Coronavirus (COVID-19)

15 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yep, the staffing crisis is only going to get worse. Most of my wifes business partners are late 50’s early 60’s, recruiting new GP’s particularly outwith Glasgow/Edinburgh is becoming increasingly difficult. 
The other significant factor is the complete balls up the Scottish Government have made in terms of taxation and pensions, with the way its all worked out a GP working 7 sessions (3.5 days a week) with the difference between taxation and superan it would actually cost them money to work out of hours shifts, which in turn means these services are suffering also. 

It's not the Scottish government who've done this to the pensions. It's the UK government who brought in annual allowances and lifetime contribution limits to pensions that impact higher earners in the public sector. It was designed to stop high earners in the private sector using the tax benefits of pension contributions, but the level that they're set at impacts e.g. consultants, GPs and senior management. It's an issue with NHS pensions as they're not a defined contribution scheme, but a defined benefit scheme, contributions are simply a proportion of your salary, but there's no pension pot as such, but a notional value that's calculated. When this was brought in, loads of my colleagues all of a sudden got tax bills in five figures. Many just retired, as there's no point in continuing to pay to go to work.

22 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

I would assume it’s fair to imagine the majority are in for covid reasons only given the jump up we are seeing but it would be good to see a breakdown to see the vaccine effect but I guess ultimately they still need to have them isolated if they have covid but are in for a hip op as opposed to having any covid symptoms.

I'm not sure this has to be true. Based on the case numbers, something like 1.5% of the Scottish population have tested positive for covid in the last 28 days. It follows that a greater number of people in hospital for whatever non-covid related reason might have had a positive test at some point.

I have no idea how many "extra" hospitalisations that corresponds to though.

11 minutes ago, RiG said:

The journalists seem absolutely desperate for any kind of comment that gives them a chance to write a clickbaity story with a big scary headline of "RESTRICTIONS ARE COMING BACK!".

They have been the early day cheerleaders of restrictions the whole of the pandemic. Similarly, when restrictions are in place, they repeatedly ask when they will end and they can hug their gran again. 

At least they can all now go home and tick their 'held government to account' box. Disappointed they can't write the article they want to, but there'll be another briefing soon for the same questions to be asked. We go again. 

Edited by Michael W

I mentioned this the other day, but it's unaceptable that we don't know how many of those 479 are in hospital for treatment of Covid, and how many have tested positive but are in for and receiving treatment for something else.

The only estimate we can give is 23% are in hospital for primarily other reasons, based on a one-off figure released in England in July. You’d assume it’ll generally hover within a few percentage points of that, so one in four or one in five at any given time.

It’s a pretty difficult thing to calculate without looking at every single case individually, every day. But it’s very poor that we still don’t have some form of regular attempt at it.

I would also think that 23% figure would come down a little bit during a a strong ‘wave’, like we’re experiencing right now, but just as Covid is more prevalent in the community it’s inevitably going to be more prevalent in hospital patients going through routine admission testing. We’re going to see a real surge in hospital cases in the coming days, at an estimate we’re heading towards 700 or so unless things come down rapidly soon. At 700 the real figure would be in the ballpark of 525-560.

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

I think we are simply seeing the reality that Scotland had less infections during previous waves compared to the rest of the UK. The numbers can't and won't keep rising forever, so hopefully this peaks fairly soon which will be a key moment with society as open as it is currently, regardless of ongoing theatre.

Cases hardly matter. In fact, it shouldn't be a comfort if they go down, in much the same way we shouldn't panic if they rise, even exponentially- cos of vaccines. 

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

If you believe masks work then wear them.

I do. That still doesn't explain how someone lying about something completely different means masks don't work. I'm trying to understand how you came to that conclusion from a completely unrelated point.

50 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Thread about ivermectin, kind of answering the question I asked earlier.

I seen stuff on this subject pop up on Twitter a few days ago and wondered how it started. This thread answers a lot of the questions I had.

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

I think we are simply seeing the reality that Scotland had less infections during previous waves compared to the rest of the UK. The numbers can't and won't keep rising forever, so hopefully this peaks fairly soon which will be a key moment with society as open as it is currently, regardless of ongoing theatre.

Problem with this analysis is that Your Dunbartonshires, Lanarkshires & Renfrewshires that were previously always at the top of the Scottish charts should now be down at the bottom.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Sturgeon knows this is an endemic and we just needs to ride out the latest spike.

The weirdo journalists desperate for another lockdown so they can work from home again can f**k off.

Tbf, that's one of the few good things to come out of Covid. 

28 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I'm sure you'll be fine. 

(As long as covid decides not to give a rat's ass about you.) 

Covid left my mask free, vertical drinking, ass alone 4 weeks ago. I'm assuming it could smell both doses of AZ goodness flowing through my veins.

Edited by Todd_is_God