The Caley v Rangers under 17s

TheScarf

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 14:12, Highland Capital said:

The weight of the world is on Caley Thistle's shoulders.  If Rangers win, it justifies the colts in the competition and would intensify the demand for colt sides in the league system.  It is imperative, for Caley Thistle and for all of diddy Scottish football, that Inverness Caledonian Thistle win - and win well.

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 14:45, PB1994 said:

Shite.

He is absolutely correct. It’s embarrassing enough that rangers colts could even make it to the semi final, so for the best team left in the completion to lose to them would be beyond a joke. He didn’t even mention how utterly unbearable Rangers fans in Inverness would be (not that they aren’t already to be fair) if we get papped out of a cup semi final by there kids.

If we do lose this we deserve every bit of abuse/ridicule we will get from the rest of Scottish football for failing in our duties for the good of the game.

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 16:28, bdu98196 said:

Good post.

image.thumb.png.de088129c86785958c71dc1678b1b917.png

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 20:51, Highland Capital said:

Very good post m8, even if it is on that site.  The weight of the world is on our shoulders.  It is my hope and all those who are right-thinking, that good prevails over evil on the Lord's day.

4 hours ago, Im_Rodger said:

Looks like the final will be doomsday for Scottish football. 

If Rangers U21s win the cup then I regret to say they may have a mandate to involve them in the lower leagues.

They cannot have that mandate under any circumstances.

This is why they need put out now. 

Scottish football's integrity is at stake. 

Scotland salutes your indefatigability.

I think it's all about player development and finding that place between a strong League 1 team and a top flight championship team - which is where our Under 21s are right now.
I can understand the frustration that some fans have when their team is bested - but we broad-shouldered football fans can see the bigger picture...
I don't think anyone would argue that Rangers and Celtic could put a B team out which could compete at Championship level - as tonight has proved. Do you think it would be a good thing to have them in the SPFL though? Genuine question, not having a go.

Our players should be fucking ashamed of themselves after they performance. 
None of them looked like they gave a f**k. 

I only saw most of the second half, Toshney seemed to be going for it though. Surprising, given what the Falkirk fans had to say about him.

15 minutes ago, Jarballs said:
2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I only saw most of the second half, Toshney seemed to be going for it though. Surprising, given what the Falkirk fans had to say about him.

Do you mean in terms of performances for us (pretty good) or injuries (predictably common)?

16 minutes ago, Jarballs said:
2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I thought Toshney defended in the box very well but was getting torn apart outwith it. 

Some of the minters posting on here - suppose its expected given its one of the OF and many diddy clubs fans always have a 'big' team.

Given the awful conditions and ref bias that can only come from playing an OF side, its a satisfying result. Quality of performance doesn't really matter its the result that did and its job done. Today it feels like not only did ICT step up to help save Scottish football (again) but also prevent any sort of zombie uprising.

Another cup final and chance for our 2nd success in 3 years in this cup.

14 hours ago, Jarballs said:
16 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Toshnet turned out a decent shift but I'll give him a few more games to see how it turns out for him, but fair play for a fine performance yesterday.

11 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Rangers had the opportunity to.play young laddies at this level when the club was actually at this level 5 year ago.

Just out of interest I looked up U23 players Rangers played at this level 5 years ago and where they are now...

Tom Walsh – ICT
Ryan Hardie – Plymouth Argyle
Fraser Aird – Valour (Canada)
Lewis McLeod – Wigan
Calum Gallagher – Airdrie
Andy Murdoch – Ayr
Robbie Crawford – Charleston Battery (USA)
Nicky Clark – Dundee United

Pointless exercise but killed time until my lunch break

Rangers had the opportunity to.play young laddies at this level when the club was actually at this level 5 year ago.
And there wasn't any clamour to have Colt sides in the cup and league when Rangers were taking 2 seasons to get out of the Championship.

If Rangers had had to face Celtic or Aberdeen Colts side in the Challenge cup back then. I very much doubt the Rangers fans would have been in favour of it.

17 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

The loan system is a gamble.  The fortunes of wee Kelly with you and McPake with Dundee confirm this.  A much better approach is to have loans AND a way in which players from decent academies can be tested.  That our Colts got to the semi final is a justification of the process.

The Championship clubs (including the Foreign clubs) rarely take this competition seriously and in fact play their OWN youngsters and fringe players mostly, as such I really don't think you can gauge your teams progress as any sort of "justification" to be included in a league setup.

As an aside, Kelly has indeed done well with us and could have a big future ahead of him as he continues to develop, but as you say yourself, for every one that looks good there's another half dozen or so who just can't cut it in professional football.........

On 17/02/2020 at 13:06, WATTOO said:

The Championship clubs (including the Foreign clubs) rarely take this competition seriously and in fact play their OWN youngsters and fringe players mostly, as such I really don't think you can gauge your teams progress as any sort of "justification" to be included in a league setup.

As an aside, Kelly has indeed done well with us and could have a big future ahead of him as he continues to develop, but as you say yourself, for every one that looks good there's another half dozen or so who just can't cut it in professional football.........

And there's the rub with Celtic and Rangers youth development, they suck up plenty young lads who show talent at a young age, coach them and lead them on with promises only to discard the majority of them.

Mind you it also happens in England.