Coronavirus (COVID-19)

47 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

They're taking long enough to get around everyone with the vaccines. If boosters are needed for everyone then its going to be a never ending slog. Unless boosters are only for the elderly/vulnerable or they'll do longer hours of vaccinations 

Came from a low-level staff member so take with a pinch of salt, but one of the staff at the vaccine centre I attended on Saturday said that her contract to be seconded to the vaccine roll out ran until December 31st, which could give some sort of insight into how long a "booster" roll out might take.

Like you say, though, If it is going to take 2-3 months to roll out boosters to the most vulnerable (i.e. JCVI groups 1-9) and they are rolling out boosters within 6 months of the initial doses, it really does seem like a never ending slog.

The whole "booster" chat originated from variant fear - the premise being that the boosters would be tweaked to protect against the variants that the original vaccine did not. Now we know the vaccine does protect against "teH vArIaNtZ" it is now being pushed as a "we just don't know how long the protection lasts."

Now, granted, we don't, but I'd be surprised if it was as little as 6 months. I can understand boosters being rolled out for the flu season in 2022 to those who get the flu jab, but keeping the infrastructure (and no doubt some sort of restrictions) in place to roll them out for flu season in 2021 seems like overkill, and another desperate reach from our "experts" to reduce the possibility that their predictions of a "third wave" are proven to be so drastically wrong.

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Came from a low-level staff member so take with a pinch of salt, but one of the staff at the vaccine centre I attended on Saturday said that her contract to be seconded to the vaccine roll out ran until December 31st, which could give some sort of insight into how long a "booster" roll out might take.

Like you say, though, If it is going to take 2-3 months to roll out boosters to the most vulnerable (i.e. JCVI groups 1-9) and they are rolling out boosters within 6 months of the initial doses, it really does seem like a never ending slog.

The whole "booster" chat originated from variant fear - the premise being that the boosters would be tweaked to protect against the variants that the original vaccine did not. Now we know the vaccine does protect against "teH vArIaNtZ" it is now being pushed as a "we just don't know how long the protection lasts."

Now, granted, we don't, but I'd be surprised if it was as little as 6 months. I can understand boosters being rolled out for the flu season in 2022 to those who get the flu jab, but keeping the infrastructure (and no doubt some sort of restrictions) in place to roll them out for flu season in 2021 seems like overkill, and another desperate reach from our "experts" to reduce the possibility that their predictions of a "third wave" are proven to be so drastically wrong.

Theres a few things to consider there, essentially we dont have data on the longevity of the vaccines, so given that its relatively good practice to be planning to give more to the most vulnerable. So planning to have staff available until the end of the year is relatively decent planning for contingencies etc. 

Was there not record levels of influenza vaccine uptake this past autumn/winter? The same again going on in the background for any booster jags for vulnerable groups should therefore be an utter irrelevance in terms of restricting civil liberties.

32 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

https://news.stv.tv/scotland/night-time-economic-nightmare-as-clubs-face-collapse?top

Talking of legal action against the SG if they can’t tell them when they can open up. 

The aviation, travel, and tourism industries, and by extension much of the hospitality industry, won't be far behind them. Honestly, it seemed like the Scottish Government played a blinder in terms of being able to appear more competent throughout the pandemic, even though that wasn't actually the case at all, hence the record levels of support for independence not so long ago. Now though, it seems like they are hellbent on absolutely fucking the recovery due to their nauseating 'look how much we continue to care' nonsense, along with pandering to a select handful of advisers and the apparent disregard that the vaccination programme should mean a swift return to normal life... hence support for independence now seemingly swinging back below that of support for the union. That is all down to economic fears - and that will only continue to go one way unless they cut the fucking shit mewling and get businesses and the economy fully up and running.

11 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Was there not record levels of influenza vaccine uptake this past autumn/winter? The same again going on in the background for any booster jags for vulnerable groups should therefore be an utter irrelevance in terms of restricting civil liberties.

Flu vaccine in over 65s in England was highest on record.

Flu Jab England over 65s

Uptake in Scotland also higher than in previous seasons.

Flu Jab uptake Scotland.

47 minutes ago, G51 said:

Moderna are working on a combined COVID & flu jab for the winter. One needle for protection against all of your respiratory diseases!

I don't know why they don't just invent a combo-jab that protects you against everything.

I see South Korea will be binning quarantine requirements for vaccinated residents:

No doubt one of the reasons why Sridhar is pivoting her position again, to try and save face when the political and economic reality becomes apparent:

Now over to the Scottish Government to get the borders open this summer, and to keep them open...

If the SG bring the date for reopening forward I'll vote for them if not they can go f**k themselves. Seems fair considering that's what they promised with their data not dates claim.

Just now, Bairnardo said:
1 minute ago, 101 said:
Tried to go to the pub last night but because it was cold they shut at half 8, I was raging.

The pub going with data not times there

How am I expected to have an impromptu pint. Arseholes.

8 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

All our seconded staff in test & protect team are being "brought home" in October.

Make of that what you will 

gettyimages-200321956-001-1024x1024.jpg

Yeah, my partner is currently seconded to T&P and she's back to her normal job full time at the end of May, and she's the last one they've kept on from her department. A few months ago she was doing 12 hour shifts on the phone for the whole day, now she's making about 4 calls on a busy day and watching a lot of Real Housewives.

12 minutes ago, 101 said:

How am I expected to have an impromptu pint. Arseholes.

Well the odds are stacked against you and the rest of us on that front, due to an attitude of outright snobbery towards those who enjoy such things, IMO. Despite the #data

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Well the odds are stacked against you and the rest of us on that front, due to an attitude of outright snobbery towards those who enjoy such things, IMO. Despite the #data

Perhaps but there is no accounting for businesses deciding to shut early, I would out in Edinburgh the night before and that was ruined by Scotrail.

Roll on normality after the election and the new government coming in.