Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Fully welcome a full Wembley tbh. We need things like this to happen

On the one condition that Italy cause maximum seeth. A riot would be delicious to see.

I missed this yesterday before the match.

"Government sources told the paper a packed stadium "cannot be ruled out" if England reach their first final in over 50 years."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/england-final-italy-fans-attendance-wembley-euro-b1879577.html

So if England hadn't reached the final then they wouldn't have considered it?

This looks suspiciously like cheap populism.
Aren't they still under the guise of "test events" with all ticket holders having to provide proof of a negative test to get in - pretty sure they said that was the case last night.

13 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I missed this yesterday before the match.

"Government sources told the paper a packed stadium "cannot be ruled out" if England reach their first final in over 50 years."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/england-final-italy-fans-attendance-wembley-euro-b1879577.html

So if England hadn't reached the final then they wouldn't have considered it?

This looks suspiciously like cheap populism.

the SNP is populist too, their mnumber one goal is independence and they're not necessarily wedded to a left or right wing means of doing so, they take the path which is likely to buy them the most votes - free university, free prescription, elderly care removal of tolls etc etc . perhaps we have more lovejoys here or more likely it's a desire to paint the opposition - in this case the uk tory gov ( they have no real opposition in scotland) as shite

PS i'd rather England won the euros in front of a full house than have lockdown carry on any further 

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

Aren't they still under the guise of "test events" with all ticket holders having to provide proof of a negative test to get in - pretty sure they said that was the case last night.
I've no issue with it being full capacity - it just seems fishy that it was if England reached the final. Why not if Denmark reached the final?

NHS was is in the toilet pre Covid and now just a car crash. 

Government are doing nothing about it, as no money, so before long it will be more restrictions to protect the NHS (NOT the patients!), telephone appointments and those with critical illness again neglected and a back log higher than Everest.

The answer is not to open everything up, but fix the fucking problems. A very basic concept the the challenged deniers have difficulty with. 

This shit show is not going away and Boris knows it, despite his rhetoric. At least Nicola acknowledges it, but no money to fix f**k all. 

Vets will be stepping into the breach next! 

The UK is a fucking joke. 

Thing is we are miles ahead in many areas of the country with the vaccine rollout than in England not through anything more than having less people. However having hospitals crippled by lack of staffing because of a now not fit for purpose track and trace is unacceptable and we need to get hospitals back up and dealing with what could be a real problem if delays continue while being distracted by COVID 19 and its variants.
I trust nothing that the UK government are doing, it might seem like the best thing in the world Freedom Day but like everything in that clusterf**k of a country it will backfire on them and they will be forced into a U-turn just like Israel and Holland. Meanwhile in Scotland our cases will plummet, the pressure on the hospitals will relax, the fear will subside and we will all be enjoying the rest of the summer looking forward to everyone back to watch the football in August, and no masks nor social distancing, drinking our pints indoors.
Imagine if the SG are actually calling it right, how upsetting would that be for the critics despite everyone having more freedoms back than most of Europe?
If we beefed up or improved track and trace surely that would only result in even more folk isolating. It's not that the system is failing under the volume of cases (which it clearly is) that's the problem, it's the isolation rules that's the problem. The opposition parties are seizing on this "failing T&T" but they simply want more resource pumped into what is at this stage in proceedings is an outdated system. Testing has to be the next step rather than blanket isolation of traced contacts.

I've no issue with it being full capacity - it just seems fishy that it was if England reached the final. Why not if Denmark reached the final?
No arguments on that point but did you expect anything different. You can guarantee there will be no attempt at a system similar to the CL final to allow Italians in quarantine free either despite thousands of UEFA bigwigs being allowed to do exactly that as part of the deal to allow Wembley to retain the final.

12 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Meanwhile in Scotland our cases will plummet, the pressure on the hospitals will relax, the fear will subside and we will all be enjoying the rest of the summer looking forward to everyone back to watch the football in August, and no masks nor social distancing, drinking our pints indoors.

Ah yes

"Longer lockdown for greater normality for longer"

Whether or not the UK Gov approach is right, the SG approach clearly does not work. It needs to change. Why should we just accept continuing with the same failed approach because it's not what England are doing?

This is little more than "just one more month" Lovejoy-esque goalpost shifting.

Edited by Todd_is_God

32 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
42 minutes ago, ICTChris said:
I'm waiting a callback from a GP about a non-Covid related issue.  I realise that the alias fantasist obviously made up all his stories about his GP but I'm consistently amazed by how difficult it is to get an appointment with a doctor.  Has it always been like this?  A few years ago my wife asked for a GP appointment and was told it was a three day wait for an emergency appointment - some emergency! 
Why has this become standard?  Are there too few GPs or an increase in demand?

It depends I think on where you live. We have had normal FTF doctors appointments back in our surgery for months now. Phone before 10 get an appointment same day or next.

My last practice in paisley you could book online/phone for apts upto three weeks in advance or on the day online or by phone at 8am.

My current practice wasn't too bad pre covid but I hadn't been there long. You can speak to a triage nurse same day usually. They've been good so far. I called one morning in a bit of a mess and in fairness the receptionist had my usual GP call me back by 9am. 

2 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Gp practice as a career has not been popular for a long time.  At times it is awful, it has been for several years and it's become quite simply dreadful over last 18 months.

A lot have chucked it to do locum work in other areas as running a practice as a partner is also a business and a stressful one at that.

There was also a ridiculous situation that saw Gp's in particular having to retire due to levels accrued in their pensions otherwise they would take a massive financial hit.  So you have lost a lot of experience in the last few years with not a lot coming through.

