Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Yup, the fact that any third wave will highly likely be no worse than a typically bad influenza season is not justification for ongoing restrictions on our liberty post vaccine rollout.

Without wanting to sound cold, isn't it also likely that, with vaccines, the Venn diagram of "people likely to die from COVID" and "people likely to die from flu" is basically a circle?And as such, the vast majority of those 15k-20k deaths will "replace" flu deaths rather than be in addition to?

If we then put aside the ethical and moral debate around "accepting" a 5-figure flu-related death toll every year, the fact we do accept it must surely mean we can also accept a more general "5-figure respiratory virus-related death toll" on the same terms (i.e. public information campaigns around cleanliness and vaccine uptake, but not face masks, social distancing, and talk of waves and lockdowns)?

Edited by The Master

4 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Probably become air BnB instead. 

On the bottom feeder scale Air BnB owners in cities are even below normal landlords for me. 

They are but they've been hammered as well, which is even more satisfying. 

1 minute ago, The Master said:

Without wanting to sound cold, isn't it also likely that, with vaccines, the Venn diagram of "people likely to die from COVID" and "people likely to die from flu" is basically a circle?And as such, the vast majority of those 15k-20k deaths will "replace" flu deaths?

If we then put aside the ethical and moral debate around "accepting" a 5-figure flu-related death toll every year, the fact we do accept it must surely mean we can also accept a more general "5-figure respiratory virus-related death toll" on the same terms (i.e. public information campaigns around cleanliness and vaccine uptake, but not wholesale shutting down of the country)?

I don't think it's cold as such - it's a conversation, uncomfortable as it may be, that needs to be had. There seems to be a significant number of people in this country who believe that human beings should not be dying by means that they weren't dying previously.

I dunno, maybe its the fear of one's own mortality that drives this 'f**k off, shut up, one death is one too many' type narrative but it really doesn't help the situation.

31 minutes ago, Left Back said:

When you have someone on ignore is there a way to stop seeing when people quote them as well?

Unfortunately not mate. I've stuck some of the worst posters on the site (the 8MileBUs and the Granny Dangers of this world) on Ignore but still see their posts if someone quotes them.

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Unfortunately not mate. I've stuck some of the worst posters on the site (the 8MileBUs and the Granny Dangers of this world) on Ignore but still see their posts if someone quotes them.

Nonetheless, has putting them on ignore improved your forum experience?

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Yes but the non-useless masks need to be N95 standard , sealed and with a filtration system.

There's no way you'd ever have people wearing those in public. Not even with Ebola doing the rounds.

So to bring up the example of doctors and nurses as proof masks work isn't really appropriate.

Let it go, lad. The masks (and indeed face coverings) which we are being asked to wear are worn to protect the environment from the wearer, not the other way round. In the early days of the pandemic, you absolutely would have seen people out and about with N95, FFP2 and FFP3 masks, as these were the kind of masks (actually respirators) which they could get hold of, and they thought were "better" than FRSMs. They're neither better nor worse, as they are designed for a completely different purpose. 

As you're obviously still struggling, this might help - ask yourself, when you see a surgical team in theatre, fully masked and gowned, who are they protecting by dressing thus?

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I don't think it's cold as such - it's a conversation, uncomfortable as it may be, that needs to be had. There seems to be a significant number of people in this country who believe that human beings should not be dying by means that they weren't dying previously.

I dunno, maybe its the fear of one's own mortality that drives this 'f**k off, shut up, one death is one too many' type narrative but it really doesn't help the situation.

I mentioned already a couple of times getting into it with a couple of gammons on another forum I use. I had to bow out though, as one of them, who was able to articulate some stuff pretty well so I presume, not a complete moron, was ranting on about how we should exclude the unvaccinated from society, and this is to keep the vaccinated safe. There's literally f**k all you can in the face of such logic except walk away. The thread also included, for completeness, a "FFS they are still going to open the pubs... Locked down again in 3 weeks!!!!!" 

The confusion about what people have a right to expect throughout this, wilful or otherwise, is going to result in years of handwringing pish from a large section of society as they wait to see which respiratory virus has taken the life of an elderly relative then go fucking ballistic if it turns out to be covid 19 rather than anything else that would have did the same job. This "I HAVE A RIGHT TO BE KEPT SAFE!!!" needs to be weeded out, but it won't be for purely political reasons. It's going to come down to folk causing scenes in public and being told to f**k off back to their house. 

