Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

They're "collapsing" in England tho....

Screenshot_2021-11-18_16.54.18-removebg-preview (2).png

Here we go now.....

Poster A; "Cases in England are dropping. This is a good thing"

Poster B; "Actually, the data you are looking at isn't right, cases aren't dropping"

Poster C; "YAAAAAAASSSS HAHAHAHAHA theres loads of cases your a total moonhowler!!!!>!!L!L!!L!"

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Here we go now.....

Poster A; "Cases in England are dropping. This is a good thing"

Poster B; "Actually, the data you are looking at isn't right, cases aren't dropping"

Poster C; "YAAAAAAASSSS HAHAHAHAHA theres loads of cases your a total moonhowler!!!!>!!L!L!!L!"

I don't think its a good thing, i'm not celebrating, i think this is bad.  Which is why I think you should wear your mask, wash your hands, get vaccinated, and basically do as you are fucking well told. There's a good chap.

2 hours ago, CheeseBurger said:

I'm not anti-vax, I'm pro-freedom and pro-vaccinations that actually work.

Are there any vaccines that offer 100% immunity, for any disease? Anything over 60% is a result I think. See how many case numbers result in hospitalisations or deaths now compared to before most people were vaccinated. They're fucking brilliant.

14 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Last week you were picking averages to show that cases were going up "AN ASTONISHING XXXX" (and my, don't we all miss THOSE posts from you 😜).

This week you're picking individual dates to do the same thing.

You're just peddling whatever stats suit your desire for drama.

Abuse of statistics should be a crime punishable by pelting with rancid eggs in the stocks. 😀

Meantime, in the real world, numbers are fluctuating wildly on some days over others but the longer term cases trend (since July) seems to still be relatively flat at around 35k.

IMO that won't change unless they start vaccinating kids.

How are hospitalisations and deaths faring?

ETA. Daily deaths have relatively flat since the start of August.

There is literally nothing to see here.

No particular desire to intrude on your feud with @superbigal but in this case he was replying to a specific claim by @Todd_is_God that there had been "Another huge crash in week on week daily figures". 

Last week you were picking averages to show that cases were going up "AN ASTONISHING XXXX" (and my, don't we all miss THOSE posts from you [emoji12]).
Abuse of statistics should be a crime punishable by pelting with rancid eggs in the stocks. [emoji3]
Meantime, in the real world, numbers are fluctuating wildly on some days over others but the longer term cases trend (since July) seems to still be relatively flat at around 35k.
IMO that won't change unless they start vaccinating kids.
How are hospitalisations and deaths faring?
ETA. Daily deaths have relatively flat since the start of August.
There is literally nothing to see here.
What about abuse of the English language in erotica?

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Last week you were picking averages to show that cases were going up "AN ASTONISHING XXXX" (and my, don't we all miss THOSE posts from you 😜).

Okay you are correct, Let us not just pick today as a bad example to challenge Toddthespiritinthesky

Yesterday weekly average up.

Day before weekly average up.

Day before that weekly average up.

Day before that weekly average up.

Perhaps his graph was upside down ?

9 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/17/wearing-masks-single-most-effective-way-to-tackle-covid-study-finds

Global study finds that mask wearing cuts covid incidence by 53%. 

Utter pish. The experts on here say that masks are useless, so I obviously believe them.

You are correct- the 53% figure is utter pish. 

A study found it to be 10%, its in the thread.

Edited by Michael W

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The study found it is 10%

John Burn Murdoch is not a scientist. He's a right wing journalist who twists statistics to suit his agenda. 

He's exactly the sort of fanatic that idiots like Elixit quote on here as confirmation bias. 

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

John Burn Murdoch is not a scientist. He's a right wing journalist who twists statistics to suit his agenda. 

He's exactly the sort of fanatic that idiots like Elixit quote on here as confirmation bias. 

What right wing bias shows through in his interpretation of statistics, out of interest?

13 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The study found it is 10%

Not sure where you got the 10% figure from. What I'm getting is that there isn't enough data yet, research has been concentrated in other areas.

Mask wearing and transmission of SARS-CoV-2, covid-19 incidence, and covid-19 mortality—The results of additional studies that assessed mask wearing (not included in the meta-analysis because of substantial differences in the assessed outcomes) indicate a reduction in covid-19 incidence, SARS-CoV-2 transmission, and covid-19 mortality. Specifically, a natural experiment across 200 countries showed 45.7% fewer covid-19 related mortality in countries where mask wearing was mandatory (table 1).49 Another natural experiment study in the US reported a 29% reduction in SARS-CoV-2 transmission (measured as the time varying reproductive number Rt) (risk ratio 0.71, 95% confidence interval 0.58 to 0.75) in states where mask wearing was mandatory.

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj-2021-068302

Edited by welshbairn

Guest Bob Mahelp
15 minutes ago, Michael W said:

What right wing bias shows through in his interpretation of statistics, out of interest?

I was about to edit my post to remove my remark on him being a right wing commentator.  

However, his interpretation of statistics is exactly that. An interpretation.  

As pointed out, he's picked one study and said with absolute certainty that mask wearing cuts covid infection by 'only' 10%, whereas the analysis of all studies showed a 53% drop (with admittedly an amount of confounding bias). 

Mask wearing and covid-19 incidence—Six studies with a total of 2627 people with covid-19 and 389 228 participants were included in the analysis examining the effect of mask wearing on incidence of covid-19 (table 1).364357606366 Overall pooled analysis showed a 53% reduction in covid-19 incidence (0.47, 0.29 to 0.75), although heterogeneity between studies was substantial (I2=84%) (fig 5). Risk of bias across the six studies ranged from moderate36576066 to serious or critical4363 (fig 2).

Edited by Bob Mahelp

37 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I don't think he's biased or right wing, but he picked one non verified study only available as a preprint for his 10% figure. Even if they were only 10% effective, that would make them worth wearing on a crowded train imo.

P.S. He's got a nice graphic showing why even vaccines that aren't 100%  effective are worthwhile.

E7Ehb4HXoAECPnS?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by welshbairn