Emotional support animals

ICTChris

The US Department of Transportation are reviewing their policy on emotional support animals on flights.  Emotional support animals are animals that passengers claim allow them to cope with their fear of flying or other issues by offering comfort.  The DoT are proposing that only 'service animals' such as guide or hearing dogs be permitted on standard flights.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51214829

In recent years passengers have attempted to take squirrels, peacocks and pigs onto aircraft, claiming they were required for emotional support.  US airline United Airline saw a 75% increase in the use of these animals in 2017-18.  Some airrports even employ these animals - here is Lilou the support pig at San Francisico International Airport

lilou-therapy-pig.

Why  have they painted the pigs trotters like nails?

Have any P&Bers ever used an emotional support animal?

Have any P&Bers ever seen one being used on a flight?

Where does one get a peacock, let alone take one on a plane?

5 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The US Department of Transportation are reviewing their policy on emotional support animals on flights.  Emotional support animals are animals that passengers claim allow them to cope with their fear of flying or other issues by offering comfort.  The DoT are proposing that only 'service animals' such as guide or hearing dogs be permitted on standard flights.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51214829

In recent years passengers have attempted to take squirrels, peacocks and pigs onto aircraft, claiming they were required for emotional support.  US airline United Airline saw a 75% increase in the use of these animals in 2017-18.  Some airrports even employ these animals - here is Lilou the support pig at San Francisico International Airport

lilou-therapy-pig.

They expect us to believe that thing's a pilot?  Pigs can fly.

3 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Beer is my spirit animal.

Try and disprove that, po-po!

2 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

So you're saying I can't take my emotional support kestrel on board any more? Gutted.

8EC4FCBB-2228-4205-BE0F-389A7A1EC087.jpeg.bc4bf489fedb7bc8c7c37d39c6ce0fd2.jpeg

3 hours ago, Andy_K_97 said:

So you're saying I can't take my emotional support kestrel on board any more? Gutted.

I saw a woman with a parrot at Denver airport last year. She didn't appear to have a wooden leg or an eye patch so I'm guessing she was claiming it was an emotional support dealio.

I also once saw a woman strutting into a restaurant with a regular type dog.

Waitress: You can't bring your dog in here.
Woman with Dog: (Over her shoulder) It's my emotional support animal. 
Waitress: Then I need to see a letter from your doctor.
Woman with Dog: It's at home.
Waitress: Then you can't bring your dog in here.

And out she had to go.