Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

That's true, but it's tricky because officially Glasgow is still in lockdown, and the health 'experts' will say that this, combined with the vaccine, has the effect of mitigating the virus. 

They are still unwilling to remove lockdowns and let it become a battle between the virus and the vaccine. And the authorities simply won't this to happen until a much higher percentage of the population have been vaccinated. We're probably around 2 months away from the tipping point where we can say with pretty much certainty that the virus has been effectively suppresed. 

I don't like it, but it's the way it is. Get these vaccines into arms as fast as possible. 

The people that haven't been vaccinated are the least vulnerable in society.  Waiting until they're jagged will have minimal additional benefit.  Mrs Back is in JCVI group 9 and gets her second jag next week so we can't be far off finishing second jags for that cohort.  A couple of weeks after that is the absolute tipping point for me when everything should be opened up and that certainly shouldn't be 2 months away.  End of June at the absolute latest.

Interesting when looking at cases per 100K since Covid started in terms of positive cases for Council areas in the UK.

Blackburn is top in UK at 13,000 cases per 100K,    Glasgow  is top in Scotland at 6,964 but places in lowly 96th place of 214 UK authorities.

Definitely gives credence to Scotland not having near as much natural immunity and thus high case numbers currently.

Edited by superbigal

43 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

At my local bus stop today. 

6FD34B0B-3E99-490F-BAD4-541DE62DE54B.jpeg

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57250285

Seemingly some French 'influencers' were approached to run an anti-mrna campaign as well. It looks like they refused to do so, but I did wonder the motivation behind this (other than people howling at the moon). 

4 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Interesting when looking at cases per 100K since Covid started in terms of positive cases for Council areas in the UK.

Blackburn is top in UK at 13,000 cases per 100K,    Glasgow  is top in Scotland at 6,964 but places in lowly 96th place of 214 UK authorities.

Definitely gives credence to Scotland not having near as much natural immunity and thus high case numbers currently.

England only, but there's a column that shows the percentage of people in the area that have had Covid. As you can see, Blackburn is above 10%. 

Blackburn along with Hyndburn (never heard of it) and Leicester stand out as having been quite persistent areas of Covid throughout the whole pandemic, always being amongst the highest rates in England. That being the case you do wonder if something could've been done at local level to try and mitigate the impact. 

5 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Aye we had a lower peak in the second wave and as a result have a longer tail. All down to hospitality shutting here in October versus England staying open until December 20th in many places. 

I saw someone post that our Covid death rate dropped below England during the second wave. Did the excess deaths show the same effect?

37 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Aye we had a lower peak in the second wave and as a result have a longer tail. All down to hospitality shutting here in October versus England staying open until December 20th in many places. 

I saw someone post that our Covid death rate dropped below England during the second wave. Did the excess deaths show the same effect?

That’s pretty revisionist. Hospitality closed on 5th November in England and only reopened in very limited places in December (the vast majority of England was in either tier 3, which meant no hospitality at all, or tier 2 which meant substantial meals only). I think the main reason England was worse hit in the winter is because the new variant emerged down south so England was further up shit creek by late December than Scotland was. 

4 hours ago, flyingscot said:

This kind of thing seems like a smart idea to do in Glasgow for those that for whatever reason don't want to give details. 

Promise written on a side of a bus? Where have we seen that before...