Coronavirus (COVID-19)

You'd hope that the more nonsensical the mask stuff looks with Scotrail not enforcing it, naebdy at the fitba bothering, the pointlessness of it all in nightclubs etc it might make the Scottish government have a wee bit of a rethink. You'd hope. 

18 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

You'd hope that the more nonsensical the mask stuff looks with Scotrail not enforcing it, naebdy at the fitba bothering, the pointlessness of it all in nightclubs etc it might make the Scottish government have a wee bit of a rethink. You'd hope. 

The Scottish Government will have to, at some point, make it discretionary. When that point is reached is anyone’s guess. Officially then, I’ve no idea when those in Holyrood will stop clinging onto mandatory face coverings as a device to show they care more, or, like a wean sucking on a dummy, they just cannot let it go. When you see 50,000 maskless Sevconians greetin’ into their Bovril, or the nonsensical ‘dancing OK, going for a pish, stick on a mask’, or the risible ‘vertical drinking’ bollocks, or Scotrail not enforcing it… then I think mask wearing will slowly fade, erode, as more and more generally law abiding citizens simply say ‘enough’. They now won’t feel that not wearing one to buy a pint of milk in Tesco is going to have you challenged by staff, or looked at in disgust by those wearing them - because they’re either happy to wear them, or hate wearing them, but don’t want to be a troublemaker rocking the boat. 

Either that, or Scot Gov hope to drag this mandatory shite out until winter arrives, then play the ‘just give it a few more months Scotland. Stick with it. We. Are. Scotland’ card.

Edited by pozbaird

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I think the Scottish Government will have to, at some point, make it discretionary. When that point is reached is anyone’s guess. Officially then, I’ve no idea when those in Holyrood will stop clinging onto mandatory face coverings as a device to show they care more, or, like a wean sucking on a dummy, they just cannot let it go. When you see 50,000 maskless Sevconians greetin’ into their Bovril, or the nonsensical ‘dancing OK, going for a pish, stick on a mask’, or the risible ‘vertical drinking’ bollocks, or Scotrail not enforcing it… then I think mask wearing will slowly fade, erode, as more and more generally law abiding citizens simply say ‘enough’. They now won’t feel that not wearing one to buy a pint of milk in Tesco is going to have you challenged by staff, or looked at in disgust by those wearing them - because they’re either happy to wear them, or hate wearing them, but don’t want to be a troublemaker rocking the boat. 

Either that, or Scot Gov hope to drag this mandatory shite out until winter arrives, then play the ‘just give it a few more months Scotland. Stick with it. We. Are. Scotland’.

As long as they bring back the "not giving in" song, it's become one of my all time favourites, so much so that i might sing it at the next Karaoke night that I attend. Dignity and Deacon Blue can take a back seat.

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

We went to Dunfermline at the weekend to visit the mutants of Fife. The Kingsgate shopping centre had, I reckon, about 70% of people in masks and the rest mask-free.

100% wearing masks still

image.jpeg.a79452c824074eaec87d1c68ed6b915f.jpeg

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Thoroughly enjoying my first full day of being double vaccinated - woke up this morning and went for a piss, started feeling like my body was trying to evacuate everything else before I finished - suddenly choking for a shite and feeling ready to spew. Went down to lean over the bowl and start retching, started having a hot flush and sweat like a menopausal woman where I could physically feel the sweat coming out of my pores.

My arm's sorer than the first time too.

Bagsy writing your obituary in the deadpool thread Goodnight, sweet prince RIP

• 1,498 new cases of COVID-19 reported (1271 one week ago)
  • 32,735 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results
    • 5.0% of these were positive (4.7% one week ago)
  • 10 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (13 one week ago)
  • 42 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (58 one week ago)
  • 356 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (383 one week ago)
  • 4,034,420 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 3,375,524 have received their second dose

6 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:
  • 1,498 new cases of COVID-19 reported (1271 one week ago)
  • 32,735 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results
    • 5.0% of these were positive (4.7% one week ago)
  • 10 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (13 one week ago)
  • 42 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (58 one week ago)
  • 356 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (383 one week ago)
  • 4,034,420 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 3,375,524 have received their second dose

Overall good news - OK the cases are up but I think people are paying a bit less attention to that as a metric. The important metrics are headed the right way.

