Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Looks that way wherever I've been. The mood of people, to my eye at least, seems to be a return to "normal" due to lockdown fatigue. People have had enough now and restrictions are no longer effective as they can't and won't be adhered to indefinitely. The restrictions initially were mostly well respected, but now other than a lot of businesses being closed or restricted, life has been reset mainly as people in general have migrated back to their lives regardless.
Other than having folk in your house there is f**k all way for anyone to migrate back to their old ways as it stands. Life is still extremely restricted and there is very little joe public can do to reset that themselves. From millions on furlough to home working right through to queuing to get into shops (massive 2m spaces queues in Irvine this week) and then masks being enforced inside said shops. Pubs that can open not opening with signs saying "TOO BLOODY COLD" can't go to watch sport and you need to make an appointment to go anywhere. We cant even leave the UK ffs.

No idea where you live but bar households mixing there is zero feeling of people reverting to "normal" here as they simply can't. With this set to go on until the end of June at the very least (assuming we follow England and assuming they stick to that) it won't either. I suspect people are simply becoming accustomed to massive restrictions and hence they are slowly but surely thinking that a tiny bit of loosening feels like life returning to normal. That's a huge concern imo.

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Other than having folk in your house there is f**k all way for anyone to migrate back to their old ways as it stands. Life is still extremely restricted and there is very little joe public can do to reset that themselves. From millions on furlough to home working right through to queuing to get into shops (massive 2m spaces queues in Irvine this week) and then masks being enforced inside said shops. Pubs that can open not opening with signs saying "TOO BLOODY COLD" can't go to watch sport and you need to make an appointment to go anywhere. We cant even leave the UK ffs.

No idea where you live but bar households mixing there is zero feeling of people reverting to "normal" here as they simply can't. With this set to go on until the end of June at the very least (assuming we follow England and assuming they stick to that) it won't either. I suspect people are simply becoming accustomed to massive restrictions and hence they are slowly but surely thinking that a tiny bit of loosening feels like life returning to normal. That's a huge concern imo.

Perhaps I overstated, but yes I've seen loads of people out together in West Dunbartonshire, crowded in streets, gardens, pubs, shops and inside houses. Yes things are shut and restricted, but people are definitely taking less notice of the restrictions. The shops at the weekend were busy, weren't queued to get in and were only 2m distancing at the tills.

I did raise a wry smike at Van Tam saying it was very safe for two vaccinated people to meet each other indoors. Good news, clearly, but begs a key question: why isn't it allowed, then? 
We are at the stage now where some restrictions are being kept almost maliciously.

It's so all the nosey b*****ds can keep reporting people to the police without having to find out whether their neighbours are jagged or not

Perhaps I overstated, but yes I've seen loads of people out together in West Dunbartonshire, crowded in streets, gardens, pubs, shops and inside houses. Yes things are shut and restricted, but people are definitely taking less notice of the restrictions. The shops at the weekend were busy, weren't queued to get in and were only 2m distancing at the tills.
People are doing exactly what they are allowed to, what did anyone really expect. Take the beer garden nonsense. Plenty posts in here saying "glorious", " you love to see it" etc. It's utter bollocks. It's the total opposite of glorious seeing folk chittering, wrapped in blankets huddling under a patio heater just to get a pint. It's horrible to see not lovely ! I've no intention of being part of that charade but each to their own. People not rushing out to newly "allowed" activities isn't a sign that they are scared or changed in any way, it's because they don't want to be restricted.
Some people are happy for a bit more normality, those are the ones lauding the current easing but I suspect the vast majority are still utterly scunnered and waiting for a massive lifting of the current restrictions. Personally I ain't booking weekends away or holidays while they are in any way restricted. I might go for a pint come the May easing depending on the conditions attached to indoor drinking. It's probably more likely to prolong things if govts think people are happy living slightly less restricted lives.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

People are doing exactly what they are allowed to, what did anyone really expect. Take the beer garden nonsense. Plenty posts in here saying "glorious", " you love to see it" etc. It's utter bollocks. It's the total opposite of glorious seeing folk chittering, wrapped in blankets huddling under a patio heater just to get a pint. It's horrible to see not lovely ! I've no intention of being part of that charade but each to their own. People not rushing out to newly "allowed" activities isn't a sign that they are scared or changed in any way, it's because they don't want to be restricted.
Some people are happy for a bit more normality, those are the ones lauding the current easing but I suspect the vast majority are still utterly scunnered and waiting for a massive lifting of the current restrictions. Personally I ain't booking weekends away or holidays while they are in any way restricted. I might go for a pint come the May easing depending on the conditions attached to indoor drinking. It's probably more likely to prolong things if govts think people are happy living slightly less restricted lives.

Part of it will always come down to personal perspective. Yes, everyone would prefer to have no restrictions at all, but plenty will just be happy to accept any easings rather than none.

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

The numbers from India don't reflect the dire reality of the situation at all by all accounts. 

I'm more influenced by pictures of people dying in the streets and the smoke from myriad funeral pyres than a few stats, that's for damn sure.

