Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Yes, it drove vaccination into unvaccinated groups who would have been largely okay with natural infection. That's what they were for.

Did it, though? Vaccination already had sky high uptake here, including ~99% in the most vulnerable. It was highlighted at the time that perhaps, at most, 1% were persuaded because of it. What it done to uptake in a place like France is completely different.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

I know a couple of people who have the so-called long covid

What it means in practice is that some people feel a bit tired for a few weeks after testing positive or take a couple of months to get their taste and smell back.

Absolute nonsense to suggest that this justifies restrictions on the population. 

1 hour ago, Forever_blueco said:

It’s post viral fatigue . It can happen if you get a bad dose of the flu that floors you . I am not comparing it to the flu , just saying that the reality of some folk taking longer to recover from viral infections has been around as long as viral infections . 

As I've said before, I got chickenpox when I was 22 and I was fcked for a year with it. Could barely manage to walk up the stairs or have a bath without needing to nap afterwards. This post viral fatigue is nothing new and we shouldn't restrict our lives because LoNg CoViD!!!

31 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I can only assume there’s large parts of this thread you’ve previously ignored!

ETA the overwhelming majority in ICU at present are unvaccinated despite making up a small minority of the population.

24 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I think we'll need to see the data on this given vaccine coverage in 'at risk' groups is practically universal.

The available data doesn't backup up that claim that has been made anecdotally a few times.

https://fullfact.org/health/unvaccinated-icu-channel4-icnarc/

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

As a matter of interest, would the posters on here who want to bin most/all of the restrictions be in favour of strict enforcement of the vaccine passport in a number of venues/settings?

Fancy answering the question I asked you earlier on?

Here it is again:

If the Tories were in charge up here and imposing these EXACT restrictions, exact measures and providing similarly shifting goalposts and timeframes for relaxations via an unelected mouthpiece with the SNP as opposition, would you be as happy as you currently are with the approach they are taking and praising them over the SNP?

Edited by djchapsticks

12 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

As I've said before, I got chickenpox when I was 22 and I was fcked for a year with it. Could barely manage to walk up the stairs or have a bath without needing to nap afterwards. This post viral fatigue is nothing new and we shouldn't restrict our lives because LoNg CoViD!!!

Yeah, its the false choices presented all along that f**k me off. Is long covid a thing? Yeah, probably, though likely in no way unique. Should sufferers get help and care as neccessary? Well yes of course. 

But why the f**k are we suddenly presented with the utterly bullshit logic that long covid should be a contributory factor in not being allowed to drink a pint standing up. Get the obsession wtih deploying restrictions in the fucking bin already.

There is only one patient requiring intensive care treatment for Omicron in all of Scotland.

The SG need to get these restrictions binned it's getting farcical now. I genuinely cannot believe that statistic, what more data does Sturgeon need. 

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

There is only one patient requiring intensive care treatment for Omicron in all of Scotland.

The SG need to get these restrictions binned it's getting farcical now. I genuinely cannot believe that statistic, what more data does Sturgeon need. 

The three week review of restrictions should involve an independent body and the SG having to justify restrictions with data. 

There is just not enough scrutiny and challenge. Without it, they’ll be able to just be ‘cautious’ forever or until there’s an election. 

Nice to see MSM opinion begin to turn. The Sun (yes I know) were running a front page today. A prof Woodhouse was saying "Therr is still no good cause for a full lockdown. Lockdowns signify a failure of public health policy". he also went on to say it's a "lazy solution to a novel coronavirus epidemic and hugely damaging" . Nice to see health experts like this speak sensibly rather than moonhowler like Devi, JL, Bauld, Ferguson etc

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Nice to see MSM opinion begin to turn. The Sun (yes I know) were running a front page today. A prof Woodhouse was saying "Therr is still no good cause for a full lockdown. Lockdowns signify a failure of public health policy". he also went on to say it's a "lazy solution to a novel coronavirus epidemic and hugely damaging" . Nice to see health experts like this speak sensibly rather than moonhowler like Devi, JL, Bauld, Ferguson etc

He also advises the Scottish government and sits on the same board as Devi. Maybe it's a fairly balanced group rather than the loudest folk on twitter.

10 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

How Professor 'Pants down' or 'Lock down' (whichever one you prefer) still gets air time is beyond me. He is the very epitome of the prophet of doom. I don't think one of his models have been correct yet. 

Edited by Trogdor

6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

How Professor 'Pants down' or 'Lock down' (whichever one you prefer) still gets air time is beyond me. He is the very epitome of the prophet of doom. I don't think one of his models have been correct yet. 

Ferguson I take it? 😂 him and that Pennington (so?) guy have had nightmares with their predictions so far!

Although to be fair to Hugh, he has been more rational in recent months

Edited by Thereisalight..

My step dad has covid - he got a positive result this morning from his PCR test. The care home said at that time that he didn't seem to be showing any symptons and appeared to be okay.

Roll on 3 hours and Mum received a call to say he is poorly and is on oxygen. They are waiting for a doctor to arrive to see if he needs to be hospitalised.

The care centre closed for visitors from Friday because of initial cases so she hasn't seen him since last Wednesday. Just trying to think positively - he had pneumonia and sepsis at the start of November so hasn't been in great health - just moved into the care home at the start of December.

Good news for Sturgeon and another reason to be 'cautious' - A variant with FORTY SIX mutations has been discovered in the south of France.

Best continue to close football stadiums etc. Just to be safe ay.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/new-variant-france-46-mutations-22634183.amp

Edited by Steven W

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

So vaccines are ineffective?

They are certainly not currently sufficient according to Professor Leitch and Miss Sturgeon. Even those, like us who have had two jabs plus a booster plus an annual flu jab are being urged to ta take very frequent tests - hardly a sign of confidence in the science advice. .With regard to the present staff shortages  attributed to Covid in the NHS and other key sectors, it would be helpful to know what percentage actually have the virus.

54 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

While this is undoubtedly true, it remains equally true that a full lockdown would be preferable to the halfway house that is literally destroying people’s livelihoods under current Holyrood policy.   Comparisons with England show that Scottish measures have really had negligible effect on transmission, yet crippled pubs, hotels, clubs and cafes financially.  There’s no ideological justification for Sturgeon’s stance.  

9 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

They are certainly not currently sufficient according to Professor Leitch and Miss Sturgeon. Even those, like us who have had two jabs plus a booster plus an annual flu jab are being urged to ta take very frequent tests - hardly a sign of confidence in the science advice. .With regard to the present staff shortages  attributed to Covid in the NHS and other key sectors, it would be helpful to know what percentage actually have the virus.

Almost everyone I know who has the virus currently is either two or jabbed, or two plus a booster.    That’s certainly the case I’m in.  I don’t feel particularly grateful for our government, though.  

The thing to remember about this all is that if it wasn't for internal Tory politics and Boris being a clown the whole of Europe would have blanket restrictions which we would be told were staving off huge numbers of deaths.

We are in the strange situation of the darts lads at Ally Pally saving society by showing Omicron is a load of pish one chant at a time.

Care centre just phoned - step-dad has stabilised not any better but not any worse. Doctor has asked for his bloods to be tested before they make a decision about hospital. They are hoping to find out tonight but it might be middle of night before results come through. If he is hospitalised my Mum has been told that she will not get into see him.