Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 hours ago, SoapMactavish said:

Its struggling more from inappropriate A&E attendances and conversely the increase in people coming to A&E that are too sick. 

Is it mostly GPs refusing to offer face to face appointments (or an otherwise lack of GP appointments) that's creating the former? If it is indeed lack of face to face, do you think this is something that would make a big difference? 

The latter is something that I don't know how you even begin to address. Presumably people that have been ill a while and decided  they didn't want to trouble their doctor or burden the NHS during a pandemic. Only when it gets bad do they seek medical attention. 

36 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The latter is something that I don't know how you even begin to address.

You start by constantly talking up the job the vaccines are doing in reducing the risk of serious illness and death.

You test symptomatic people only.

You include only people hospitalised for Covid treatment in the daily figures.

You make GPs accessible face to face again rather than it being framed as "too dangerous"

People clearly still are in the mindset of "I know I might be seriously unwell, but Covid is worse so I won't risk it" 

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 hour ago, TheBruce said:

Eh?!

The case is simple. The younger team are now the biggest super spreaders around and make up two thirds of all hospitalisations and are dying. Not hard.

From my brood, only my oldest son has avoided getting vaxxed and he's been been told by all, not to visit until he does, so he's visiting a drop in on Friday.

My 9yo granddaughter tested positive two days ago. Nothing serious thus far touch wood, but it's not good to hear of one of your loved ones catching it at any age.

I'm for all high school age and above for getting vaxxed. It's the only answer to minimise spread, serious illness and death. The government aren't looking to kill off the younger population with vaxxing ffs.

I caught it early doors last year and I was fucking ill. Worse than flu, but not bad enough to be hospitalised. Thought I was fucking dying. i wouldn't want any of my own to go through it.  Who knows, who might just be the next unlucky b*****d with good health and no co-morbidities to croak it as we have seen over the course of it.

This remains a novel virus and ultimate outcome full of unknowns. More twists and turns to come. Governments and media have been c***s, between the drip feeding, the innuendo, the poor decision making, the lies and sensationalism. In the meantime it's not panic, nor live in fear, but live the life as best you can with any restrictions, but most of all, take responsibility and be responsible and not be a selfish c**t thinking you are infallible whilst putting both ones self and others at risk. You're a long time dead and the younger the worst of it. 150k dead and countless more badly affected. That's a lot of families and loved ones affected, so it's do the right thing for the greater good.

I mean to be fair, it's not hard at all when you've completely made it up.

The rest of the post swings wildly between anecdotes, boomer nonsense and birthday card rhetoric.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, Steven W said:

I see excess deaths are up - quite considerably, compared with A) last year and B) the last five years (@travelling tabby).

Covid deaths are, I'd have thought pretty small in numbers. 

What's the explanation for the high death numbers. Any ideas?

Topping yourself after reading this thread I'd imagine. 

16 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Expect outrage at the now free dental treatment in Scotland for under 26s.

edit- NHS

The outrage seems to now being able to get an appointment. I got an emergency one no bother ( did pay a hefty wack to get it sorted). In saying that I know many people who just go to the dental hospital and get it for free anyway. 

8 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

That isn't what I was asking, though.

From a restrictions point of view, symptomatic or not, someone who isn't in hospital as a result of needing (or receiving) treatment for Covid shouldn't be included in the stats in a way that could show covid hospitalisations rising.

On A&E misuse, it's simply unacceptable IMO that GPs are still refusing face to face appointments.

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

Is it mostly GPs refusing to offer face to face appointments (or an otherwise lack of GP appointments) that's creating the former? If it is indeed lack of face to face, do you think this is something that would make a big difference? 

The latter is something that I don't know how you even begin to address. Presumably people that have been ill a while and decided  they didn't want to trouble their doctor or burden the NHS during a pandemic. Only when it gets bad do they seek medical attention. 

Wife hasnt stopped offering face to face consultations since the pandemic started, they are an independent practice outwith a health centre. Two things that have stopped them having more face to face appointments are the gowning up and down for each appointment which obviously takes time (at the initial phase of the pandemic) and secondly, they’ve been instructed by the health board that the 2 meter distancing rules have to stay in place in waiting rooms etc, so that significantly reduces the number of people they can have in the waiting rooms and the like. They want to offer more face to face but are being told no due to the distancing, which they dont agree with. Its not GP’s fault that this is happening. In any job type there are lazy fuckers who will rip the arse out of any chance to do less work, but they are very much the minority. 
My mrs has never been busier with work and that certainly wasnt easy during the worst of the pandemic when the government shut the nursery and offered no alternative. 

