The Caley v Rangers under 17s

TheScarf

I know this has rumbled on for 24 hours or so, but it’s very rare that a decision against an Inverness Caley player will ever get me so angry.  

I see a lot of people saying that it’s fair enough that the referee was able to get this decision wrong in real time, without the use of replays etc. But if a fully qualified, SFA endorsed referee is standing 12 feet away from that challenge, and thinks it’s a dive, then he has absolutely no place refereeing football at any sort of competitive level in this country. We see it week in and week out where a player will maybe exaggerate a challenge, or even fall over a dangling leg when there’s been minimal contact, and in these situations the only time we see the referee produce a yellow card for simulation is when it’s quite blatantly, and beyond any doubt, a dive. For Greg Aitken to watch that challenge from 12 feet away and be so sure that Keatings has dived to produce a second yellow, and ultimately a red, is staggering.

The panel not overturning the decision doesn’t need to be expanded on, its horrendous. But I feel the referee is getting away with one here. 

I know this has rumbled on for 24 hours or so, but it’s very rare that a decision against an Inverness Caley player will ever get me so angry.  

I see a lot of people saying that it’s fair enough that the referee was able to get this decision wrong in real time, without the use of replays etc. But if a fully qualified, SFA endorsed referee is standing 12 feet away from that challenge, and thinks it’s a dive, then he has absolutely no place refereeing football at any sort of competitive level in this country. We see it week in and week out where a player will maybe exaggerate a challenge, or even fall over a dangling leg when there’s been minimal contact, and in these situations the only time we see the referee produce a yellow card for simulation is when it’s quite blatantly, and beyond any doubt, a dive. For Greg Aitken to watch that challenge from 12 feet away and be so sure that Keatings has dived to produce a second yellow, and ultimately a red, is staggering.

The panel not overturning the decision doesn’t need to be expanded on, its horrendous. But I feel the referee is getting away with one here. 

I can’t agree, no one but him knows what he saw in real time.

I don’t know the guys history as a ref but I’d wager that every single referee out there has had an absolute howler of a decision based on real time viewing. Obviously if it’s every week that’s a different matter.

The panel are given no such leeway, such a ludicrous situation.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I can’t agree, no one but him knows what he saw in real time.

I don’t know the guys history as a ref but I’d wager that every single referee out there has had an absolute howler of a decision based on real time viewing. Obviously if it’s every week that’s a different matter.

The panel are given no such leeway, such a ludicrous situation.

The guy is dishing out a second yellow card and putting someone off the pitch. In that situation I would expect a referee to only show the yellow card when he is absolutely, 100%, no doubts in his mind, sure that the player had dived. It might not be a stonewall foul but if one our supposed top officials can’t look at that incident and see that there was contact then he shouldn’t be involved in refereeing high profile games in Scottish football.

You could take any poster off this site and place them in the position the referee was in, and I would be quite confident in saying that every single person would not have been issuing a second yellow card for simulation. 

The guy is dishing out a second yellow card and putting someone off the pitch. In that situation I would expect a referee to only show the yellow card when he is absolutely, 100%, no doubts in his mind, sure that the player had dived. It might not be a stonewall foul but if one our supposed top officials can’t look at that incident and see that there was contact then he shouldn’t be involved in refereeing high profile games in Scottish football.

You could take any poster off this site and place them in the position the referee was in, and I would be quite confident in saying that every single person would not have been issuing a second yellow card for simulation. 

That’s a very extreme way of looking at it.

Everyone is allowed to have an absolute howler at their work, whatever it may be.

ETA - referees will make loads of decisions where they’re not ‘absolutely 100% sure’, it’s impossible not to.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

That’s a very extreme way of looking at it.

Everyone is allowed to have an absolute howler at their work, whatever it may be.

Fair enough I agree with that, and we’ve seen our fair share of howlers from every referee in Scotland. It was more the point that a few people had been saying they could understand why the referee had gave the decision in real time. 

Fair enough I agree with that, and we’ve seen our fair share of howlers from every referee in Scotland. It was more the point that a few people had been saying they could understand why the referee had gave the decision in real time. 

Tbh I watched the clip for the first time this morning and it’s only after a couple of angles you see how bad the decision is.

The live tv first viewing for me doesn’t make it seem ‘that’ bad. Who knows what greig aitken actually saw. I’m sure he knows himself he’s made a c**t of that one.

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

ETA - referees will make loads of decisions where they’re not ‘absolutely 100% sure’, it’s impossible not to.

Again, I agree. But I would expect a referee to have the sense to only issue a second yellow card for simulation when they are 100% sure. 

Again, I agree. But I would expect a referee to have the sense to only issue a second yellow card for simulation when they are 100% sure. 

We all agree it’s a horrendous decision, I just mean from whatever angle or whatever he saw through human error he felt it was a dive. It’s a total f**k up, of course it is.

The point is merely that I’m not for crucifying or blacklisting someone over that.

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

We all agree it’s a horrendous decision, I just mean from whatever angle or whatever he saw through human error he felt it was a dive. It’s a total f**k up, of course it is.

The point is merely that I’m not for crucifying or blacklisting someone over that.

I get what you mean but this man is a qualified referee, refereeing at a pretty high level in our game. If a guy off the street had made that decision we could accept it as a terrible mistake. 

To use your work analogy, if I made a decision in my job that every other person in the industry disagreed with I would be expecting to take a lot of flak. To be fair, he has taken a lot of flak, but I don’t agree that a referee who has got into that position in our game can make such a terrible mistake, and continue to be classed as a competent official. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

26 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Tbh I watched the clip for the first time this morning and it’s only after a couple of angles you see how bad the decision is.

The live tv first viewing for me doesn’t make it seem ‘that’ bad. Who knows what greig aitken actually saw. I’m sure he knows himself he’s made a c**t of that one.

In other sports refs will wear  a camera that feed back into the authorities, as ‘this is what I saw from my angle’ training aid(and if required evidence)   I’m not sure how feasible it would be in football but it would be worth an experiment.

Edited by parsforlife

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

He would have been absolutely 100% sure when he made the decision - it's entirely possible to be 100% sure about something and still end up being wrong.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He would have been absolutely 100% sure when he made the decision - it's entirely possible to be 100% sure about something and still end up being wrong.

He may well have been, but that calls into  question his competency to be a referee at this standard. It’s not a hard decision. 

I get what you mean but this man is a qualified referee, refereeing at a pretty high level in our game. If a guy off the street had made that decision we could accept it as a terrible mistake. 

To use your work analogy, if I made a decision in my job that every other person in the industry disagreed with I would be expecting to take a lot of flak. To be fair, he has taken a lot of flak, but I don’t agree that a referee who has got into that position in our game can make such a terrible mistake, and continue to be classed as a competent official. 
I think there's several angles in this which previous posters have all alluded to.

The work analogy you use is key, if you f**k up at work, fair enough, it happens to most people. And, as in pretty much every workplace, a f**k up is reviewed by 'superiors', or whatever you want to call them. There's oversight. The fact that at least 2 out of 3 in the panel reviewing it have backed up a universally reviled decision isn't doing the referee in question any favours and has completely undermined what little - if any - faith people had left in the whole procedure and the SFA in general. It feeds the flames for everyone - rightly or wrongly - who thinks there are agendas within the SFA when it comes to this shit.

It takes a hell of a lot to unite Scottish football fans, and this is the closest thing I've ever seen. Somehow, the SFA will ride it out though, they always do. That's what bothers me most, as well as Keatings missing the final obviously, for his sake.