Daily Cases Update:  Day 5 in a row of case rises up 2.27% to 155.7 and infectivity up again to 5.9%   

Is this our 4th wave of infection ? Well cases reported for yesterday are 1,498 which if taken on average point to a 23% increase up to around 190 cases per 100K within a week to 10 days.

I suspect the 16-17 year olds now affecting the vaccine figures with a huge rise in 1st doses yesterday.

Figures for Jags  1st Vaccines excellent went up from 2,652 to 4,941     2nd vaccines up from 15,747 to 17,721

Total Cases Scotland 7 days 2nd August to 8th August were 8,322 now 8,511 up 2.27%, Positivity was 5.8% now 5.9%.  Cases per 100K were 152.3 now 155.7  

Home Nations Daily update  :  UK Average  277.4 to 282.2 up 1.73%, England  291.9 to 296.6 up 1.61%, Wales 146.9 to 150.4 up 2.38%, Northern Ireland   443.5 to 454.0 up 2.37%

In Europe for travellers Spain  266.8 to 256.8,  France  242.2 to 245.9,   Ireland 209.1 to 221.6, Greece 185.0 to 196.5, Portugal 156.8 to 158.3, These are still the only main countries over 110 cases per 100K

Scotland peaks in Wave 3 at 425.1 for 27th June to 3rd July, (UK was 229.9) . Cases that day were 23,222 and positivity 10.8%

Scotland previously peaked in wave 2 at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

East Lothian  228.0 to 253.9   Up another 11.36%  Prestonpanns  817.0

North Ayrshire   215.3 to 220.5  7th day in a row of rises up to 2nd spot.

North Lanarkshire   214.9 to 219.0  

South Lanarkshire   215.4 to 217.9 

West Dunbartonshire  192.4 to 202.6 

Fife  180.7 to 185.5  

Dumfries & Galloway   174.0 to 182.3  

Midlothian  168.5 to 165.3 

East Renfrewshire  154.1 to 164.5 

Inverclyde  147.9 to 160.9  

City Of Edinburgh  149.9 to 153.1

Glasgow City  147.6 to 150.4

Highlands  141.4 to 150.8  

West Lothian   156.1 to 147.4

Scottish  Borders  139.7 to 146.7

Renfrewshire  141.6 to 146.6

East Ayrshire  156.3 to 146.4

Stirling   142.4 to 139.2

South Ayrshire   124.8 to 132.9

Argyll & Bute   124.1 to 127.6

Aberdeenshire   117.7 to 124.2 

Falkirk    112.1 to 121.4

East Dunbartonshire 122.3 to 120.5

Aberdeen City  118.3 to 119.6

Dundee City  123.0 to 117.6  

Clackmannanshire  83.8 to 93.6

Perth & Kinross   94.1 to 92.8

Angus    88.9 to 92.4   

Moray   79.4 to 79.4 

Shetland Islands   65.6 to 56.8

Western Isles   67.9 to 52.8  

Orkney Islands  40.2 to 44.6

Edited by superbigal

7 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Some people in the replies are going to struggle for a very long time to get back to normal. 

They are just moon howlers on Twitter. The town was absolutely mobbed again yesterday. Glorious scenes.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Scotrail have never enforced it.

Has it been enforced anywhere? Apart from hospitals and buses, I can't think of anywhere more suited to pass around COVID than a train carriage. So if they won't even enforce it on a train, what's the point in the law mandating mask use?

1 minute ago, sparky88 said:

Has it been enforced anywhere? Apart from hospitals and buses, I can't think of anywhere more suited to pass around COVID than a train carriage. So if they won't even enforce it on a train, what's the point in the law mandating mask use?

Planes/ airlines have been the most militant enforcers

18 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Has it been enforced anywhere? Apart from hospitals and buses, I can't think of anywhere more suited to pass around COVID than a train carriage. 

Schools and large workplaces are far more suited to passing it around than public transport, given that you generally don't spend six hours minimum each day on the latter.

I see Scotrail are not going to enforce the wearing of masks on trains.
Sensible approach.
Looks like the beginning of the end.
That's a zero change since it came into being. Always was BTPs job never been Scotrails job to enforce it and they never have so it makes not one iota of difference to the adherence.

You not got a member of the family on the board at Scotrail yet ?

Just like every other law, it's the job of the police to enforce it, not Scotrail or Tesco or whoever.