50 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Quite agree. I'll go for a pint when, if I am in York, I can think, "I could just go a pint", walk into any licensed premises I fancy, walk up to the bar, order a pint, take a good first taste, then turn to a complete stranger, who is also stood at the bar, and have a random conversation - like you would normally do. 

You can take the idea of outdoor drinking in this "brisk" spring weather and fucking launch it. Along with booking, table service, and barring interaction outside of the folk you came in with.  Anyone saying the current situation is "great to see" does not, I would submit, understand what a pub actually is. I post this in the full knowledge that the "old man" drinking houses I favour will probably never re-open, while that cúnt Martin's beer supermarkets continue to thrive. 

191 new cases of COVID-19 reported

18,500 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

1.1% of these were positive

0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive

9 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (down from 12)

67 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (down from 70)

2,802,152 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 1,224,861 have received their second dose

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

9 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
67 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
2,802,152 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 1,224,861 have received their second dose
Slight increase in positivity, however hospital numbers continue to plummet like a Falkirk title challenge, 0 deaths and 3 less in intensive care. Excellent stuff.

Just now, Jan Vojáček said:

I'm just not convinced that we can be sure the vaccines are working though.

We better stay in lockdown indefinitely in case a variant arrives between now and the end of recorded time.

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

Two and a half weeks until we can legally meet our family indoors 🤷‍♂️

I've been going round to my parents since January after they got their first dose of the old Pfizer. 

29 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

9 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (down from 12)

67 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (down from 70)

Shatner-2.jpg

Daily Cases Update:  Another excellent day as cases down another 3.65% and overall to 23.6 per 100K.  

Headlines:  Midlothian with fairly substantial populations in Penicuik & Bonnrigg etc goes Covid Free.   

Tory sorry Mory sorry Moray goes to the top of the charts.

Cigars are lit in Clackmananshire. From the UKs most dangerous Council to Havanas in 2 weeks.  

Ayrshire, Falkirk, Edinburgh & Dundee all substantial decreases.

In Europe vaccination progress is accelerating and case numbers dropping everywhere.

Scotland peaked at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Total Cases 7 days from 21st April to 27th April  were 1341 now 1292 down 3.65%. Positivity was 1.2% now 1.2%.   Cases per 100k were 24.5 now 23.6

Home Nations Daily update:  UK Average  24.8 to 24.5 down 1.21%, England 24.8 to 24.5 down 1.21%,  Wales  12.3 to 12.3 down 0.00%, Northern Ireland 37.8 to 37.2 down 1.59% 

European (Above 2 Million Population) : Croatia 364 to 352,  Sweden 370 to 350,  Netherlands 329 to 316, France 311 to 286,  all destinations over 250 cases per 100K     Note everywhere high up is now starting to drop in Europe.  Vaccination rates are improving and because they only have a 3 week gap between doses are slower to rise.  Belgium as an example now has 26% of population at least with 1 dose.

Special mention for Turkey as a popular destination down to 366 from 435 but now in Lockdown, Cyprus  651 from 705 and happy to accept tourists.

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Shifty Tories should be in lockdown club

Moray 45.9 to 50.1  Up another 9%

Under 50 Level 2 Criteria Club

North Lanarkshire 46.6 to 43.6  Another 6.44% excellent progress

East Dunbartonshire  43.3 to 42.3

Glasgow City  37.3 to 35.2

Fife   32.4 to 34.0  Really poor rise up the charts

South Ayrshire   37.3 to 33.7    Also on the decline another excellent 9.65%  

East Ayrshire   43.4 to 33.6   Crisis over brilliant down 22.58%

West Dunbartonshire  28.1 to 28.1

Perth & Kinross  28.3 to 27.0

Under Scottish Average club 23.6

Falkirk  26.7 to 23.6  Also make it to the average down 11.61%

City Of Edinburgh    26.5 to 23.4  Back below average excellent 11.70% drop  

Dundee City   27.5 to 23.4 Back below average down near 15%

East Renfrewshire   24.1 to 23.0  

Renfrewshire   23.5 to 22.9  

South Lanarkshire 20.3 to 21.5

West Lothian   18.0 to 21.3  Burnieman & Blackburn take them out of smokers club 

Dumfries & Galloway  20.8 to 20.8  Scotland's most dangerous neighbourhood. Upper Nithsdale 586.1 !!!

The  🚬 Club Sub 20.0

North Ayrshire  19.3 to 17.8 

Aberdeen City   14.0 to 16.2 

Clackmannanshire    21.3 to 13.6  Disappear from top to Havana land down another 36%

Stirling  9.6 to 11.7

Inverclyde 12.9 to 11.6

Highlands    6.8 to 10.6

East Lothian  12.1 to 7.5

Aberdeenshire  5.7 to 6.5   

Argyll & Bute  5.8 to 5.8

Angus   4.3 to 5.2 

Orkney Island  4.5 to 4.5  1 Case

Scottish  Borders  2.6 to 3.5  

Midlothian  2.2 to 0.0   

Shetland Islands  0.0 to 0.0  

Western Isles   0.0 to 0.0