Coronavirus (COVID-19)

25 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

I have to say that although I agree with having to open up and start getting back to normality; however in my work there are numerous youngsters (previously fit and healthy) in the COVID HDU/ICU in Ninewells absolutely floored by COVID, some single jabbed and some no jabbed. It’s an utterly bizarre virus, because even some people who catch it and aren’t vaccinated barely get ill but others who are either jabbed or not jabbed get seriously ill from it. I don’t know how the country at large can deal with this in a long term way because it seems to be making people ill in a random manner with no clear demographic pattern (aside from the really elderly).

Interesting.

Do you have any kind of profile of those youngsters? Weight, underlying illnesses, etc.

Anyway, sad as it may be, we need to take a broad view on this and, as long as deaths and serious illness  are declining the country needs to move back to normality. It may mean increasing capacity in the health service but the population at large cannot be held back by ‘numerous’ youngsters getting ill.

12 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

NS saying she’s still considering vaccine passports. I fully expect her to follow that clown down south and introduce them to be seen to care 

Watching her comments the two objections she mentioned were people who can't have the vaccine for medical reasons and people who are too young for the vaccine. Both of these issues will be accommodated in the Westminster plan so she is most likely moving towards implenting them.

The big question is who will run the vaccine passport system for Scots, Holyrood or Westminster?

1 minute ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Tony Blair and a cabal of evil Israelis will obviously be controlling the app. It's all part of the global conspiracy to make Jeremy Corbyn look like a doddery old git.

Funny you should post this the day after a cabal of evil Israelis were revealed as having being organising political murder around the world for the past decade....

Blair is obviously baw deep in this but we have enough right wing arseholes in the UK to run Digital ID without needing any extra help from abroad. 

11 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Interesting.

Do you have any kind of profile of those youngsters? Weight, underlying illnesses, etc.

Anyway, sad as it may be, we need to take a broad view on this and, as long as deaths and serious illness  are declining I'm not personally affected the country needs to move back to normality. It may mean increasing capacity in the health service but the population at large I cannot be held back by ‘numerous’ youngsters getting ill.

FTFY. 

39 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

I have to say that although I agree with having to open up and start getting back to normality; however in my work there are numerous youngsters (previously fit and healthy) in the COVID HDU/ICU in Ninewells absolutely floored by COVID, some single jabbed and some no jabbed. It’s an utterly bizarre virus, because even some people who catch it and aren’t vaccinated barely get ill but others who are either jabbed or not jabbed get seriously ill from it. I don’t know how the country at large can deal with this in a long term way because it seems to be making people ill in a random manner with no clear demographic pattern (aside from the really elderly).

There will always be anecdotal evidence - it's what the newspapers live on. "Senga, 39, was a fit and healthy mother of five when she died of Covid...AFTER being vaccinated!"

Nobody ever said vaccines stop all infections, or even stop all deaths. But beyond the anecdotal (which includes my sister - double jabbed and had a really bad bout of Covid afterwards) you need to look at the wider population as a whole. Compare now to the wave in January. Similar case numbers but much fewer hospitalisations and deaths. The only difference is the vaccine. It reduces the risk that Covid poses.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

How long do you think restrictions should continue?

I think WRK suffers or has suffered, with ill health so it's understandable to want them to stay in place, albeit a bit rich to imply that the poster who mentioned opening up is for the greater good, was in fact thinking of himself.

Just now, jimbaxters said:

I think WRK suffers or has suffered, with ill health so it's understandable to want them to stay in place, albeit a bit rich to imply that the poster who mentioned opening up is for the greater good, was in fact thinking of himself.

Aye, pretty much my point. We are now past the stage that restrictions are the only option for keeping people relatively safe, vaccines are working and I feel we're at a stage that people can judge their own risk with whatever they want to do. If people who may be at higher risk feel we still need restrictions then I'm intrigued to know at which point they will be happy for the rest of us to get on with it. 

A singer I enjoy posted this morning that he was going back on tour. He said the fact that so many people were flying around without distancing or masks scared him but ultimately he had to get back to what keeps him happy. He stressed to any of his fans that if they felt in danger in any way by going to one of his gigs then they should just stay home. He said they shouldn't feel like they have to attend to support him after basically a year of no income and that there will be plenty of gigs in future for them to attend when they feel safe to do so. Someone will need to explain to me why this logic can't be applied across the board now.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Aye, pretty much my point. We are now past the stage that restrictions are the only option for keeping people relatively safe, vaccines are working and I feel we're at a stage that people can judge their own risk with whatever they want to do. If people who may be at higher risk feel we still need restrictions then I'm intrigued to know at which point they will be happy for the rest of us to get on with it. 

A singer I enjoy posted this morning that he was going back on tour. He said the fact that so many people were flying around without distancing or masks scared him but ultimately he had to get back to what keeps him happy. He stressed to any of his fans that if they felt in danger in any way by going to one of his gigs then they should just stay home. He said they shouldn't feel like they have to attend to support him after basically a year of no income and that there will be plenty of gigs in future for them to attend when they feel safe to do so. Someone will need to explain to me why this logic can't be applied across the board now.

Because we just don't know!!!!!!!! 

16 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Vaccine passports aren’t about control or even the virus. For months Boris has been trying every which way to implement them in order to hand over public money to his Tory pals to make them.

With Blair in the background. If vaccine passports were useful I doubt any body would object but the fact vaccination doesnt 100% prevent someone getting covid means it's all a bit futile 

Edited by Thereisalight..

On 19/07/2021 at 10:47, Jacksgranda said:

And the youngest grandchild, who hasn't been in contact with us for a fortnight, has also tested negative, so she must have a bug of some description. (She's running a very high temperature.)

She has some form of E-Coli according to the latest phone call and is currently on a drip to get fluids into her.

She's caught if from an animal, apparently. They live on a farm, but you can't catch it from sheep. She maybe picked it up when they visited Dublin Zoo.