Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Rugby-related but I had an interesting chat with one of my club committee members tonight. There was a meeting among the Premiership clubs last night to agree on a structure for this season, and any contingency plans with it.

Apparently there will be no club fixtures played in December or January at the request of the Scottish government, in the event of a winter lockdown. Now I would add at this point that I'm not sure if this is a "just in case" scenario thats easier to plan, or of the SG are already assuming/planning a lockdown again next winter.

Now, in an attempt to avoid any heid's gones, I'm not sure who represented the SG to the SRU either and whether or not they are a decision maker, or just another bureaucrat drunk on emergency powers.

19 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

I find it bizarre that people think the SG would go from zero to full houses. Albion Rovers v Cowdenbeath tonight was closed door, and no we shouldn't already be seeing considerable amounts of fans at football at the moment either.

Why not?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-40ac92b1-1750-4e86-9936-2cda6b0acb3f

See things like this - why do these people never say at what point this ends? What needs to happen for it to stop and we go back to living normal, non Covid obsessed lives with no intrusion on our daily operations, in the eyes of these myopic worldviews?

Those will be removed long before July if everything keeps going like it is. She basically said as much today, This is groundhog day.

Reminds me of Sturgeons prediction in June 2020 that Scotland ‘wasn’t far away’ from eliminating COVID.

8 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Rugby-related but I had an interesting chat with one of my club committee members tonight. There was a meeting among the Premiership clubs last night to agree on a structure for this season, and any contingency plans with it.

Apparently there will be no club fixtures played in December or January at the request of the Scottish government, in the event of a winter lockdown. Now I would add at this point that I'm not sure if this is a "just in case" scenario thats easier to plan, or of the SG are already assuming/planning a lockdown again next winter.

Now, in an attempt to avoid any heid's gones, I'm not sure who represented the SG to the SRU either and whether or not they are a decision maker, or just another bureaucrat drunk on emergency powers.

Interesting. Clubs normally have 2-3 weeks off in the festive period anyway - my local club was off 21/12, 28/12, 4/1 and the games on 14/12 and 11/1 had waterlogged pitches as well. 

Usually there's no games on the day of the 6 Nations games, if there's not full houses for those maybe more chance they'll use these matchdays for club games.

2 minutes ago, Elixir said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-40ac92b1-1750-4e86-9936-2cda6b0acb3f

See things like this - why do these people never say at what point this ends? What needs to happen for it to stop and we go back to living normal, non Covid obsessed lives with no intrusion on our daily operations, in the eyes of these myopic worldviews?

The only thing that will stop it is mass civil disobedience. Europe will hopefully set an example for us. 

29 minutes ago, Burnieman said:
34 minutes ago, stuart87 said:

With the most vulnerable now vaccinated, there should be fans in stadiums now building up to full stadiums in the very near future.

It would be good to see SPFL clubs allowed to bring in limited test crowds to prepare for next season, but we both know that isn't happening.

It isnt happening because the snp are a bunch of shitebags. Anyone who disagrees is a shitebag. 

Just now, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

It isnt happening because the snp are a bunch of shitebags. Anyone who disagrees is a shitebag. 

Shitebagception

19 minutes ago, Ginaro said:
Interesting. Clubs normally have 2-3 weeks off in the festive period anyway - my local club was off 21/12, 28/12, 4/1 and the games on 14/12 and 11/1 had waterlogged pitches as well. 
Usually there's no games on the day of the 6 Nations games, if there's not full houses for those maybe more chance they'll use these matchdays for club games.

Yeah, December/January traditionally are where we see the most call offs. I was asked to go to a forum a couple years ago to discuss how the season was structured and most players favoured a mid winter break, or moving the season into spring/summer as the mid winter games are usually awful and poorly attended anyway.

It's the fact the SG have apparently asked for this that has me concerned. That, and the fact that all of a sudden vaccines aren't going to help and that we need all the other bullshit indefinitely.

Edited by super_carson

52 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

I find it bizarre that people think the SG would go from zero to full houses. Albion Rovers v Cowdenbeath tonight was closed door, and no we shouldn't already be seeing considerable amounts of fans at football at the moment either.

Why not? When you could conceivably have 500+ folk in Drumpellier Country Park, could you not have the regular 200 folk outside at Cliftonhill?

The rationale given today that vaccines alone are not the driving force in case numbers is clearly a ploy to try and justify the reasons for restrictions going on as long as they have. 

However, its so massively counter-intuitive to come away with what they have when they have, that they've almost certainly undermined the rollout further. 

Every single bit of evidence in the figures of case numbers but especially hospital cases, ICU numbers and deaths suggest that this is patently not true given that serious cases are not at all rising or even really plateuing 2-3 weeks later as their previous correlation with overall case numbers was showing. 

22 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Accepting shitebag policies because youre either a craven follower of shitebaggery or an actual shitebag. Its time to just call it what it is, shitebaggery. 

Head Gone thread for this.

3 minutes ago, Hauzen said:

Why not? When you could conceivably have 500+ folk in Drumpellier Country Park, could you not have the regular 200 folk outside at Cliftonhill?

Because as we have learned over the last 12 months, no Govt is going to throw caution to the wind to that extent.  Yes we'd all love 50k at Hampden at the Euros but we all knew that was never going to happen.  We also would love to freeze our arses off with another 250 souls at Cliftonhill, but we can't even freeze our arses off drinking outside a pub yet. 

I'm not saying it's right, maybe it was reasonable to think that come June we could get 20-25k into Hampden and maybe letting 100 in at Cliftonhill tonight would have been a reasonable relaxation, but I feel some people's expectations are just a front to have a go at the SG's handling of the pandemic, and nothing to do with what they really expected to happen.

5 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

some people's expectations are just a front to have a go at the SG's handling of the pandemic, and nothing to do with what they really expected to happen.

Oh dear. Tied in knots and now building weird straw men and attaching them to indeterminate "some people".

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

Oh dear. Tied in knots and now building weird straw men and attaching them to indeterminate "some people".

It's my opinion weirdo, and now the red dots.

If you want to exist in a strange echo chamber looking for confirmation bias then this thread certainly is it.  You can't handle anything else.

A lot of people come out with the argument that the government,  be it uk or ScoGov, want to keep restrictions in place for as long as possible. Can anyone, other than tin foil hat detournement, actually give a plausible reason as to why they’d actually want to do this?