Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

It's my opinion weirdo, and now the red dots.

If you want to exist in a strange echo chamber looking for confirmation bias then this thread certainly is it.  You can't handle anything else.

Bold to claim someone "can't handle" something as you cry about Coloured Circles on The Pie and Bovril Forum.

Edited by Marshmallo

Just now, Burnieman said:

You're calling people shitebags and complaning about heads gone 😂

Only because you’re being a shitebag with the handwringing ‘oh we should be so grateful for them letting 10,000 people into Hampden’ and ‘its clear we can’t have crowds in stadia just now’ nonsense. Right come on, show me the evidence for having stadiums empty?

The overwhelming evidence is that the risk of outdoor transmission is minimal. We also have vaccines (working, have a cigar), treatments for covid and you know what, we should also have the right to take our own risks. 

13 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Because as we have learned over the last 12 months, no Govt is going to throw caution to the wind to that extent.  Yes we'd all love 50k at Hampden at the Euros but we all knew that was never going to happen.  We also would love to freeze our arses off with another 250 souls at Cliftonhill, but we can't even freeze our arses off drinking outside a pub yet. 

I'm not saying it's right, maybe it was reasonable to think that come June we could get 20-25k into Hampden and maybe letting 100 in at Cliftonhill tonight would have been a reasonable relaxation, but I feel some people's expectations are just a front to have a go at the SG's handling of the pandemic, and nothing to do with what they really expected to happen.

Except that's demonstrably untrue.

The picture below was taken just last week.

I don't expect this to have a significant impact on transmission, hospitalisations and deaths, therefore I certainly wouldn't expect a similar scenario in a near 100% vaccinated country to have one either.

"Data not dates" is all very well, but it should work both ways.

What I expect to happen (and what we should all expect to happen), is that the Government remove the emergency powers they put in place in the absence of an emergency, and step back from arbitrary restrictions (which, let's be honest, 25% is) on what people can and can't do. Especially outside.

You should be more frustrated at what we cannot do, rather than falling over yourself to justify the bones we are being thrown.

image-1.jpg

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

and you know what, we should also have the right to take our own risks. 

This point has IMO become something of a political football now, with non evidence based hand wringing on social media driving the govt's reluctance to even discuss it

24 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Because as we have learned over the last 12 months, no Govt is going to throw caution to the wind to that extent.  Yes we'd all love 50k at Hampden at the Euros but we all knew that was never going to happen.  We also would love to freeze our arses off with another 250 souls at Cliftonhill, but we can't even freeze our arses off drinking outside a pub yet. 

I'm not saying it's right, maybe it was reasonable to think that come June we could get 20-25k into Hampden and maybe letting 100 in at Cliftonhill tonight would have been a reasonable relaxation, but I feel some people's expectations are just a front to have a go at the SG's handling of the pandemic, and nothing to do with what they really expected to happen.

Usually consider myself fairly calm and rational, but fair play you worked me into quite the fucking seethe here. :lol:

11 minutes ago, Rugster said:

A lot of people come out with the argument that the government,  be it uk or ScoGov, want to keep restrictions in place for as long as possible. Can anyone, other than tin foil hat detournement, actually give a plausible reason as to why they’d actually want to do this? 

Tbf, i'm caught in the middle on this. Keeping restrictions in place for as long as possible is a bit of a blanket statement that I cant wholly endorse.

However, I feel the football and no alcohol served in restaurants/indoors is sanctimonious bullshit and these two in particular certainly represent a restriction being in place longer than neccessary for me (If you project that the dates for resumption of these things remain as is). So then (if you accept that, you might not)you've to get into your own interpretation of why

Just now, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Only because you’re being a shitebag with the handwringing ‘oh we should be so grateful for them letting 10,000 people into Hampden’ and ‘its clear we can’t have crowds in stadia just now’ nonsense. Right come on, show me the evidence for having stadiums empty?

The overwhelming evidence is that the risk of outdoor transmission is minimal. We also have vaccines (working, have a cigar), treatments for covid and you know what, we should also have the right to take our own risks. 

You've clearly not bothered to digest what I wrote, and quit with the shitebag nonsense.   Let's put it another way, did you seriously expect the SG (or any Govt) to go from closed door matches (two games at Hampden last month empty), to committing now to a full house for the Euros in 10 weeks time? UEFA themselves had capped crowds at 30% of capacity and only removed that a couple of weeks ago when it became clear one or two venues were prepared to try for more than that. Even our glass half full chum in Westminster wasn't that daft, he's leaving it to 3 weeks later before allowing a few more into Wembley.

It would have been great to get in more than 25% capacity, but it was never a realistic prospect.

6 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Usually consider myself fairly calm and rational, but fair play you worked me into quite the fucking seethe here. :lol:

This place swings from seethe to cigars and back to seethe again in a blink of an eye, it's quite remarkable 😆

8 minutes ago, Rugster said:

A lot of people come out with the argument that the government,  be it uk or ScoGov, want to keep restrictions in place for as long as possible. Can anyone, other than tin foil hat detournement, actually give a plausible reason as to why they’d actually want to do this? 

