Coronavirus (COVID-19)

15 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

Masks are great for pretending you don't recognise someone in the supermarket and avoiding small talk 

Being forced to talk to people you do not want to is awful.  If you have no other option just best to say “I don’t want to talk to you”, in fairness you probably will not to do it gain with the same person.

My missus agrees.

9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I feel that now Covid is pretty much over it's OK to share these strange stories.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/mar/20/ask-philppa-perry-i-cant-face-working-back-in-the-office-they-are-all-so-horrible

I wonder if she feels the same levels of fear and disgust when going shopping or to the cinema or meeting friends? 

Whilst I've had my moments during the past two years mainly around ridiculous restictions I have managed to remain relatively nonplussed about the virus and whatever risks it may or may not have posed me. 

However many Governments including our own have spent two years focusing on deaths and ventilators and not upending the NHS and I can see how for some people it will be difficult to move on from that state of mind. 

Having spent all that time and money creating such a environment of fear is in not incumbent on them to now overtly play down the virus and promote how little risk it actually poses and reassure people like the woman in the article that they actually have no more to worry about than crossing the road. 

I'm extremely wary still - but purely for the selfish reason that I've got a holiday to Jamaica in 12 days time - if I or my wife test positive at any time 10 days beforehand then we can't board the flight. Will be taking our preflight Covid test as soon as the 72 hour mark is reached a week on Wednesday.

Fingers and everything else well and truly crossed.

What F****** chance do we have?

Mate and his wife went to Glasgow yesterday, both have had covid. As the streets were busy she did not fell particularly safe so they both put their masks on.  Paper masks in an open fresh air area!! Words fail me.

1 hour ago, Hard Graft said:

What F****** chance do we have?

Mate and his wife went to Glasgow yesterday, both have had covid. As the streets were busy she did not fell particularly safe so they both put their masks on.  Paper masks in an open fresh air area!! Words fail me.

If it makes someone feel more secure what's the problem, it doesn't affect anyone else.

1 hour ago, bennett said:

If it makes someone feel more secure what's the problem, it doesn't affect anyone else.

This is true to a point.

People can wear masks wherever they want, so long as they don't start begging for mask mandates to be retained / re-introduced after April 4th.

One of the main reasons we are stuck with them for an extra two weeks, remember, is that NS thinks it is important that these people continue to feel safe.

5 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

One of the main reasons we are stuck with them for an extra two weeks, remember, is that NS thinks it is important that these people continue to feel safe.

Don’t forget the public health experts who think masks are necessary to remind us that “COVID hasn’t gone”.

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Again it's worth pointing out that we elect politicians to protect the country from idiots like that woman who runs NHS Grampians or wherever she is based.

Sturgeon is the problem.

There will be people who have worked in the nhs for 20/30 years who have seen some terrible things and probably hold long standing beliefs that the health service would benefit from people behaving better/differently/more safely/however you want to dress it up. 

It’s therefore not that surprising that in this period where precedent has been set where people are legislating for better public behaviour in the name of public health, that these people would want to take advantage. 

As you say, a first minister needs to say ‘aye, I get it, but that’s not my job and that’s not how we run society’. 

Tested positive this morning for the first time. Came home from work on Friday night and felt like I started to have cold symptoms, so just dismissed it as that, All tested negative until this morning. What’s the latest isolating? The email guide I got says 10 days from the positive test but surely that’s outdated?

59 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Tested positive this morning for the first time. Came home from work on Friday night and felt like I started to have cold symptoms, so just dismissed it as that, All tested negative until this morning. What’s the latest isolating? The email guide I got says 10 days from the positive test but surely that’s outdated?

Think it is of you test negative 2 days in a row from day 6 onwards you are free.

1 hour ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

It is outdated. Negative lft on 6and 7 and you're free.

This meant my youngest was dispatched to school this morning! I'd have had a party but she's given me COVID and my lungs hurt too much!

Survey results: Press and Journal readers on face coverings

The food and drink team published a two-question survey on last Monday, March 14, in anticipation that all Covid legal restrictions would be lifted in Scotland from today.

Both questions were focused on the topic of wearing face coverings in hospitality venues, aimed at customers and members of staff.

A total of 735 people participated in the Press and Journal survey, with 81% saying they will not wear a face covering in pubs and restaurants when this rule is eventually lifted. 19% said they will.

As for the second question, “do you think hospitality workers should still wear a face mask?”, the outcome matched as 81% answered ‘no’ and 19% answered ‘yes’.

1 minute ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

dum dum dum 

Germany drops nearly all Covid restrictions (msn.com)

another one bites the dust

Just about 

“We can’t continue to shield the whole country to protect a small group of those unwilling to be vaccinated,” he said.

Mask-wearing is no longer required in shops, restaurants and schools, but will remain on public transport and in medical settings for the time being.

18 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Now that Spring is almost here, it'll be interesting to see if we get a few months of relative calm now which will allow covid to disappear as a discussion topic.

I hope so. I am very glad that this is no longer the main news item (though would prefer what replaced it to be something other than an invasion of a peaceful, democratic nation). The daily theatre of cases/hospitalisations/deaths had to end. And for those still interested, you can access the figures. It just isn't "And today's top story, xxxxx cases were reported in Scotland today..." which can only be good. 

Getting people back to some sense of balance will be tricky. Even the thorny issue of masks has people on both sides. 

37 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Well that won't be me.

Once the mandate has gone I'll be happy to leave people alone to make their own choice. Not that I'm in people's faces now though.

Just counting down the days until the SG afford me the same respect.

I think there may well be a bit of gyp coming the other way. We've had a few incidents reported here of people demanding that others mask up. I don't think that will stop when restrictions end; some people (a minority) will still be telling people round about them to wear a mask.

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I think there may well be a bit of gyp coming the other way. We've had a few incidents reported here of people demanding that others mask up. I don't think that will stop when restrictions end; some people (a minority) will still be telling people round about them to wear a mask.

We've just been at St Andrews for the weekend and agreed not to wear masks but had them with us in the event that staff anywhere asked us to put them on. 

Never got asked once and despite being on alert for it never really picked any vibes of any dissenting voices. In the Brewing Company on Friday and again last night and I'd say it was 50/50. In the shops and around town in general I'd guess it was closer to 80/20 wearing them.

I have no gripes if someone wants to wear a mask for their own reassurance but as someone said on here recently you can blow up a ballon wearing a blue mask. 

34 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

never once had any bother, looks or remarks from anyone, I'm not particularly hard looking or unapproachable either