4 hours ago, Steven W said:

I see excess deaths are up - quite considerably, compared with A) last year and B) the last five years (@travelling tabby).

Covid deaths are, I'd have thought pretty small in numbers. 

What's the explanation for the high death numbers. Any ideas?

I know a few anecdotal stories of what this might be. An old school friend of mine - his mum was getting thinner and thinner but didn't want to see a doctor because of "the Covid". She collapsed at home, was taken into hospital and it was found that she was riddled with cancer. She died a few days later. 

I suspect that excess deaths over the next few years will be there due to missed diagnoses.  

14 minutes ago, TheBruce said:

Firstly, not a trend over time.

What?

Secondly both Sturgeon and Whitty must be lying when they both very publicly stated that two thirds of hospital admissions are of the younger age groups and the non vaxxed.

Aside from the fact that "younger age groups and non vaxxed" does not mean "⅔ of hospitalisations are young people" when did they say this? 

We can all do stats to support an agenda ffs.

Yet you can't provide any stats to back up your wildly false claim.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Time to ditch the pointless tests and just accept it. Get everything back to normal, act responsibly but start living our lives again without all the panic nonsense. 

This illustrates, once again, why we need to get used to Covid circulating.

Experts have been clear we should expect to be infected repeatedly over our lifetimes.

But each reinfection should be milder than the previous one.

And, for most, even those early infections will be milder than they would have been, because the vaccines remain highly effective at preventing serious illness.

The "good news", Prof Adam Finn, of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), says, is the vaccines, having effectively taken the edge off the virus by giving our immune system a head start, are still working very well.

Sons has confirmed positive so him and I are in isolation. His sisters are negative but keeping them off until Monday so we're through most infectious stage.

My youngest is being a delight........

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Expect outrage at the now free dental treatment in Scotland for under 26s.

edit- NHS

The NHS Dental funding and current problems still surrounding use of AGPs mean this is basically a "gesture" rather than "reality".

Edit to elaborate.  Most NHS appointment times give something like 15-30 mins maximum.   Most dental surgeries still need 15+ minutes of fallow time following a procedure (Poor Ventilation), and are only supplied very limited supplies of FFP3 masks (NHS directive and rationing due to cost). 

Then it follows that you can only do about half as much work in the time you have, and often for less money because of added costs.

To be fare compared to GP practices who have turned into covid fearing Hermits at least dentists see patients.

NHS dentistry is dieing.   The amount they actual get for a filling would astonish you.  Be far better taking up being a plumber.

Edited by superbigal

JCVI set to "change" advice to now vaccinate 12-15 year olds.

My word.  Expect they will spin it as a result of more research in the last few weeks.

As opposed to the reality of case number increases and English schools going back shortly and political pressure.

Edited by superbigal

No wonder folk don't want to go to NHS.

Boss has an appointment at The Killing Fields (Raigmore) next Friday .

He has to get a test on Tuesday then isolate regardless of the result before the appointment.

That just seems mental.
That scenario sounds entirely made up as I've been to multiple appointments at Raigmore with my wife/daughter and not once has anyone had to do a test or isolate. He's at it.

58 minutes ago, TheBruce said:

Oh dear, another denier.

What am I denying exactly? Covid? Absolutely not the case, I'm long since double jagged and happily did so.

Am I denying what you said? That 2/3rd of hospital cases are 'the young team'? Absolutely, I am, as it's a total fabrication and people like you deserve to be called out when telling outright lies.

Quite possibly as I've not seen him since about May, his father died, feeling ropey, getting Covid a week after second Jag then blues and twos to Raigmore 3 weeks ago.

Back at work (I'm on holiday) but that's what he told me this morning. Might be because it's a surgical procedure? [emoji1745]
It will be to do with it being a surgical procedure I would imagine.

My wife had surgery during this (albeit last November) and had to do a test and then stay at home before she went into hospital.

1 minute ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Seems that the mask made a big difference seeing as they never got infected while wearing one but got infected while not wearing one. 

I’d hazard a guess that the masks being worn in hospitals aren’t the masks being worn by your average punter in the street.  Could be wild speculation but it wouldn’t surprise me if medical grade masks are a tad more effective than yanking a snood over your mouth and nose.