Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I was in a Burger King a few weeks back in my place.  They have priority lines here for Old Timers and Disabled (good idea) and have now added frontline workers (means hospital staff here)  to the category. A young female came in with her boyfriend (they weren't working as not in uniform) and they both went to the priority line to get served first.  It wasn't even that busy so they maybe saved 2 minutes.  I'd not have had the neck to do that.  

My pals sister is a paramedic, she told us she’d pulled up at a coop and stood in a queue, was in a no rush but because she was in uniform the staff were awkwardly trying to get her in the store ahead of the 3 other people.

I’d have been mortified.

1 minute ago, mizfit said:

My pals sister is a paramedic, she told us she’d pulled up at a coop and stood in a queue, was in a no rush but because she was in uniform the staff were awkwardly trying to get her in the store ahead of the 3 other people.

I’d have been mortified.

Probably saw the ambulance and the blue lights and thought she was too casual

I dunno, it's easy enough now in hindsight to slag off shop workers for claiming to be key workers and putting themselves in danger at the front line etc, but back at the start of all this, people (even the main players on here) were genuinely concerned, if not scared, and these people were going to work in public places and serving essential groceries, which going by the advice at the time was dodge af

I dunno, it's easy enough now in hindsight to slag off shop workers for claiming to be key workers and putting themselves in danger at the front line etc, but back at the start of all this, people (even the main players on here) were genuinely concerned, if not scared, and these people were going to work in public places and serving essential groceries, which going by the advice at the time was dodge af
Literally can only speak for myself here and won't presume to do so for others.

At no point during this have I ever been scared of Covid.

Unless you are a patient facing NHS worker, or one of very few other professions you were never "putting your life at risk" to any degree worth screeching about IMO.

The idea that anyone would be stupid enough to believe their life was at risk due to Covid from going to work and still did it (again, caregivers aside) is kind of insulting

6 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Yeah I agree with this tbh. Thought the dig at shop workers was a bit out of order, as they genuinely were one of the few groups of workers who genuinely were in one of the worst environments for spreading, and had no choice but to just continue on whilst the majority hid in their houses.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Unless you are a patient facing NHS worker, or one of very few other professions you were never "putting your life at risk" to any degree worth screeching about IMO.

The idea that anyone would be stupid enough to believe their life was at risk due to Covid from going to work and still did it (again, caregivers aside) is kind of insulting

I think you’re way off here, especially the bit in bold. I actually think you’re being a bit insulting and there’s a lot of revisionism going on here based on what we know now.

At the point of the first lockdown we knew very little on who it was impacting on and it was believed, by a large majority I would suggest, that there was a serious risk to potentially anyone. Plenty of workers had to continue to go to work and legitimately (due to the thinking and press coverage at the time) put their lives at risk. The bit in bold is actually verging on outrageous to me, essentially accusing anyone who was scared of Covid but not willing to chuck their job and livelihood down the drain as “stupid”.

I was classed as a Level 3 key worker which I thought was a bit like being an Iron Cross Third Class. Anyway I only used this distinction to get a discount on my car service last year.

I avoided queuing for shops by going when the shops were quieter and it never occurred to me I could skip queues.

30 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I’d have been mortified.

It's the rationale behind the prioritisation I didn't get - for frontline staff on duty fair enough they may need to get in and out ASAP but off-duty?  Some token of recognition for the work they were doing maybe but isn't that a can of worms?  If it was all "essential" staff I would be onboard with it but it wasn't. 

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I'm not sure the statistics back you up here. People going to work are far more at risk than those working at home based on death rates, no?

21 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Is this you outing yourself as a main player 😉 

10 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

On another note, may I ask you learned folks if it's factual that those who have had COVID only need one dose of the vaccine?

There is accumulating evidence that one dose of vaccine in previously infected individuals provides even greater protection than two doses in uninfected individuals, likely due to the more broad immune response provided my natural infection. I am sure there is at least one country who have decided one dose is enough in those previously infected - possibly France.

20 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I wouldn't say I was scared at the time but it was concerning. As an aside, 3 of our customers died as a result of Covid in quick succession, 2 publicans & a retailer whose shop was fairly close to Anfield. Both pubs were also rammed the night of that European game so the fear was very real amongst a lot of our staff at the time,it was not to be dismissed out of hand but the risk compared to NHS was absolutely minimal & in no way would I compare anyone working in Retail to them in terms of being a key worker.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Wouldnt jump a queue but was working 6 days a week for a bit last year and the local tesco offered some out of hours shopping for a few different groups, that was a bit of a lifesaver as our wee boys nursery was shut so could avoid having to take him to the shops when the lines were massive (would have been a disaster). 

I've said for years that shops should limit certain groups to only being able to come in at certain times.

The amount of lunchtimes I've wasted being stuck behind old Maude at the post office taking ages to pay in her 37p in coffers when I've only got 25 minutes to do everything I need to do, when these old c***s could go at any time of the fucking day and not clog up the queue at lunchtimes.

24 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I think you’re way off here, especially the bit in bold. I actually think you’re being a bit insulting and there’s a lot of revisionism going on here based on what we know now.

At the point of the first lockdown we knew very little on who it was impacting on and it was believed, by a large majority I would suggest, that there was a serious risk to potentially anyone. Plenty of workers had to continue to go to work and legitimately (due to the thinking and press coverage at the time) put their lives at risk. The bit in bold is actually verging on outrageous to me, essentially accusing anyone who was scared of Covid but not willing to chuck their job and livelihood down the drain as “stupid”.

Yeah you're actually right there tbh so il just have to hold my hands up to that one. Veered off from my own experiences there which is what I had started out with.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I was in a Burger King a few weeks back in my place.  They have priority lines here for Old Timers and Disabled (good idea) and have now added frontline workers (means hospital staff here)  to the category. A young female came in with her boyfriend (they weren't working as not in uniform) and they both went to the priority line to get served first.  It wasn't even that busy so they maybe saved 2 minutes.  I'd not have had the neck to do that.  

Folk have the neck for anything, some were phoning restaurants and takeaways demanding discounts and or free meals with threats of shaming because they were nurses etc. 

Plenty of arseholes at all levels. 

13 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I've said for years that shops should limit certain groups to only being able to come in at certain times.

The amount of lunchtimes I've wasted being stuck behind old Maude at the post office taking ages to pay in her 37p in coffers when I've only got 25 minutes to do everything I need to do, when these old c***s could go at any time of the fucking day and not clog up the queue at lunchtimes.

I think genuinely we need to do more to keep older folks active, all the wee lunch clubs shut down, no where for a widowed wee old dear to go for a chat, its natural they gravitate to being in shops every day etc. Guaranteed if we did more to keep them busy, engaged and active we wouldnt have half the problems of elderly folks rotting in hospitals for months and dementia ravaging our population. Granted some is unavoidable but a lot of science shows keeping folks minds active is important. Cutting public services, lunch clubs, funding to wee bowling clubs etc has absolutely caused this. 

2 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Folk have the neck for anything, some were phoning restaurants and takeaways demanding discounts and or free meals with threats of shaming because they were nurses etc. 

Plenty of arseholes at all levels. 

Yep.  I wasn't particularly having a go at the woman because she was in the medical profession, just because she was an arsehole.  IMO.