Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The Uk already seems to be giving up, despite the fact that it's clear we will be absolutely ****** if we let it spread unchecked. I think the reality is we simply don't have the ability, never mind the will, to do what China, Singapore and South Korea are doing.
We dont have the same resources and infrastructure as them. Despite what the government tells you the nhs is on its knees.

The Uk already seems to be giving up, despite the fact that it's clear we will be absolutely ****** if we let it spread unchecked. I think the reality is we simply don't have the ability, never mind the will, to do what China, Singapore and South Korea are doing.

How will we be ******? It only kills old people or those with health problems.

My biggest worry is the government stopping fitba/travel

49 minutes ago, Donathan said:

There are already shortages of fairly vital stuff (toilet rolls, soap) despite about four people in the country having it. Imagine what's going to happen to food supplies and stocks when more and more folk get it.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

The disease hospitalizes about 20% of those who contract it. The chief medical officer of England stated their modelling showed that about 50% of cases will occur over a three week period. Its not as transmittable as the flu but much more so than other diseases of its nature. Depending on how well we prepare if there are about 10 000 cases over that peak period you will need to find about 2000 hospital beds and the resources for about 300 extra dead. Each case will need people interviewing them and trying to trace anyone who could have also contracted it to place them in preventative quarantine. This may place a significant part of the general population in quarantine for a few weeks. 

If we screw up and it peaks closer to 1 000 000 cases then we will need the staff for about 200 000 hospitalizations, 30 000 dead and it may require cities going into lock down. 

If it gets a foothold in the UK then as it comes to a peak most health services will have to be scaled back as well as policing and other public services to create the manpower to minimize its impact. 

If it does not become endemic we will likely keep finding new cases from travel over the coming year until a vaccine is created. 

This will hit the global economy for the next few months to year irrespective of what happens in the UK. It may see travel to many countries suspended until a vaccine is created. 

43 minutes ago, Gaz said:

There are already shortages of fairly vital stuff (toilet rolls, soap) despite about four people in the country having it. Imagine what's going to happen to food supplies and stocks when more and more folk get it.

All those people who panic bought bogroll, will  not be buying anymore for quite some time. Other sanitzers and other things people will buy to combat the disease, it will likely have a limited impact on supply over the coming months. Where supplies would be genuinely constrained is if we have a real big outbreak and manufacturing and importing slows. 

Edited by dorlomin

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

How will we be ******? It only  mainly kills old people or those with health problems.

Sounds a bit shit though. "Lungs like crumpled paper bags full of broken twigs."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8075633/First-British-victim-25-describes-coronavirus.html

16 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm not a violent person but there is a fire burning inside of me, for which the flames get higher every time I hear about people panicking/buying shit they won't need. I absolutely hate people, we are the worst things on this earth.

Reminds me of the massive snow-storm we had a couple of years ago when everyone was panic-buying milk and bread. 

On the local community FB group, someone called out the person who was seen buying 20 loaves and pints of milk in the local supermarket, leaving nothing left for the elderly. This person then responded to say that they were buying the bread and milk FOR the local elderly people because other people were panic buying. 

Not quite sure who came out of that on a winner tbh.

14 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

TL:DR

D. Trump

Red dotted for quoting that massive post. I was red dotted for the same crime in the past and I learned my lesson so I hope you learn yours. 

Thank you. 

3 hours ago, Donathan said:

It 'only' kills the elderly and already sick in a resourced system. If you don't have enough equipment and medicine it will kill more. China put 40,000 medical personnel into Hubei. Who exactly would bail the UK out?

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Reminds me of the massive snow-storm we had a couple of years ago when everyone was panic-buying milk and bread. 

On the local community FB group, someone called out the person who was seen buying 20 loaves and pints of milk in the local supermarket, leaving nothing left for the elderly. This person then responded to say that they were buying the bread and milk FOR the local elderly people because other people were panic buying. 

Not quite sure who came out of that on a winner tbh.

Our local Tesco shuts for Christmas day and every year it's the same, the place is mobbed all day Christmas Eve and people are bulk buying bread, milk, tissues, toilet rolls etc, the shelves end up bare as if rationing was about to be introduced or that the store would never reopen it's doors.

What can I say, I always find it quite amusing if also rather sad and pathetic.

47 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

img-20200227-wa0003-jpg.452425

My mistake.  My Spanish is not very good and I thought Burdel was where you went to get a burrito.  Waitresses were great and they sure looked after me while I was waiting to order food.

Then this virus comes along and ruins everything.

Never going to that restaurant again.

Never did get a burrito.