Coronavirus (COVID-19)

We've also just waved through one utterly useless set of exam results as legit, and are now relying on teacher's best judgment for this year's lot, so that's exam/result stress eased as well. 

Not actually what's happening.

There are no teacher's best judgement - inferred levels - this year.

Most schools will be using the amended SQA papers - pupils will need to have completed that assessment.

Even then it is not down to an individual teacher's marking - schools are currently going through standardisation processes for the assessment within their local authority and between local authorities - to ensure greater consistency in marking.

Schools have to internally verify assessments - cross-marked by another teacher - most LAs will then cross-mark again in the LA. Estimates will then be based on these assessments - even then LAs will check before submitting.

Most schools have barely scratched the surface with assessments - no prelims and little or no SQA assessment carried out due to the late issue of assessment - schools will be doing most of this in May - the pressure is in no way off pupils.

The thing is it could have been less if that arsehole Swinney had made the decision a lot earlier and put a lot less trust in the incompetents at SQA.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, virginton said:
You still haven't answered my question champ.
Another day, another 6-0, 6-0 shoeing on this thread for Billy Jean.

I have zero idea what your "question" was. All I saw was a rant about barbers v schools which you invented then started arguing as if you had adopted a position based on someone else's opinion but hey ho nothing new there then. Anyway you'll be back in attending to the boiler and mopping up the spilt packed lunches again now the kids you love so much are back in your workplace. Enjoy !

Which would make him a qualified heating engineer and taking home a fairly decent salary then. Even then that’s only factoring in the jobs going through the books and not the “homers” of course. 

Point being if you’re going to try talk down someone’s job that’s a poorly thought out (did you even think?)  example you’ve used.

Which would make him a qualified heating engineer and taking home a fairly decent salary then. Even then that’s only factoring in the jobs going through the books and not the “homers” of course. 
Point being if you’re going to try talk down someone’s job that’s a poorly thought out (did you even think?)  example you’ve used.
It has been deduced by some that VT has some experience of working in the education system - I assume the dig is that it was as a janny.

Given he's dropped hints about his History qualifications you'd assume History teacher or lecturer.

16 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It has been deduced by some that VT has some experience of working in the education system - I assume the dig is that it was as a janny.

Given he's dropped hints about his History qualifications you'd assume History teacher or lecturer.

Ink monitor imho.

10 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Aye I know, but the tone and wording of Billy Jean King’s post seemed to insinuate that tending to boilers was a menial, low paid job. I was merely pointing out that it is neither and was a crap example of a job to use if he’s trying to demean him.

For those interested in the R Value in Scotland today's figure is being estimated as between 0.6-0.8

The document also specifically states " Hospital bed and ICU occupancy are projected to fall over the next few weeks, but with the potential to plateau, or increase as a result of schools reopening."

Scot Gov Publication.

Lollipop man?

Barbers opening next week in Wales, as are garden centres and some retail the week after. Going by the article, all shops to open in a few weeks in line with England’s date of 12th April.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56363367

You would like to think when Nicola does her updated roadmap next week, she is better advised that the awful outline she delivered last month. Stop fantasising about unknown variants and start to “read the room” better and match great vaccine figures with a few grown-up things being reopened, since churches and schools appear to be fine. 

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

I think you're missing the point of what I'm saying, but we'll agree to disagree.

Ok

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

I think you're missing the point of what I'm saying, but we'll agree to disagree.

If you want. I didn't express it well but fine. You're talking about older kids. I'm talking about younger kids. Point is plenty of kids have had a shite time of it, and having more access to leisure stuff than we have doesn't really make that much difference to the ones I'm talking about. Just because we fondly remember our early teenage years and have worked with kids in this bracket - they're not all like that. I know plenty of PS age are in a shit place mentally, and I bow to your knowledge about current secondary kids, but exam candidates so seem to be having a mare considering what my old colleagues have been telling me. 

Tbh I was annoyed by the previous post and should have held off berfoe replying to yours and was unnecessary snarky. Apologies for that 

Edit: can't delete double quote 

Edited by madwullie

There is an article in The Times linking Scottish football grounds to high covid death rates. 

It's probably the worst article I have read over the last year, truly unbelievable shark jumping stuff. 

No mention of the time of deaths given no one has been to a football match in one whole year. 

My favourite but was linking St Mirren with its rural hinterlands of Langbank and Howwood. 

The correlation with poverty is only mentioned at the bottom of the article. 

Screenshot_20210312_064807_uk.co.thetimes.jpg

7 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

For those interested in the R Value in Scotland today's figure is being estimated as between 0.6-0.8

The document also specifically states " Hospital bed and ICU occupancy are projected to fall over the next few weeks, but with the potential to plateau, or increase as a result of schools reopening."

Scot Gov Publication.

Did anyone on this thread ever apologise for being so wrong about the schools' roles in driving infection numbers?

Did anyone on this thread ever apologise for being so wrong about the schools' roles in driving infection numbers?

Yes. It was on the same page as the apology someone gave for declaring this over as a public health emergency in August.

Insinuating there is something negative and embarrassing about being a janitor, and using that to try and insult someone, isn’t a great look tbh.
Ha ha. In the context of VT the failed teacher / janitor insinuation has been used for yonks on here due to his anti kids / school / teacher stance over the period. Surprised you have never seen the reference made before. All about context.

Aye I know, but the tone and wording of Billy Jean King’s post seemed to insinuate that tending to boilers was a menial, low paid job. I was merely pointing out that it is neither and was a crap example of a job to use if he’s trying to demean him.
Nope it was as stated ie a reference (used frequently in the past on here) to the source of his anti everything teaching related stance on here.

There is an article in The Times linking Scottish football grounds to high covid death rates. 
It's probably the worst article I have read over the last year, truly unbelievable shark jumping stuff. 
No mention of the time of deaths given no one has been to a football match in one whole year. 
My favourite but was linking St Mirren with its rural hinterlands of Langbank and Howwood. 

Screenshot_20210312_064807_uk_co.thetimes.thumb.jpg.5aa0cb071173d93586453f4d5e3caa60.jpg
There were identical articles yesterday linking Liverpool, the six nations and Cheltenham in most papers to be fair.

55 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Screenshot_20210312_064807_uk.co.thetimes.jpg

It only it linking 2 grounds to deaths, it's almost certainly bullshit but maybe Ibrox and Celtic Park should be shut for 100 years just to be in the safe side?

That’s my daughter (33) and son who recently turned 30 both been offered their vaccine and booked in for next week. My sons partner who’s 25 also got offered it but she refused it as she’s pregnant. All have no health conditions and are a reasonable healthy. They all stay in Dumfries where quite a number of healthy 20/30 year olds are now being offered the vaccine.