Coronavirus (COVID-19)

51 minutes ago, Elixir said:

No, we are in a far better position because of much higher levels of immunity in our population, you simpleton. This, of course, built up over the past four months while Europe continued with pointless NPI's. Just because 'it's winter' does not automatically mean there is going to be an increase in disease burden. Winter does typically see an increase in respiratory infections, but because of the dynamic of when we had our exit wave, we already have considerable immunity from natural infection bedded in - combined with high levels of vaccination (with our superior dosing schedule) and the ongoing booster rollout. Continental Europe does not have such high levels of immunity and are experiencing their exit wave now. Chris Whitty and others discussed this very scenario months ago.

Unlucky.

Yes, the high levels of immunity some half-wits have been talking about for months, that's not stopped the UK being labelled plague island because of our continued high levels of cases since the summer and that are continuing right now. One of these days, it might come true. I fucking hope so anyway. 

Unlucky? At least I'm not the guy who thinks we're in a better position than the rest of Europe despite having double the number of deaths in the past few months, and despite only a handful of countries in Western Europe having higher case numbers than we do currently. Germany aren't even as high as the UK yet, but while they view it as an emergency, we've got people like you who apparently think, we're doing fine. 

42 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Because there doesn't need to be some made up benchmark figure just to satisfy you. 

If there isn't a benchmark figure then how do you know that the current rates are 'too high'? To what realistic and acceptable number of hospitalisations and deaths is the comparison point for this? How would we reach this benchmark? 

These are all very straightforward questions that should be at the centre of any public health intervention. 

If you can't accept that hospitals in the UK are under pressure right now and have been for months with the military being asked to help out, surgeries being cancelled, sky high admission waits, hospitals asking people to only attend if its life threatening etc, and instead ask for a figure to pulled from thin air, and for peak months for respiratory viruses when all of the stuff has been happening and we're not even in that period yet.

I'm sure that there was supposed to be a point to this utterly rambling string of non-sequiturs. Perhaps you should try again. 

You think that's a reasonable question. You're off your head.

It is absolutely reasonable to establish what the benchmark for acceptable levels of an endemic disease is. In the same way that we have a benchmark for flu to establish what counts as a 'good' year and what is a 'bad' year in terms of outcomes. 

That's how a rational approach to managing public health works champ. As opposed to weepy nonsense about one of many, many illnesses which only leads to a massive squandering of resources and undesirable knock-on effects down the line. 

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

We're going to have to have a pretty extensive junk clearing exercise when all this is over.

We won't, though. Their pish will be dismissed and forgotten under the umbrella of "it was novel, so we just couldn't know..." and their mewlings will be taken as gospel for whatever the next topic is.

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

No thanks.

For the same reason I won't practice witchcraft or employ a tarot card reader.

If someone in a room who is infected sneezes, masked or otherwise, everyone is getting a dose.

It's just as simple as that I'm afraid.

You're 100% sure it makes zero difference if you and the sneezer were wearing masks, on opposite sides of the room, and with the windows open?

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

No thanks.

If someone in a room who is infected sneezes, masked or otherwise, everyone is getting a dose.

Not a surprise given you won’t even wash your hands when you’re asked to.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

The advantages of good ventilation aren't limited to covid prevention.

Where was the nationwide messaging telling us to open all the windows in the house when someone visited prior to the pandemic if good ventilation is that important to public health?

ETA Where was the funding as well?

Edited by Left Back

20 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

No thanks.

Do us all a favour and stay in the house.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Welshy, I'm sure that in real life you're a decent person but I'm not about to start discussing fluid dynamics and thermodynamics with a muggle. Sorry mate but I'd rather be upfront with you. Pick your side, believe what you want and, as the French say, bon chance.

As a gesture of mutual respect I'll take that as a no, given that you must be aware that any reduction of viral load will reduce the risk of infection, which ventilation and face coverings will do to a more than zero amount. There is cloth between the big holes. As I've said from the beginning, it's not whether masks work or not, it's whether they work enough to make them worth the hassle. Absolutes are rarely useful with Covid. 

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

As a gesture of mutual respect I'll take that as a no, given that you must be aware that any reduction of viral load will reduce the risk of infection, which ventilation and face coverings will do to a more than zero amount. There is cloth between the big holes. As I've said from the beginning, it's not whether masks work or not, it's whether they work enough to make them worth the hassle. Absolutes are rarely useful with Covid. 

And the real world data suggests, overwhelmingly, that the answer to that is "no"

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

And the real world data suggests, overwhelmingly, that the answer to that is "no"

If only it was that clear. All I've seen is contrary half arsed studies that lead to nothing conclusive. I'd have thought it would be simple to stick two covid patients in a small room for a day and measure the amount of virus on the inside and outside of their masks.

2 hours ago, s_dog said:

Because there doesn't need to be some made up benchmark figure just to satisfy you. 

If you can't accept that hospitals in the UK are under pressure right now and have been for months with the military being asked to help out, surgeries being cancelled, sky high admission waits, hospitals asking people to only attend if its life threatening etc, and instead ask for a figure to pulled from thin air, and for peak months for respiratory viruses when all of the stuff has been happening and we're not even in that period yet. You think that's a reasonable question. You're off your head.

Err, this is the debt of us shutting up society on and off for the best part of two years. It simply has to be sucked up and dealt with, otherwise it will never be gotten on top of and would only continue to escalate. In any case, the NHS has been at 'breaking point' every winter for the past 20+ years.

1 hour ago, s_dog said:

Yes, the high levels of immunity some half-wits have been talking about for months, that's not stopped the UK being labelled plague island because of our continued high levels of cases since the summer and that are continuing right now. One of these days, it might come true. I fucking hope so anyway. 

Unlucky? At least I'm not the guy who thinks we're in a better position than the rest of Europe despite having double the number of deaths in the past few months, and despite only a handful of countries in Western Europe having higher case numbers than we do currently. Germany aren't even as high as the UK yet, but while they view it as an emergency, we've got people like you who apparently think, we're doing fine. 

Thanks for playing anyway:

Another leading scientist said on Sunday that he believes it is "unlikely" the UK will see the sharp rise in coronavirus cases in the coming months that has been recorded in parts of Europe.

Professor Sir Andrew Pollard, director of the Oxford Vaccine Group, told BBC's Andrew Marr Show: "We've actually had some spread (of the virus) going on since the summer, and so I think it's unlikely that we're going to see the very sharp rise in the next few months that's just been seen. We're already ahead of that with this particular virus, the Delta variant."

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Where was the nationwide messaging telling us to open all the windows in the house when someone visited prior to the pandemic if good ventilation is that important to public health?

ETA Where was the funding as well?

It's almost as though mass-use public buildings and workplaces are different from houses.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's almost as though mass-use public buildings and workplaces are different from houses.

Do you realise how stupid that sentence is?

I’ll ask again.

If ventilation was so important to pubic health, even pre-pandemic, even in mass-use public buildings, where was the public messaging and funding?  What were these alleged public health benefits?