Coronavirus (COVID-19)

18 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I haven't read any stories about hospitals being "unable to cope" since the daft rules about keeping healthcare staff who weren't ill off work were changed.

356 people in hospital, in the grand scheme of things, really isn't many at all.

Be interesting to see the number today, all the same - hopefully the end of the weekend sees a good number of people released from hospital.

I can only go with my experience last week. Fell off my bike about 8.30pm on Wednesday. It took 2 hours for the ambulance to come (because I wasn't a high priority case - just a broken hip) then I sat outside ARI in a queue for another hour and a half before finally getting a bed in A&E because there were none available until they get someone out, Getting an X-ray was quick and once they'd found out it was broken, it was only another hour before I was on a ward (isolated until the negative covid test result came back. Operated on at 9 on the Thursday morning then back home on Friday at 5pm to free up a bed.

Basically they were pretty busy but not anywhere near overwhelmed.

Edited by Suspect Device

5 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

"If the surge continues, and if it accelerates...we cannot completely rule out having to reimpose restrictions"

f**k off 

Bluster IMO, nothing more than leaving the door open. No UK Gov furlough support = no Scottish only restrictions on businesses.

"If the surge continues, and if it accelerates...we cannot completely rule out having to reimpose restrictions"
f**k off 

Felt to me like a line added on to please the perma lockdown brigade.

10 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

f**k off 

I think they have to say that but in reality they can't go back to the restrictions without the safety net of furlough payments.

The economy would tank incredibly quickly and the popularity of the SG would go along with it.

Journalists choking for cases to be an issue.
NS and, in particular, GS choking to tell them to stop being wet wipes
This. STV twat actually asking for reassurances for those who are not feeling like getting back to normal life that they won't be "left behind". 1st opportunity to quiz the FM for weeks and that's the schtick, piss poor.

Just now, Suspect Device said:

I think they have to say that but in reality they can't go back to the restrictions without the safety net of furlough payments.

The economy would tank incredibly quickly and the popularity of the SG would go along with it.

Ridiculous position to be in isn't it? An elected national government unable to protect its population because we aren't allowed to have our own money. 

A typically great briefing tho, thoroughly reassuring to have such a competent and compassionate leader in these difficult times. We are so fortunate to have her. 

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
Journalists choking for cases to be an issue.
NS and, in particular, GS choking to tell them to stop being wet wipes

This. STV twat actually asking for reassurances for those who are not feeling like getting back to normal life that they won't be "left behind". 1st opportunity to quiz the FM for weeks and that's the schtick, piss poor.

He’s an absolute moron. Don’t know how he’s still got a gig. 

2 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Ridiculous position to be in isn't it? An elected national government unable to protect its population because we aren't allowed to have our own money. 

A typically great briefing tho, thoroughly reassuring to have such a competent and compassionate leader in these difficult times. We are so fortunate to have her. 

Do you actually want to go back? I definitely don't. I wasn't making this into a cry for independence (even though I want independence it's a separate issue for me)

lol wut?

Mate, she’s not gonnae shag you

Just now, Suspect Device said:

Do you actually want to go back? I definitely don't. I wasn't making this into a cry for independence (even though I want independence it's a separate issue for me)

Of course not, nobody wants to go back but to be unable to offer financial support to allow business restrictions if required is bananas. 

3 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Of course not, nobody wants to go back but to be unable to offer financial support to allow business restrictions if required is bananas. 

Or the SG could do the grown up thing and accept Covid is here forever and let everyone get on with it?

Have to say, having often been dismayed by previous briefings, I thought the message today was overall pretty reasonable. Cases are up, positivity up while acknowledging much more testing being done than previously and that the significant majority of cases are in those not fully vaccinated. Hospital numbers are up in the last few days and stating they are likely to go up a bit more as are deaths. Repeated please take the opportunity to get vaccinated. We surely shouldn't be surprised that NS didn't rule out further restrictions if the key numbers get significantly worse. She was never going to saying anything different.

The questions from the journalists remain dire.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer