Perth’s finest vs The capital’s rejuvenated Gegenpressmeisters

If you take 1989/90, it covers the pre-season then any signings during the season up to the old transfer window in March, or whenever it was.
Curran signed in that pre-season, he played throughout the promotion campaign. He really came into his own after promotion though and was our top scorer in the first season back up. 
McGinnis must've signed about this time of year, not long after Hegarty. Was he not primarily a centre back but a bit of a jack of all trades? In my young mind his arrival pushed the likes of Kenny Thomson, Doug Barron, Alan McKillop and even Sammy Johnston towards the exit door. 
The next season, Davies, Sweeney and MacDonald signed in a short space of time, £300,000 spent just like that. 
Think Davies was fairly early in the season, maybe October-ish and Sweeney and MacDonald (probably between the pair of them the biggest spunking of cash we've ever saw at Saints and pound for pound just terrible) in about February/March. Totten for all the good he did, had a habit of spending on haddies, that's for sure.

I don't think that was the team that we came up with though was it?  Wasn't that Hearts match played in our second season back up, so the personnel had changed a bit by then?
As far as I remember it, so this won't be 100% accuracy..
Part of team that came up: Hamilton, Deas, Cherry, Maskrey, Moore, Harry Curran either signed at the start of the promotion season or in the summer before our first season back up.
Signed after promotion: John Inglis £115,000 from Meadowbank, Tommy Turner signed for £100,000 from Morton, Gary McGinnis signed for £100,000 from Dundee United, John Davis signed for £165,000 from Clydebank. Not sure how much we paid for Ian Redford or Vinny Arkins, but I remember the newspaper chat that Celtic were also after Arkins!
Agree with your point though, the way the team played in our first season back up was brilliant, in a very competitive 10 team premier league.

Don't know if you misread what I was saying but what I meant was that the team for that game was generally made up of either -

Promotion winning players.
Players we'd signed on promotion from lower League clubs - Inglis from Meadowbank, Davies from Clydebank for example or players we'd signed from Premier Division sides who were way down the pecking order at the selling club - Lindsay Hamilton for example.

For that team with virtually no top flight experience to do what they did. Incredible.

This was a time when Dundee United, Hearts, Aberdeen etc were all still to be taken seriously. We went to Tannadice and won, Tynecastle and won, hammered Aberdeen, beat Celtic etc etc. Heady days.

I’ve got a hazy memory of Ian Redford scoring two headers at Aberdeen after John Davies was sent off on his debut, but I could be getting my matches mixed up. One of the headers was from the 18 yard line, was an amazing effort.
I think Davies debut was 0-0 up there, remember sitting on the benches in the Beach end for that game. It's funny because your mind does play tricks. My recall of that game, years later was Saints playing in the red and white striped away top, which clearly wouldn't have been the case at Aberdeen.
As an aside, Redford didn't sign for Saints for another 8 months or so you're memory is a bad as mine!

Totten made some great signings but also signed some utter cross. Same as most managers I suppose. 
One of the biggest mistakes the club made was assuming that Paul Wright was crocked and selling him to Killie.

Paul Wright was wanting away.
Totten getting sacked was nothing to do with recouping transfer money or not bringing in young players.

25 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Totten made some great signings but also signed some utter cross. Same as most managers I suppose. 

One of the biggest mistakes the club made was assuming that Paul Wright was crocked and selling him to Killie.

It was Sturrock who sold him.Form what I remember Wright was a disruptive influence and the dressing room was divided.He was a very good player but full of his own self importance and this (along with his injury issues and the other strikers we had at the time) was a major factor in him going...But it was a long time ago,please correct me if I'm wrong 

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

For which all Killie fans will be forever thankful .....
And good on you too. That's football and without that who knows if you'd ever have won in 97. Looked on enviously at the time and grateful that one day it was our turn. On Wright himself, a more natural finisher I've yet to see in a Saints shirt, probably anyway.

Davies' debut was definitely off the bench up at Pittodrie in that 0-0. It was Sportscene's main game as it was the meeting after the 5-0 game and some local businessman had promised the Aberdeen players a bonus if they could reverse the 5-0 scoreline. Don't imagine Totten required much of a team talk that day.

As an aside, the story goes that the TV cameras were meant to be at McDiarmid for the 5-0 game but Rangers had just signed Kuznetzov so they headed for Ibrox instead, and he didn't even play. We got our own back a few weeks later... 

Edited by Radford

40 minutes ago, Radford said:

Davies' debut was definitely off the bench up at Pittodrie in that 0-0. It was Sportscene's main game as it was the meeting after the 5-0 game and some local businessman had promised the Aberdeen players a bonus if they could reverse the 5-0 scoreline. Don't imagine Totten required much of a team talk that day.

As an aside, the story goes that the TV cameras were meant to be at McDiarmid for the 5-0 game but Rangers had just signed Kuznetzov so they headed for Ibrox instead, and he didn't even play. We got our own back a few weeks later... 

"Hammer throwers..."

🤣

Watching the highlights back, Pereira had an even worse game than I remember. Why the f**k is he standing outside the width of the posts at their first goal? His attempt to stop the second is also atrocious, as was his bizarre, dramatic save for May's 40-yarder, which should have been an easy catch. I think a large part of our performance in the second half was down to him causing panic and indecision in the defence.

Aside from Pereira's pathetic attempt to save it, St Johnstone's second goal was just such a daft goal to concede in general. Boyce had just gone off for treatment and instead of just keeping it tight for a minute, Clare pushes right up to the edge of their box to receive a pass, which is inevitably misplaced. Once it's played forward, Halkett is dragged out wide to cover Clare, leaving a huge space in the middle for McCann. f**k knows where our CMs are at this point, because Naismith is the closest player chasing McCann down. It was just so needless at a time we were temporarily down by a man.

7 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Watching the highlights back, Pereira had an even worse game than I remember. Why the f**k is he standing outside the width of the posts at their first goal? His attempt to stop the second is also atrocious, as was his bizarre, dramatic save for May's 40-yarder, which should have been an easy catch. I think a large part of our performance in the second half was down to him causing panic and indecision in the defence.

Aside from Pereira's pathetic attempt to save it, St Johnstone's second goal was just such a daft goal to concede in general. Boyce had just gone off for treatment and instead of just keeping it tight for a minute, Clare pushes right up to the edge of their box to receive a pass, which is inevitably misplaced. Once it's played forward, Halkett is dragged out wide to cover Clare, leaving a huge space in the middle for McCann. f**k knows where our CMs are at this point, because Naismith is the closest player chasing McCann down. It was just so needless at a time we were temporarily down by a man.

Your full backs seemed caught out of position a lot.

Kane has a shot in the first half, but you've got May standing completely unmarked in the box where youd expect Clare to be. Kane rolls it to him hes got a simple chance.

Second half Kane chance, that ends with McCann knocking it over the bar, has almost exactly the same situation with May standing completely unmarked where White should be.

Cant remember where both players end up during these sequences tbh, just remember thinking it when watching the highlights.

Edited by RandomGuy.