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I was just thinking to myself how nice it was for once to have page after page where most people were discussing things pretty respectfully as adults and then you wade in with your chimp suit on.

Go and talk to someone else bud. I'm not interested in engaging with you on this or any other issue.

When you're spouting inaccurate, and possibly dangerous, nonsense, you need calling out on it. Your laughable, found it on Google, reference to N95 respirators, is a clear sign you're almost entirely ignorant on this matter. If that's what you're wearing, grudgingly, then you're as much of a risk to others as if you were wearing nothing. 

7 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Let it go, lad. The masks (and indeed face coverings) which we are being asked to wear are worn to protect the environment from the wearer, not the other way round. In the early days of the pandemic, you absolutely would have seen people out and about with N95, FFP2 and FFP3 masks, as these were the kind of masks (actually respirators) which they could get hold of, and they thought were "better" than FRSMs. They're neither better nor worse, as they are designed for a completely different purpose. 

As you're obviously still struggling, this might help - ask yourself, when you see a surgical team in theatre, fully masked and gowned, who are they protecting by dressing thus?

And how many of the (very low) number of members of the public wearing N95, FFP2, FFP3 masks had been accurately face fitted for those masks? And were then disposing of them at appropriate intervals and being re-facefitted for the next ones they put on?

The answer is effectively zero btw, making their use, and your hilariously arrogant mewling post above, utterly redundant.

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I mentioned already a couple of times getting into it with a couple of gammons on another forum I use. I had to bow out though, as one of them, who was able to articulate some stuff pretty well so I presume, not a complete moron, was ranting on about how we should exclude the unvaccinated from society, and this is to keep the vaccinated safe. There's literally f**k all you can in the face of such logic except walk away. The thread also included, for completeness, a "FFS they are still going to open the pubs... Locked down again in 3 weeks!!!!!" 

The confusion about what people have a right to expect throughout this, wilful or otherwise, is going to result in years of handwringing pish from a large section of society as they wait to see which respiratory virus has taken the life of an elderly relative then go fucking ballistic if it turns out to be covid 19 rather than anything else that would have did the same job. This "I HAVE A RIGHT TO BE KEPT SAFE!!!" needs to be weeded out, but it won't be for purely political reasons. It's going to come down to folk causing scenes in public and being told to f**k off back to their house. 

Have there been any recent estimates on the percentage of the population that would need to be vaccinated to make this irrelevant?

Vaccine efficacy seems to be reported as different numbers depending on what agenda is being followed.

2 hours ago, Left Back said:

If I'm reading that right Imperial are predicting another 15k deaths and Warwick another 19k?

In the UK? Why the hell would it be anywhere near that rate when the elderly/vulnerable will have been vaccinated. They're beginning to make people doubt the whole effectiveness of the vaccination programme with shit like this 

35 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

1. And how many of the (very low) number of members of the public wearing N95, FFP2, FFP3 masks had been accurately face fitted for those masks? And were then disposing of them at appropriate intervals and being re-facefitted for the next ones they put on?

2.The answer is effectively zero btw, making their use, and your hilariously arrogant mewling post above, utterly redundant.

1. Absolutely no idea. People were wearing them, and I had several explain to me that they were "better" than surgical masks. Completely wrong, but hey, what do I know?*

2. Please don't be so insulting - there is a difference between being arrogant and being right. Anyone wearing a N95 or FFP respirator is protecting the environment no more than spomeone wearing a FRSM. If that respirator has a valve in it, they might as well not be wearing anything at all. But hey, what do I know?**

*I  know the different purpose and uses of various forms of PPE, as I am a HS&F professional. 

** Seriously, it's what I do for a fucking living. The bollox spouted by Oaksoft shows him to be ill-informed, and if taken as advice by others, could put people at risk. 

ETA: My analogy of the surgical team was simply to reinforce the fact that we are asked to wear FRSMs to protect others, not ourselves. I can understan d why Oakspoft strugles with altruism in any form, but it's really not that complicated. 

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie