Coronavirus (COVID-19)

SCOTTISH football is braced for more Covid chaos — with clubs facing strict Omicron travel rules.

SunSport can reveal SPFL clubs have been told ONE case of the variant on a team bus will see every passenger face a ten-day isolation.

Clubs now run the risk of squads being decimated during the festive period, with the Joint Response Group urging them to “assess” travel plans.

That move came as First Minister Nicola Sturgeon refused to rule out cutting attendances just weeks before the January 2 derby between Celtic and Rangers at Parkhead.

Senior Scottish football figures are watching Omicron developments closely, amid fears that crowd sizes could be reduced dramatically.

Top-flight clubs planning winter breaks next month have also been given fresh guidelines.

As with buses, a single Omicron case on a plane will lead to the entire passenger list being placed in self-isolation for ten days.

And any unvaccinated players returning from foreign trips next month will effectively face ten days at home — only being allowed out to train and play.

On top of this, the JRG have urged any clubs going abroad to ensure players spend limited time — if any — outside their team bubble.

The strict Scottish Government travel rules will immediately impact clubs from all four divisions, with senior figures last night weighing up how to handle them.

Several top-flight Scottish clubs have taken multiple buses to games this season to minimise close contacts.

But even that now carries extra risk, with the Government making no allowances in the bid to stop Omicron.

Lower league teams could scrap team buses and encourage players to travel individually, but that is more unrealistic at a higher level.

Sturgeon was yesterday quizzed on the nightmare prospect of Scottish football stadia being closed, or reduced attendances being brought in again.

But she refused to give guarantees either way as the Government weigh up possible new restrictions at a Cabinet meeting on Tuesday morning.

Sturgeon said: “I’m not going to tell you what Cabinet might consider on Tuesday because I don’t know yet.

“This will depend on the continuing analysis of the data.

“There’s a doubling time of two days. Tuesday is a long time away and we’ll be monitoring the data every day between now and then.”

Meanwhile, Airdrie’s scheduled League One clash with Queen’s Park has been called off as a result of Covid.

The Diamonds informed the league they didn’t have enough players due to several positive cases and close contacts.

An SPFL spokesman said: “After reviewing the information provided by Airdrieonians, Saturday’s match between Airdrieonians and Queen’s Park has been postponed.

“A new date for the fixture will be announced in due course.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/8137146/scottish-football-covid-travel-chaos-omicron-bus-entire-team/

Decision to any restrictions coming back will be on Tuesday it seems. 

Oh how I long for those distant days of the past when Nicola was urging us to take complete strangers from all over the place into our homes and give them digs for the duration of Cop26.

A little over a month later and she us urging us all to live like hermits again. She can f**k right off with that.

5 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

"From 11 December 2021, if you’re identified as a household contact of a positive COVID-19 case, you will be advised to self-isolate for 10 days irrespective of vaccination status, PCR test result and age".

https://www.gov.scot/coronavirus-covid-19/

👍 Cheers. Just a bit of a drunken cynical rant. Ach,  politicians get paid regardless, but to effectively destroy other people's livelihoods by enouraging cancellation of parties at the busiest time of year is disgraceful. I assume there was no mention of schools where 25% of cases are. You,'ll probably find the lockdown lovers tend to be able to work from home, happy that the roads are quiet, not that bothered about wearing a mask for 20 minutes in Asda, love a Teams meeting, play golf. Do all these things selflessly to protect others 🤞

5 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Apologise? She should resign.

Even the threat of restrictions at this point is a catastrophic failure. To actively shaft businesses is unforgiveable.

It's been almost Thatcheresque, although I get the sneaking suspicion that, unlike Thatcher, Sturgeon hadn't considered the impact of what would happen. 

6 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

You've no idea what I've lost / not lost as a result of the response to Covid. So kindly f**k off.

:lol:

What a fucking state. One day you'll remember this is predominantly a football forum and stop acting like OFTW.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Sturgeon obviously realises she is under some pressure so wants to get back to scapegoating footballers.

It's much easier to answer questions about fitba than explain why the NHS is a shambles and excess deaths are at record levels.....

Remember the halcyon days where our FM would make some footballers going to a pub the main subject of her then daily news conference? 

The main takeaway from that report is that two doses of Asta Zeneca doesn’t offer protection against infection with Omicron. There isn’t data about the impact on severe infection, hospitalisation and death as it’s early days yet. I think the assumption is that  two doses of AZ will offer some protection against these things, possibly reduced.

Clearly escalating the booster rollout is extremely important. I’m currently trying to get my wife a walk in booster, its not very clear anywhere that they are available.

The main takeaway from that report is that two doses of Asta Zeneca doesn’t offer protection against infection with Omicron. There isn’t data about the impact on severe infection, hospitalisation and death as it’s early days yet. I think the assumption is that  two doses of AZ will offer some protection against these things, possibly reduced.
Clearly escalating the booster rollout is extremely important. I’m currently trying to get my wife a walk in booster, its not very clear anywhere that they are available.
Given that AZ got binned for under 40s, and near 3 million boosters have been doled out, you would have to imagine almost everyone who got AZ has had a booster, and certainly everyone in the original age/vulnerability risk groups.

Remember when Delta panic calmed down to "the vaccines work but that second one is absolutely crucial".... It seems we are heading that way again, but it being all about getting everyone (bizzarely) the third jag.

How will the need for the 4th be amplified I wonder.....

Detournement?

Given that AZ got binned for under 40s, and near 3 million boosters have been doled out, you would have to imagine almost everyone who got AZ has had a booster, and certainly everyone in the original age/vulnerability risk groups.

Remember when Delta panic calmed down to "the vaccines work but that second one is absolutely crucial".... It seems we are heading that way again, but it being all about getting everyone (bizzarely) the third jag.

How will the need for the 4th be amplified I wonder.....

Detournement?
Exactly, where does it end. That's 3 now so with each new strain does it become 4, 5, 6.....We can't go on like that as eventually (pretty close now) people start to think that actually these vaccines don't really work anymore if it takes umpteen doses to provide a protection level below what we were told 1 / 2 dose(s) provided against the original strain. It seems to me they need to amend the actual vaccines now rather than saying you need multiple doses of the originals. People will quickly lose faith in them if we need multiple doses and STILL have restrictions on top. The whole vaccine program is being totally undermined.

I think we’re quite close to the point where people will say ‘To hell with all this, let’s start living a normal life again’

If the NHS can’t cope then we’ll just need to pack folk in to the corridors and administer drugs as best as possible. 
It’s not going to be pretty but the fittest will survive and life will carry on. Maybe it’s time for the population to be thinned out.

Just a few thoughts from an old timer!

13 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I think we’re quite close to the point where people will say ‘To hell with all this, let’s start living a normal life again’

If the NHS can’t cope then we’ll just need to pack folk in to the corridors and administer drugs as best as possible. 
It’s not going to be pretty but the fittest will survive and life will carry on. Maybe it’s time for the population to be thinned out.

If this was actually an option we could’ve saved ourselves a whole lot of trouble over the past two years…

22 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Exactly, where does it end. That's 3 now so with each new strain does it become 4, 5, 6.....We can't go on like that as eventually (pretty close now) people start to think that actually these vaccines don't really work anymore if it takes umpteen doses to provide a protection level below what we were told 1 / 2 dose(s) provided against the original strain. It seems to me they need to amend the actual vaccines now rather than saying you need multiple doses of the originals. People will quickly lose faith in them if we need multiple doses and STILL have restrictions on top. The whole vaccine program is being totally undermined.

We can easily go on with multiple doses as long as they bin all restrictions, it’s what they do for flu. Albeit only for certain groups of people. 

If they binned every single restrictions and said you need a booster every 6 or 12 months I’d grab that with both hands. I agree they are undermining the vaccine program by continuing to impose on everyone’s life whilst claiming they are the end game of this. 

23 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

^^^ Bill Gates.

In all seriousness, it's looking likely the model going forward will be new variants requiring booster jabs every year/6months/15 minutes. This is fine if it was like the flu where old and vulnerable people had the option of taking the regular booster. But if we continue down the route of absolutely everyone being de facto forced into taking it under threat of restrictions to travel and access to day-to-day services, then I for one will be out with a pitchfork and hope the remainder of society who haven't completely lost their marbles over this will join me.

Edited by Zetterlund

9 hours ago, H Wragg said:

"From 11 December 2021, if you’re identified as a household contact of a positive COVID-19 case, you will be advised to self-isolate for 10 days irrespective of vaccination status, PCR test result and age".

https://www.gov.scot/coronavirus-covid-19/

….and, if my reading of the overall mood on P&B, my family, most of my friends, neighbours, and random folk I happen to talk to in places like supermarket check outs etc is anything to go by…. We are now ‘advising’ the politicians to go fcuk themselves, and to take their rules and shove them sideways up their arse. 

I paraphrase, but genuinely, that’s the sentiment I have expressed to me from so many people now. People who obeyed the rules, but now, in December 2021, are double and triple jabbed, fed-up, and completely distrusting of those in Holyrood and Westminster who do not know how to do anything but impose, or threaten to impose, more restrictions on us.

Edited by pozbaird

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

:lol:

What a fucking state. One day you'll remember this is predominantly a football forum and stop acting like OFTW.

Your posts were better when they were just championing jobber goalkeepers as being better than Buffon.

Actually no scratch that, they were fucking shite as well.