Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I could be wrong, but I'm sure the advice was always that if you had symptoms you should go and get a PCR test. LFTs were about catching asymptomatic cases.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Aye.

No, I know how they used them, but that's not necessarily how they were originally intended to be used, or are most accurate

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-07-14-lateral-flow-tests-are-95-effective-detecting-covid-19-when-used-onset-symptoms

They weren't designed for mass testing people who have no symptoms.

travel restrictions being relaxed.

https://news.sky.com/story/travel-industry-says-scrapping-testing-would-have-no-real-impact-on-omicron-spread-12509310

Article says UK but I was watching Johnsons statement and he said England which I assume is accurate as he doesn't set the rules up here.

Did we introduce additional travel restrictions when this Omicron stuff kicked off?  Can't remember.

Edited by Left Back

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

Those admission figures give a very strong impression that Covid is being used as a transition to greatly reduced NHS services. 

Looking at them it's no wonder the nurses had as much time to do TikTok dances in Spring 2020

5 minutes ago, Donathan said:

What did he say? 

Westminster is too easy going and is out of touch with the correct and cautious approach being shown by all the devolved governments 

then a few digs about parties and people in England having to make their own way to hospital if they are having a heart attack . Like our ambulance wait times up here are much better. 

Edited by Forever_blueco

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Saying no for a regular Australian would get that person a 10 day stay at their own expense at one of the country's newly built holiday camps, with the possibility of staying longer if they continue to say no.

One rule for an elite and sod everyone else.

You need social solidarity and mass action. A long time ago we were talking about the poll tax riots on the thread as the sort of thing which could end this but nothing like this is possible now. 

We are in the bizarre situation of consumerism ending it here in the UK. You can listen to Sturgeon and Sage or you can go to the pub with friends, go to the darts or football in England. Politicians can't spread fear when people are out demonstrating their is nothing to be scared of. 

59 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

No, I know how they used them, but that's not necessarily how they were originally intended to be used, or are most accurate

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-07-14-lateral-flow-tests-are-95-effective-detecting-covid-19-when-used-onset-symptoms

They weren't designed for mass testing people who have no symptoms.

Actually albeit by complete luck LFTs are much more accurate in detecting Omicron than Delta.

Another thing is Omicron with its nasty ability to spread faster than someone with it not noticing until they have tested positive should be ripping through the care homes by now, even with the strongest measures taken in prevention there should be at least two or three homes in trouble by now. I've not seen anything on any news feeds on this apart from a shortage of staff due to having to isolate having tested positive of course. Usually we would be told if there was a large number of positive cases, but silence.
Read this which is encouraging - https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/19825327.glasgow-care-home-boss-says-nonsense-ban-visiting/
Unless the it hasn't happened yet which I seriously doubt, it should show how much of a threat so far Omicron is to our most vulnerable. I really hope I'm right here.
Has this been brought up yet by our FM?

A care home I know of had over 80 staff and residents test positive on PCR. Not one was showing symptoms.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Won't lie. I'm still seething at that. 🤣

It was right up there with the "this is what a hero looks like" photo trend. Aaaaaarrrrrggghhhh!

The weekly pots and pans fest descending into fireworks , improvised dancing and whatever else in between was one of the most bizzare episodes in the country