Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I agree with that principle, where it falls down in regards to this is that "building herd immunity" wasn't ever a viable option. It was put out there as a staller from a government desperate to protect the economy. It wasn't based on science, it was just dressed up as science. It hit various countries before it got here, we watched them struggle like f**k to contain the spread, then when it got here Boris said "we'll just let it spread for a wee bit, keep shaking hands" and two days later completed a total U-turn on that advice.

Fair enough, although I'm far from convinced that your Average Joe thinks as far as the economic drivers behind such decisions.

31 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The official advice went from "we're building herd immunity" to "stay way from everyone, don't visit pubs and isolate if you're high risk" in the space of two days. The official advice differs from other countries too, some other countries who appear to have a better handle on spread than us. Surely you can see why some people have a problem with the official advice, and why they think just staying indoors at all times is the better option than what you propose?

I'm in for 12 weeks, wasn't happy with how people are interpreting advice, told my granddaughter I wasn't giving her a cuddle when she left, not to avoid infection, if I pop my clogs I don't want a kid blaming themselves. 

14 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I agree with that principle, where it falls down in regards to this is that "building herd immunity" wasn't ever a viable option. It was put out there as a staller from a government desperate to protect the economy. It wasn't based on science, it was just dressed up as science. It hit various countries before it got here, we watched them struggle like f**k to contain the spread, then when it got here Boris said "we'll just let it spread for a wee bit, keep shaking hands" and two days later completed a total U-turn on that advice.

We don't even know if you become immune or incapable of infecting others if you recover from it yet.

Just now, Hedgecutter said:

Fair enough, although I'm far from convinced that your Average Joe thinks as far as the economic drivers behind such decisions.

No, they won't think about that. But if you tell them they can have a pint at the pub one day then the tell them they can't the next day, they'll probably think "f**k you, it was fine for me to have a pint yesterday, I'm having one today".

Went out for a social distancing compliant walk with Mrs Romeo.

Amazed at the amount of folk not changing anything they do and basically not giving a f**k. Old codgers out for a paper, barbers and nail salon fairly busy.

1 minute ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

So what I'm getting from the last couple of pages is that Scots are more committed golfers than Malaysians are ?

Scotland is the only place I've come across where you have a decent number of working class guys hitting a ball around a council-run course.  Everywhere else seems to view it as an elitist only pastime.  I suppose the opposite also applies to football whereby in England it's sneered at by the upper classes, whereby it spans the classes up here.

Tangent over.  

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:

My cousin has posted on Facebook that there is a huge traffic jam at the McDonald's in Kirkintilloch, as folk are determined to get a final Happy Meal before they shut.

Anyone on here work at the McDonalds in Kirky that could possibly slip some cyanide into the Happy Meals?

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:

My cousin has posted on Facebook that there is a huge traffic jam at the McDonald's in Kirkintilloch, as folk are determined to get a final Happy Meal before they shut.

Aye. Was past the one in Alloa a couple of hours ago and it was queued out onto the road.

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Gives them a day to find instructions for their cookers,. 

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

We don't even know if you become immune or incapable of infecting others if you recover from it yet.

I was thinking about this today. There was also talk of a test that can tell if you've had it, but that kind of news seems to have been drowned in the sea of pictures of selfish c***s and increasingly stern measures. Has there been any more about that that I've missed? 

10 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

You're even avoiding gates and stiles which is no easy task, I think the odds of you spreading it or catching it would be vanishingly small.

For me it's just easier to consider all of that off limits for the moment. I had an (essential) delivery today and the number of steps I had to take to get the contents of a cardboard box into my house gave me a headache so thinking of all the angles for a trip to the hills would do the same.

I'm sure I read somewhere that it couldn't survive on cardboard ??

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Anyway, time for todays unconfirmed coronavirus health update. Lower back and legs still quite achy. Cough there but not bad. Head still feels wooshy and occasionally off balance even when sitting down. Moving eyes from side to side hurts, especially when my head is turned. Trying not to do too much of that tbh. Still feel sensitive to temperature and am generally quite clammy.

Wary of any perceived improvements since yesterday started off with small improvements.....

Can I have your widescreen TV while you're not using it?

Glad you're starting to feel better.

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I was thinking about this today. There was also talk of a test that can tell if you've had it, but that kind of news seems to have been drowned in the sea of pictures of selfish c***s and increasingly stern measures. Has there been any more about that that I've missed? 

The antibody test. Not far away from being rolled out I believe. Latest news articles seem to be that the government are in discussions with Amazon about distributing it.