Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I think a lot of people look at rules and regulations as something to get round rather than something to follow strictly.  My wife and mother-in-law want to keep her seeing us and our son and we met up in an open park at the weekend, we kept apart and away from other people and each other but it was difficult.  She has suggested that she come round to ours but go straight into the garden and see our son there, keeping two metres away at all times - I'm not sure how manageable that will be.

I think eventually we are going to have to say that she just can't come and see us.  Her partner is over 70 and is also chafing at the rules.  Older people are stuck in their ways, they have routines and find it hard to change them and that's going to be one of the most challanging things about this situation.

This is it in a nutshell. Folk are viewing this as something to circumvent for their own preferences, then pointing to the most moronic of people and using that as justification for them doing something they perceive as being less harmful.

"I'm only playing golf, look at them piled onto a train" is analogous to "I'm only calling them feenyins, they're beasting weans which is much worse!"

Also enjoyed the thingly veiled racism and sneering at the Malaysian government as if it's some tinpot shithole. They're doing a much better job of containing this than any Western government. Boris Johnson was telling us on Friday he was going to visit his maw on mother's day so I'd take his advice with a pinch of salt.

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Utter nightmare. The pharmacy called me earlier to say that the eye gel was not only not in stock but not available to order.

Called the doctor (she gave me her number as was worried this might be the case) and she's managed to source some (in an ask no questions manner). I have to meet her at Ninewells to get it, which means a bus there and back sadly. Yikes!

I should note that the doctor has been absolutely brilliant, from taking the time yesterday to see me to sorting this for me. She's been so helpful, especially during this time which will no doubt be busy and stressful for her. The NHS is brilliant and we're so lucky to have it and folk like her. 

Just arrived at Ninewells. Will he sure to tell her.

That would have been the boys hanging about outside earlier and the "deal" that was going down.

12 minutes ago, GordonS said:

That's fine. It's absolutely your right and your choice. I'm going to continue to follow the official public health advice 100% in both letter and spirit.

The official advice went from "we're building herd immunity" to "stay way from everyone, don't visit pubs and isolate if you're high risk" in the space of two days. The official advice differs from other countries too, some other countries who appear to have a better handle on spread than us. Surely you can see why some people have a problem with the official advice, and why they think just staying indoors at all times is the better option than what you propose?

7 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

This is it in a nutshell. Folk are viewing this as something to circumvent for their own preferences, then pointing to the most moronic of people and using that as justification for them doing something they perceive as being less harmful.

"I'm only playing golf, look at them piled onto a train" is analogous to "I'm only calling them feenyins, they're beasting weans which is much worse!"

Also enjoyed the thingly veiled racism and sneering at the Malaysian government as if it's some tinpot shithole. They're doing a much better job of containing this than any Western government. Boris Johnson was telling us on Friday he was going to visit his maw on mother's day so I'd take his advice with a pinch of salt.

Does that help with Covid-19 symptoms?

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The official advice went from "we're building herd immunity" to "stay way from everyone, don't visit pubs and isolate if you're high risk" in the space of two days. The official advice differs from other countries too, some other countries who appear to have a better handle on spread than us. Surely you can see why some people have a problem with the official advice, and why they think just staying indoors at all times is the better option than what you propose?

exactly this. It is all about them for these people sadly, what can they get out of this situation and what can they get away with. The thought that possibly the best thing to do is to stay home doesn't matter, its what can i get off with. I am immensely fortunate in that currently I don't have mental health issues etc and imagine for people who do have these problems having to stay in is not ideal/awful.  I don't know if theres some system where people who have previously been diagnosed could get dispensation as then there is far less people out and about. But for the rest of society clearly the best behaviour is staying at home to help achieve the lowest spread possible. 

17 minutes ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

My wife works in a chemist and they are struggling to keep up with prescriptions. They had staff in until 10pm a couple of nights last week to catch up. 

They are now only open to the general public at certain times - so that they can keep on top of prescriptions daily.

Today they have a bouncer working on the door.

Yeah I've just been to the chemist. Ours is only open 1-5 and every single assistant I've ever seen was working. Serving from the door. Big queue for opening, everyone respecting distance. 

I had my mask on which makes me feel like a total bell end and I realise its not very effective, but people were staying the f**k away from me so that suits me fine. 

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Some people just can't grasp that when it comes to anything scientific, evidence consistently changes and that solving the problems is best done by moving with the evolving evidence, not saying "well, they once thought that headaches were best cured by drilling a hole in your head to let the demons out, so what would medics know" (an extreme example, but you get the idea).

I suppose this is why we still have so many hardcore bible bashers in 21st Century society.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Just now, Brother Blades said:

I preferred this when everyone was having a laugh & a joke about it, even had a league table going.
This is all gotten very real, very quickly. Stay safe folks & ffs observe the guidelines.

Yeah, since it's started killing a lot of white people and not just yellow people the league tables and japes stopped. Funny that.

Just now, Hedgecutter said:

Some people just can't grasp that when it comes to anything scientific, evidence consistently changes and that solving the problems is best done by moving with the evolving evidence, not saying "well, they once thought that headaches were best cured by drilling a hole in your head to let the demons out, so what would they know".

I suppose is why we still have so many hardcore bible bashers in our society.

I agree with that principle, where it falls down in regards to this is that "building herd immunity" wasn't ever a viable option. It was put out there as a staller from a government desperate to protect the economy. It wasn't based on science, it was just dressed up as science. It hit various countries before it got here, we watched them struggle like f**k to contain the spread, then when it got here Boris said "we'll just let it spread for a wee bit, keep shaking hands" and two days later completed a total U-turn on that advice.

6 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

I preferred this when everyone was having a laugh & a joke about it, even had a league table going.
This is all gotten very real, very quickly. Stay safe folks & ffs observe the guidelines.

I've a feeling we've got a great chance of going on a long unbeaten run and rocketing right up that table, although knowing our luck we'll be stuck in the same bloody group as Spain & Italy again which could seriously impact our chance of silverware.