Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

If only it was that clear. All I've seen is contrary half arsed studies that lead to nothing conclusive. I'd have thought it would be simple to stick two covid patients in a small room for a day and measure the amount of virus on the inside and outside of their masks.

What would this prove, though?

8 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Do you realise how stupid that sentence is?

I’ll ask again.

If ventilation was so important to pubic health, even pre-pandemic, even in mass-use public buildings, where was the public messaging and funding?  What were these alleged public health benefits?

Ventilation is important in dealing with covid, which is currently one of the primarily concerns for governments, who are therefore happy to invest in ventilation in a way that they haven't before. Now that they are funding ventilation projects, they may as well do so in a way which also addresses the other advantages of ensuring cleaner and fresher air in public buildings.

14 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

What would this prove, though?

The amount of the virus caught on the inside and outside of the mask. Not sure how you'd detect the amount of virus that would be transmitted without the masks in the same small room. but with enough generally healthy young volunteers I'm sure proper scientists could design a scheme.

Edited by welshbairn

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

All these self righteous arseholes like Pagel, Leitch, Devi etc all think they are special and anyone who criticises them is a ‘troll’ etc. Absolutely sickens me. You see signs on restaurants and shops they say ‘please do not enter if you have symptoms of covid 19’ they dont say ‘please enter if you’re a lovejoy scientist with self professed mild covid symptoms but it doesnt matter because you’re really special’. I just dont understand why these people think rules shouldnt apply to them. 

2 hours ago, Left Back said:

Where was the nationwide messaging telling us to open all the windows in the house when someone visited prior to the pandemic if good ventilation is that important to public health?

ETA Where was the funding as well?

Would you need funding to open a window if you had an elderly visitor? The advice has been there for a year at least.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Ventilation is important in dealing with covid, which is currently one of the primarily concerns for governments, who are therefore happy to invest in ventilation in a way that they haven't before. Now that they are funding ventilation projects, they may as well do so in a way which also addresses the other advantages of ensuring cleaner and fresher air in public buildings.

So you’ve still not provided the alleged public health benefit pre-covid.  Glad we cleared that up.  

What are these other advantages?   Is the air really so bad in public buildings that it needs to be cleaner and fresher?  What is causing this?  Is it people having a sneaky cigarette?

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Why on earth would I ever do that? 🤣

Welshy, I'm sure that in real life you're a decent person but I'm not about to start discussing fluid dynamics and thermodynamics with a muggle. Sorry mate but I'd rather be upfront with you. Pick your side, believe what you want and, as the French say, bon chance.

The French would not say that. They might say bonne chance. I hope this isn't an example of your scientific rigour.

9 minutes ago, Left Back said:

You do understand what pre-pandemic means I assume?

I think you'd agree that Covid19 has been a tad more dramatic than every respiratory infection since 1918/19.

Edited by welshbairn

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think you'd agree that Covid19 has been a tad more dramatic than every respiratory infection since 1918/19? 

So you’re another one that agrees that ventilation was not an issue pre-pandemic.

Now if either of you could say how installing a few vents in a pub or nightclub (or any other building you care to choose) is preventing transmission of Covid that would be handy, and was indeed the original question asked before your respective interventions.  

Surely you need to be either filtering or actively replacing the air in a building to “ventilate” to any meaningful degree.

4 hours ago, virginton said:

You didn't actually answer the question. What is the benchmark for a 'reasonable' number of deaths and intensive care hospitalisations for a respiratory virus, during the peak months for all respiratory viruses? 'Zero' is not a valid answer. 

The government have had almost two years to do something about this. Increase capacity. Employ more staff. Maybe they have. Not sure. Protection of the most vulnerable with vaccination and a booster is the best place we can ever get to. What is the point of anything else 🤷

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Why would staying at home keep me safe?

If you don't interact with real people you will greatly reduce your chances of contacting Covid.

Alternately, society will be grateful that you never showed your self in public.

So you’ve still not provided the alleged public health benefit pre-covid.  Glad we cleared that up.  

What are these other advantages?   Is the air really so bad in public buildings that it needs to be cleaner and fresher?  What is causing this?  Is it people having a sneaky cigarette?

It's crazy to think that there haven't been any reviews into the quality of indoor air in public buildings or recommendations made before, absolutely staggering.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

I do this because I struggle to start conversations or simply communicate on my own and its getting worse.

I'm very isolated just now, not where I wanted to be at the start of the year.

I'll stop.

I’m sorry to hear that mate.  Don’t stop 

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

I do this because I struggle to start conversations or simply communicate on my own and its getting worse.

I'll stop.

That sounds like a pretty unfun place to be mate. Hope things get better. 

Post away. 

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

I'll stop.

Social media can be a pain in the whatsit, but it does give folk a way of contacting others in troubled times, even if some of the "others" you might come across are a bit odd.  

Crack on! 

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

I'll stop.

Apologies for that. Keep posting.