is going to need more staff to deal with burnout/Brexit. I'm not convinced that pay is the best solution as much as having better working conditions and balance though. This would also cost money to implement but would actually be a more sustainable way forward than just shovelling money at people to keep working under the same sub-optimal conditions and I'm not sure why unions aren't visibly pushing for that instead. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 minute ago, Adam said:

Are they? There was a study reported in the Guardian last September that showed a 50% rise in the number of nurses leaving the profession within the first three years of qualifying compared to figures from 2013.

All I ever hear is they're not in it for the cash whilst moaning about the cash, maybe if we restructured the black hole that is the NHS then more of the cash could find it's way into the bank accounts of those nearer the bottom of the food chain within the NHS. 

20 minutes ago, Adam said:

Sorry, but “comfortably making £25k” a year is pretty much bang on the Scottish average wage. You’re making it out to be that they’re raking it in being a big standard nurse. They’re not.

£25k is  good wage if your a single guy and used to working a supermarket.!

£25k is  good wage if your a single guy and used to working a supermarket.!

You’re comparing apples and oranges here.

I’m not saying £25k a year is not a good wage, I’m saying it’s not the best if you’ve spent 3 or 4 years gaining a qualification to do the job.

Should also point out that a newly qualified nurse would not walk into a £25k a year position.

All I ever hear is they're not in it for the cash whilst moaning about the cash, maybe if we restructured the black hole that is the NHS then more of the cash could find it's way into the bank accounts of those nearer the bottom of the food chain within the NHS. 

I’d say it is a vocation for many, but even if it is, does that not give them the right to moan about their pay?

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

Am I being corrected here?

I never said its happening here, I don't know that's why I'm asking.

I don't have time to read all the posts, but I do my best and one example doesn't mean it doesn't happen in Scotland, as I said I don't know.

The other medias are starting to pick up on this so we will see if there is any Scottish feedback.

The best thing is to keep firing through the vaccination program as fast as we can manage and reach everyone. Those that have missed out or think they should be vaccinated now for medical reasons should shout out and let the NHS know.

No I'm just asking a question because it's interesting. Wasn't mean to come across like that at all

Edited by madwullie

3 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Sounds to me very much like the Scottish Government have seen the backlash regarding Elixir's negativity and are now having to adjust their tone accordingly, not least because the data already merits this. Even on international travel, I think they realise it's inevitable that we'll be opened up by midsummer.

The fact that Cyprus are already driving a bulldozer through the EU and Devi's beloved foreign travel bans by waving in British tourists already shows that it's not going to hold. Where they go, Greece and Portugal will follow. 

To think that just a few weeks ago the forum's resident, arch-fantasist and fraud nationalities expert HB/Anthony C Pick/Detournement was confidently asserting that sunshine breaks would not be happening in 2021. That'll be 2/2 utter failure predictions on the exact same restriction: you hate* to see it happen.

Spoiler

Nah not really.

A507576A-00E4-4BD1-BAD0-FF4BC5C5B220.thumb.jpeg.9f47449e99922f6c72fd556f864c42c5.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
28 minutes ago, Elixir said:
Sounds to me very much like the Scottish Government have seen the backlash regarding their negativity and are now having to adjust their tone accordingly, not least because the data already merits this. Even on international travel, I think they realise it's inevitable that we'll be opened up by midsummer.

Or most folk could see things were always going to go like this and only the heads gone mob were ever in a "backlash" for no real reason in the first place.

11 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

^^^ simp and simper

30 minutes ago, Elixir said:

What was said on travel? Ive stopped watching the briefing.

Any meaningful reform of the NHS to address these issues will probably never happen. Too difficult and especially under a Tory government will be doomed to fail from the start as the Unions will be on the defensive from the off. Maybe a diferent government will fair better, but good luck to them. 

Easier to chuck money at the problem, though granted Sunak has chucked pennies rather than pounds. 12.5% is equally delusional from whichever of the unions asked for it. 

The issue is too emotionally charged, too. Any comments about issues or inefficiencies are drowned out with comparisons of people in America being bankrupted by medical bills and "br grateful you've got it" type comments. 

1 minute ago, Adam said:

I’d say it is a vocation for many, but even if it is, does that not give them the right to moan about their pay?

Not in the same breath. 

14 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Folk need to suck it up if they lose out due to their own ways of dealing with tax, unfortunately too many genuinely feel it's their right to have their cake and eat it. 

Totally agree.  Listening to some of the "Excluded" harp on, you'd think they wanted to pay the same tax as the rest of us but were forced into becoming a limited company and paying less tax by their evil accountants.  Dividends are dividends, wages are wages.  They can GTF.  

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

What was said on travel? Ive stopped watching the briefing.

Basically they're moving to more open-ended language rather than the closed-off rhetoric they had been using up to this point. Thus enabling them to acquiesce to opening up the airports and borders once England does without it looking like a total U-turn.