Add in being stuck in a small office from 8-6, never seeing anyone other than patients, rarely speaking to colleagues as everyone is busy,  its not the most sociable job.

Chuck in increasing demands and unrealistic expectations from punters, abusive punters, an avalanche of paperwork everyday, its not much fun.

When I started as Anp I would in the summer maybe have a couple of free slots left some days which was great.  I've literally not had a free slot now for 18 months.   These little slots would allow you to do referrals and check results.  I have gp colleagues and on occasions myself who regularly have to stay back for an hour or so to do our referrals and try to catch up with paperwork.  It's not sustainable but there is a lack of staff so what can you do?   It's not like you can say f**k it as its important things you are dealing with.

Anyway not many people want to work as a Gp these days.  It's soul destroying, thankless, mentally exhausting work and funnily enough the rate of burn out is extremely high.

It runs far deeper than that. Try the lack of places at uni for locals, where most are now reserved for overseas students to help finance uni funding shortfalls. They are a business after all. 

Try the burgeoning Admin, locum and bank system draining resources. 

Try the burgeoning box ticking and form filling reducing productivity. 

But lastly and more importantly, hospital consultants being reduced in status to nothing more than plumbers as ex nurses and adminers go into management  roles that they are not qualified for and stifle the clinical practice of Consultants with all manner of fucking nonsense to stop them doing their job. 

Remember it's NOT the Doctors who are deciding not to see patients and to use telephone consultations, which the BMA are very much against and gave warnings about, but the clueless c***s in management. 

As a Consultant friend told me, management have lost the dressing room. 

22 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

the SNP is populist too, their mnumber one goal is independence and they're not necessarily wedded to a left or right wing means of doing so, they take the path which is likely to buy them the most votes - free university, free prescription, elderly care removal of tolls etc etc . perhaps we have more lovejoys here or more likely it's a desire to paint the opposition - in this case the uk tory gov ( they have no real opposition in scotland) as shite

PS i'd rather England won the euros in front of a full house than have lockdown carry on any further 

I wouldn't - at all - be shocked if Boris then tried to U-turn hoping delighted English folk would accept more lockdown just because they won the football. 'We let you all go to the game and party, now back indoors while we see if we've fucked it!'

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Ah yes

"Longer lockdown for greater normality for longer"

Whether or not the UK Gov approach is right, the SG approach clearly does not work. It needs to change. Why should we just accept continuing with the same failed approach because it's not what England are doing?

This is little more than "just one more month" Lovejoy-esque goalpost shifting.

Exactly this. 

Sturgeon can get to absolute f**k if she attempts to delay things even further. 

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

The traditional idea of normality and freedom is being lost or redefined by those with power and influence over the population.

These people are liars and tricksters, do not trust them.

Finding freedom away from that influence and finding self reliance is the beginning of the personal revolution.

Covid was just the opportunity to speed up the process. The agenda was already in play. 

19 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Gp practice as a career has not been popular for a long time.  At times it is awful, it has been for several years and it's become quite simply dreadful over last 18 months.

A lot have chucked it to do locum work in other areas as running a practice as a partner is also a business and a stressful one at that.

There was also a ridiculous situation that saw Gp's in particular having to retire due to levels accrued in their pensions otherwise they would take a massive financial hit.  So you have lost a lot of experience in the last few years with not a lot coming through.

Add in being stuck in a small office from 8-6, never seeing anyone other than patients, rarely speaking to colleagues as everyone is busy,  its not the most sociable job.

Chuck in increasing demands and unrealistic expectations from punters, abusive punters, an avalanche of paperwork everyday, its not much fun.

When I started as Anp I would in the summer maybe have a couple of free slots left some days which was great.  I've literally not had a free slot now for 18 months.   These little slots would allow you to do referrals and check results.  I have gp colleagues and on occasions myself who regularly have to stay back for an hour or so to do our referrals and try to catch up with paperwork.  It's not sustainable but there is a lack of staff so what can you do?   It's not like you can say f**k it as its important things you are dealing with.

Anyway not many people want to work as a Gp these days.  It's soul destroying, thankless, mentally exhausting work and funnily enough the rate of burn out is extremely high.

Where I work we should have 5gps everyday,  instead we have 2 most days, occasionally one with 2Anp's.  It's not sustainable.

Furthermore Anp's are not Gp's yes they are highly qualified but are not doctors despite practices using them to plug gaps.  Its not great.

Also there is a new role called a physicians assistant who is basically someone who has per se a biology degree who can then do a course over two years to become qualified as a PA.  That will be the next gimmick to fill the lack of go's. Again not actually a doctor.

So in essence working as a Gp these days is about as attractive as option to a qualified doctor as running through a field of cacti naked.

Insightful.

Thank you.

36 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

One of the receptionists in our surgery is genuinely horrible, especially to patients who don't have English as a first language.  The one I spoke to today was perfectly fine though.

But why is there a shortage of GPs?  Do new doctors not want to work in that area, what are the reasons for that? 

Regarding demand, I found this blog from a couple of years ago - https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/science-blog/why-does-it-take-so-long-see-gp

I doubt Covid will improve any of this.

Regarding shortage, I read recently that a majority of GP’s  (mainly women) only want to work part time. 

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Exactly this. 

Sturgeon can get to absolute f**k if she attempts to delay things even further. 

This is far bigger than the SNP ffs.

If one looks at how things played out last year, Boris will again roll back on all that he said. I'll give it until September. 

If it were only about Covid. There is a much bigger picture at play here.