Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

That the data coming out regarding not only protection given and severity reduced, but vaccine effects in reduction in transmission leads him to believe that the vaccine uptake is going to put us in a better place in terms of removing restrictions.

It was pretty non-specific but it at least was optimistic. 

Yep, much better than what that dentist gimp usually has to say.

and do people still get bank holidays?  I had't had a days holiday at Easter for years until a couple of years ago when i moved into a different sector (from oil and gas) and even they have given up on bank holidays and you can take the days off anytime you want.
I seriously don't even know what month easter is in this year (or other years to be honest) I know I could look it up right now but it is surely only observed by religious people.

Many people are still off for the two days, and it's a popular time for holidays in a normal situation. 2nd and 5th April this year.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

and do people still get bank holidays?  I had't had a days holiday at Easter for years until a couple of years ago when i moved into a different sector (from oil and gas) and even they have given up on bank holidays and you can take the days off anytime you want.

I seriously don't even know what month easter is in this year (or other years to be honest) I know I could look it up right now but it is surely only observed by religious people.

The majority of the working population will get Good Friday and Easter Monday as holidays I'd have thought.

Deepti Gurdasani is going to need a “Heads Gone” thread all to herself 
I caught a bit of what she was saying pre briefing, seemed to be very much on the side of the main players on here about how schools drive transmission and should remain closed.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Is that on top of your statutory 28 days? Seems like a way to do folk out of holidays by rolling the holidays all into one. 

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Is that on top of your statutory 28 days? Seems like a way to do folk out of holidays by rolling the holidays all into one. 

Statutory 28 days include bank holidays.

Much I’m in a similar position to Caledonian1.  Much prefer it that way,  why the f**k would you want your work telling you when you are off?  

4 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Much I’m in a similar position to Caledonian1.  Much prefer it that way,  why the f**k would you want your work telling you when you are off?  

Our work have them as floating days, if you want to work you can and take the hours off later, if you don't want to work then take it off. I see that as a good compromise. It lets those with young families get time off when their kids are out of school and lets those without kids choose between a day off now or later. 

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Our work have them as floating days, if you want to work you can and take the hours off later, if you don't want to work then take it off. I see that as a good compromise. It lets those with young families get time off when their kids are out of school and lets those without kids choose between a day off now or later. 

Isn’t that basically the same as a normal holiday? Those that want the day off can, and those who want a different day off also can.

41 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

CMO for Scotland coming away with a lot of optimism and hopeful language here at NS's briefing regarding the country being in a better place very soon indeed.

The content of what he is saying is the sort of messaging that many have wanted to come from the SG for a long, long time. 

He did come across as slightly optimistic. I doubt we will be seeing him at any further briefings.

In Scotland don't we tend to get only one of the days (I know I've been in school on Easter Monday before but we usually get Good Friday off even if it falls outside the Easter break).

In England they seemed to observe it quite religiously (with all puns intended). When I lived down south the shops were either closed on Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday or had severely restricted opening hours. Even the big supermarkets were closed very early. The one good point was that there was plenty of live sport on, with football and rugby fixtures all over the place and usually a Match of the Day at night.

Just now, parsforlife said:

Isn’t that basically the same as a normal holiday? Those that want the day off can, and those who want a different day off also can.

Not really - the work deem the company "closed" at Easter but we still have shift workers on. Because shift workers are still on, they give the choice to the rest of the workers. The time at Easter is already removed from my holiday entitlement and I only get it back if I work those days. 

52 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

One thing that sticks in my mind from an early online funeral 11 months ago was the feeling that in a few months time we would all gather together and have a proper send off for my uncle . Time just keeps going and going and now this week his wife will be cremated , again online only and limited to direct family etc with the same promise of a get together in the future. 

I hope for the healing and grieving all these get togethers can happen soon and the people can be remembered in the way they should be.

Surely if they have opened up the places of worship to 50 people then you would have thought that weddings and funerals would be the same.  I would argue that if a minister or priest is conducting the service at the crematorium  then it should be considered as a place of worship.

1 hour ago, dirty dingus said:

Wonder if they are a bit worried with the sensational blood clot headlines.

If you're mass-vaccinating sections of the population that are more susceptible to certain medical problems (i.e. because of age or underlying health conditions), it doesn't take a genus to work out that members of that population will coincidentally face those medical problems at some point after receiving their vaccine.

To suggest otherwise is to suggest that nobody anywhere was ever going to get ill (or indeed die) again had the vaccines not come along.

The media just need to STFU and stop reporting this. If other countries want to set themselves back by several months based on anecdotal evidence, let them. But don't let it halt our progress.

Edited by The Master

34 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Do they? Never knew that. I get 11 days where everyone is off and 30 days for me to choose.

If you're mass-vaccinating sections of the population that are more susceptible to certain medical problems (i.e. because of age or underlying health conditions), it doesn't take a genus to work out that members of that population will coincidentally face those medical problems at some point after receiving their vaccine.
To suggest otherwise is to suggest that nobody anywhere was ever going to get ill (or indeed die) again had the vaccines not come along.
The media just need to STFU and stop reporting this. If other countries want to set themselves back by several months based on anecdotal evidence, let them. But don't let it halt our progress.

Agree with all your points other than our media shouldn’t report this. If our media don’t report it in a situation where other media outlets elsewhere are then it will merely fuel another anti-vaccination conspiracy story that we’re being lied to or important stuff is being kept from us. Better to report it and allow the story to be properly refuted IMHO.

21 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Other half just got her blue letter today, appointment is this Friday. She’s 29 with no underlying health issues so she’s no idea why her appointment has been scheduled, not that she’s complaining.

Whereabouts does she live? My boss is in her mid-30s with no underlying conditions and got her appointment last week - she phoned up NHSGGC and they said they'd sent some appointments out by mistake, but just to head along anyway.