My primary concern is that they act out of unnecessary fear, on the say so of some experts who advocate on-going measures which have a disproportionate impact on people's lives in relation to the actual risk from the virus.

More generally, politicians have a massive amount of control over the lives of everyone of us which is now written into law. I don't trust the current UK Government to just give up that level of control easily or willingly - and it's hugely concerning at how few concerns have been raised about this by the population in general.

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-40ac92b1-1750-4e86-9936-2cda6b0acb3f

See things like this - why do these people never say at what point this ends? What needs to happen for it to stop and we go back to living normal, non Covid obsessed lives with no intrusion on our daily operations, in the eyes of these myopic worldviews?

Articles like that are infuriating. Patronising pish.

The problem is that no single measure to prevent the spread of coronavirus is 100% effective, and that includes vaccines.

Why are they starting from a point of what would be 100% effective? 100% effective at what? Eliminating the virus completely? That is not a serious article about how the pandemic ends.

8 hours ago, Burnieman said:

You've clearly not bothered to digest what I wrote, and quit with the shitebag nonsense.   Let's put it another way, did you seriously expect the SG (or any Govt) to go from closed door matches (two games at Hampden last month empty), to committing now to a full house for the Euros in 10 weeks time? UEFA themselves had capped crowds at 30% of capacity and only removed that a couple of weeks ago when it became clear one or two venues were prepared to try for more than that. Even our glass half full chum in Westminster wasn't that daft, he's leaving it to 3 weeks later before allowing a few more into Wembley.

It would have been great to get in more than 25% capacity, but it was never a realistic prospect.

Yes, let's.

There are just 133 people in Scotland in Hospital who have tested positive for Covid-19 in the last 28 days. We have vaccinated 59.1% of our adult population, including almost all of the top 9 JCVI groups. Why can't Albion Rovers fans go to Cliftonhill tonight?

You aren't necessarily wrong to suggest that going from 0-100% overnight is unrealistic, but you should be questioning why we are still at zero now, never mind in one or two month's time.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Articles like that are infuriating. Patronising pish.

The problem is that no single measure to prevent the spread of coronavirus is 100% effective, and that includes vaccines.

Why are they starting from a point of what would be 100% effective? 100% effective at what? Eliminating the virus completely? That is not a serious article about how the pandemic ends.

The fact that they are equating continued restrictions on peoples' lives, jobs and businesses to slices of cheese is, frankly, laughable. 

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Yes, let's.

There are just 133 people in Scotland in Hospital who have tested positive for Covid-19 in the last 28 days. We have vaccinated 59.1% of our adult population, including almost all of the top 9 JCVI groups. Why can't Albion Rovers fans not go to Cliftonhill tonight?

You aren't necessarily wrong to suggest that going from 0-100% overnight is unrealistic, but you should be questioning why we are still at zero now, never mind in one or two month's time.

I answered that a few posts ago, I don't see why the handful of remaining games cannot be used by clubs to get some fans back in and prepare procedures (which will no doubt be required) ahead of next season, there's very little risk.

However, we can't even sit outside a pub and have a beer at the moment, so it's no surprise that they'll let closed doors run until the end of the season.

Edited by Burnieman

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

This point has IMO become something of a political football now, with non evidence based hand wringing on social media driving the govt's reluctance to even discuss it

Its going to reach a tipping point soon that people will not allow this to continue for months and months further. 
Yes to a section of society this virus is dangerous, absolutely, no one is denying it, that is why we’ve basically shut the shop and cancelled everything thats happened for a long period of time, but we’ve also invested in fantastic vaccines, i mean the lads at pfizer, az and moderna etc should be tripping over nobel prizes, great bunch of lads. We’ve developed very effective treatments and we can map the genome of the virus and mutations very very quickly. Even then vaccines work. 
Its absolute helen lovejoy/howard hughesism nonsense that we see from people on this now. How can people argue that its dangerous to be outside standing on a terracing or whatever when the actual scienfuckingtific evidence says you’re actually more likely to get hit by fucking lightening than die from covid that you caught outside at a football game. Every single thing you do, comes with a risk, people the risk of driving a car, shagging a married woman whilst her man’s at work, eating food from a shite burger van or taking the plunge on an allocate on arrival holiday. The most vulnerable have that pfizery goodness flowing through their veins, let them out to play, lets get Isa back to the bingo before she dies of copd, lets get bill back in the pub with his pals before the lack of stimulation makes his dementia worse etc. 
Some people are happy staying locked down making their own sunshine and ripping the heid off it at the first outbreak of people having the audacity to visit their granny or whatever. Guess what? No one is making those c***s leave the house, i’ll even go to the shop for them if they need milk and a gallon of hand sanitiser. Absolutely done with this shite. Get the vaccinated world opened up and help all the other c***s get vaccinated too.