Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Paco said:

The good news for foreign travel is that you can’t get variants if you’re rich.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/mar/23/covid-travel-rules-will-include-stanley-johnson-loophole-for-second-homes

I for one am absolutely gobsmacked at this two-tier society turn of events. Couldn’t possibly have seen it coming.

I feel the need to view some show homes in Europe.

There's clownshoes using the "greater domestic normality" chat again.

I genuinely despise the smug, condescending c**t.

For someone who claims to not be able to wait until it's over, he never misses an opportunity to be the centre of attention.

Edited by Todd_is_God

12 minutes ago, 101 said:

I of course think everyone should get the vaccine but can say I'm particularly happy with it becoming illegal to refuse.

And yet again UK government policy hits the telegraph before any official announcement, Boris and his chums leak like a sieve, disgraceful way to run a country.

I don't agree with this either, at least not for existing members of staff. New entrants are a different matter. 

Well-meaning, wrong approach. Another example of the Government being drunk on its emergency powers. 

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I don't agree with this either, at least not for existing members of staff. New entrants are a different matter. 

Would that make any sense, though?  At least initially, the vast majority wouldn't be covered.  It would take years for the longer service staff to work through the system.  

2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Would that make any sense, though?  At least initially, the vast majority wouldn't be covered.  It would take years for the longer service staff to work through the system.  

I am not comfortable with the vaccine being mandated by law for people thst have been doing their job for many years. The policy means well but I don't support it as the message it sends deeply troubles me (as have many of the Government's actions, to be honest).

I support the vaccine and I look forward to getting it myself (maybe May/June). I can't support the government mandating it like that. 

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I am not comfortable with the vaccine being mandated by law for people thst have been doing their job for many years. The policy means well but I don't support it as the message it sends deeply troubles me (as have many of the Government's actions, to be honest).

I support the vaccine and I look forward to getting it myself (maybe May/June). I can't support the government mandating it like that. 

I don't agree with compulsory vaccination either,  but would apply that to both old and new employees.   It's a can of worms that probably shouldn't be opened IMO.

25 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Well-meaning, wrong approach. Another example of the Government being drunk on its emergency powers. 

I think it's yet another cock up from Boris and co. What if you have allergies or are pregnant or have another medical condition meaning you cant get it, just seems very poorly thought through and this is when happens when policy faces scrutiny via the tame press rather than Parliament.

I really do get the sense that there are a group of public health experts hoping for a mega-variant that is resistant to all vaccines, that is more deadly, and so they can smugly keep the show on the road with lockdowns. 

Must be tough for some of these now-household names to know that every jab in every arm means that their days in the centre are ebbing away.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

In fairness to him, I watched this full interview and he said he thought there would be international travel corridors by the summer, and also made a specific point of saying that this was very easy for him to say when he didn't own an airline or a cottage in the South of France and his livelihood didn't depend on it. I thought the message from this interview was on the whole reasonably positive.

Edited by craigkillie

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I really do get the sense that there are a group of public health experts hoping for a mega-variant that is resistant to all vaccines, that is more deadly, and so they can smugly keep the show on the road with lockdowns. 

Must be tough for some of these now-household names to know that every jab in every arm means that their days in the centre are ebbing away.

I don't think that's true over all but there's probably one or two having their ego massively over inflated.

for years I just assumed that everyone worked for the money, and that managers and people who climbed high up the ladder just done it to make more money than those further down . but no there are definitely some for whom their job means everything to them and how they feel about themselves

46 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

In fairness to him, I watched this full interview and he said he thought there would be international travel corridors by the summer, and also made a specific point of saying that this was very easy for him to say when he didn't own an airline or a cottage in the South of France and his livelihood didn't depend on it. I thought the message from this interview was on the whole reasonably positive.

Can I shock you? I like Jason Leitch, despite what I posted earlier.

He said something about not expecting international travel for "a while", and then the presenters pressed him on it. I thought "oh, here we go", but he then started talking about that sort of stuff in three months and more wide loosening in the autumn (I can't remember the exact details but that was what I took from it).

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

'Kinell, man - don't go actually listening to what he's saying! He's a dentist, ffs. We all know what he's saying without having to listen to the size 188 shoe-wearing publicity whore.

34 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He said something about not expecting international travel for "a while", and then the presenters pressed him on it. I thought "oh, here we go", but he then started talking about that sort of stuff in three months and more wide loosening in the autumn (I can't remember the exact details but that was what I took from it).

I'd like to see the language change from extremely open-ended, difficult to quantify language like "for a while" and "for some time" to the less long term sounding "for a few more months" tbh.

Whilst that doesn't actually change anything, it is a softening of words that indicates a move in a positive direction, and gives the impression the end is moving closer.

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Those Germans sure know how to party.

You have to appreciate they've not had the opportunity to take 8 pills and f**k each other in a Berlin dungeon for over 12 months now while listening to songs called like "Dance to the Techno Beat". They'll be unsettled.