Scotland v Israel

Smokerson

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Worth remembering that Oli Burke was a regular in La Liga last season. He might be somewhat limited, but we're hardly talking about some English lower league reserve player here.

It's also worth remembering that people have seen Oli Burke play and he has been consistently rotten.

7 minutes ago, AJF said:

It's also worth remembering that people have seen Oli Burke play and he has been consistently rotten.

I'm pleasantly surprised he's in the squad.

With the exception of Robertson and Forrest the squad has a distinct lack of pace about it. Burke will never be the greatest player, but his pace and physical attributes give us a potential different option off the bench.

If the 5 subs rule is a permanent feature, I'd always find room in the squad for Callum Paterson for a similar reason. A Plan C or D with 5-10 mins to go to lauch up to a battering ram upfront is an option we've not really had in a long time.

Surely they are going to need more centre backs, or are they going to conveniently not ban McKenna for games until after the internationals...

If it ends up with his club being punished for actions outside of football, but not the national team... Maybe it wasn't such a heinous crime in the eyes of the SFA

Edited by ScoRoss

14 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

I'm pleasantly surprised he's in the squad.

With the exception of Robertson and Forrest the squad has a distinct lack of pace about it. Burke will never be the greatest player, but his pace and physical attributes give us a potential different option off the bench.

If the 5 subs rule is a permanent feature, I'd always find room in the squad for Callum Paterson for a similar reason. A Plan C or D with 5-10 mins to go to lauch up to a battering ram upfront is an option we've not really had in a long time.

Pace and physical attributes are only good if you have decent footballing ability to go with them.

He may surprise me and prove me wrong, but I doubt he will.

15 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Surely they are going to need more centre backs, or are they going to conveniently not ban McKenna for games until after the internationals...

If it ends up with his club being punished for actions outside of football, but not the national team... Maybe it wasn't such a heinous crime in the eyes of the SFA

Least he's no getting called up while sitting in the jail in Greece.

26 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Isn’t it the the SPFL that is dealing with the players and the SFA is charging the clubs? If so I don’t think the SPFL can ban him for international games.

20 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Isn’t it the the SPFL that is dealing with the players and the SFA is charging the clubs? If so I don’t think the SPFL can ban him for international games.

Think it's the other way around.

At least from reading that.

15 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Think it's the other way around.

At least from reading that.

No, looks you’re right. Couldn’t remember what way round it was and the other made a bit more sense to me but what do I know.

Relatively happy with the squad and quite excited about kicking off another Nations League campaign.

Chuffed that Dykes has chosen us, he’s a handful and will give us a good option for years to come.

People are stating that Clarke will play a back 3.....I’m not sure. During his time as West Brom, Kilmarnock and so far as Scotland manager, I don’t ever remember him shifting from his current system. I think Tierney has been brought in to play in a Back 4, whether that’s at Left Back, Right Back or Centre Half, time will tell.

Happy with the squad. It's as good as it could have been and I'm glad we didn't go with Naismith or Russell, both of whom are dead end options.

Think we have a good chance of getting a result Vs Israel, and looking at the Czech squad i don't see anything to be afraid of. They look very cap and goal light (but so do we!)

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

Relatively happy with the squad and quite excited about kicking off another Nations League campaign.

Chuffed that Dykes has chosen us, he’s a handful and will give us a good option for years to come.

People are stating that Clarke will play a back 3.....I’m not sure. During his time as West Brom, Kilmarnock and so far as Scotland manager, I don’t ever remember him shifting from his current system. I think Tierney has been brought in to play in a Back 4, whether that’s at Left Back, Right Back or Centre Half, time will tell.

I think Tierney would probably be our best CB in a four anyway.  He's just a good defender and enjoys defending.

The only issue is in the air he would need somebody big and commanding next to him as a big powerful CF would just totally body him.

He's quick too which is a huge asset in that position, and our other options are pish.

Suspensions for players at club level have never applied to international football. Aberdeen were responsible for McKenna when he breached the protocol, if he had done so while on national team business then it would be a different story.

3 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Disgusted that he's picked that big donkey McKenna ahead of Lindsay and Kerr again!

Lindsay has been out of favour at Stoke since Michael O'Neill brought in James Chester, initially on loan and now permanently. 

Liam has had very little game time in recent months and it wouldn't be a surprise if he leaves Stoke during the window. 

31 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I think Tierney would probably be our best CB in a four anyway.  He's just a good defender and enjoys defending.

The only issue is in the air he would need somebody big and commanding next to him as a big powerful CF would just totally body him.

He's quick too which is a huge asset in that position, and our other options are pish.

Defending out wide down the line using pace, timing and interceptions is Tierney’s bread and butter and he is great at it. However, you’ll know it is quite different to defending being a centre back dealing with forwards backing in, aerial duels and physical battles.

I’m not saying he couldn’t do it, I’d just be slightly concerned if we are lining him up for a centre back slot.

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Suspensions for players at club level have never applied to international football. Aberdeen were responsible for McKenna when he breached the protocol, if he had done so while on national team business then it would be a different story.

Suspensions have never been handed out for joining the rest of the city in a bar... It's a bit of a different case. 

Of course he wasn't on 'national team business', but he was hardly on the clock for Aberdeen either.

If the SFA are punishing the players for this, they can't just decide he is free to play for their own team. Seems a bit weak by them, or just convenient.

Just now, AJF said:

Defending out wide down the line using pace, timing and interceptions is Tierney’s bread and butter and he is great at it. However, you’ll know it is quite different to defending being a centre back dealing with forwards backing in, aerial duels and physical battles.

I’m not saying he couldn’t do it, I’d just be slightly concerned if we are lining him up for a centre back slot.

We'd all be very comfortable with KT starting at left back.   I'd also be slightly concerned with him starting at CB or indeed RB.   But I'd be very concerned with Cooper or O'Donnell starting at CB or RB.   He has to start every game for us.