Scotland v Israel

Smokerson

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

McGregor is 27, how much are we expecting him to improve? His window for moving on and lifting his game to the next level was about 3 years ago. 

100% agree he should have left 3 years ago. I think he could still benefit from moving though, maybe not to necessarily improve his game (I think he can play to a good level) but to give him a new challenge and to play consistently in more competitive games.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

McTominay played 37 times for Man Utd last season despite being out injured for two months, where on earth is this limited game time stuff coming from?  Donny van de Beek is a million miles away from him in terms of the type of player he is.

It's literally come from Darren Bent in the Metro. I have no idea why folk take this as an indication of anything other than Darren Bent not having a fucking clue what he's on about.

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

This won't be a walk-over btw. They have some decent players playing at a good level. They let us know that in the Nations League. Our midfield is very, very good so surely to God that should be enough to get in behind them and won't have to overtly rely on a striker that's never played international football before*

*Before anyone jumps on this, I'm looking forward to Dykes in the future, but this is a massive step up from hoof-ball at the Spaghettihad.

Is chucking Christopher Jullien around like an empty tracksuit a lower standard than Israel's defence? The best side any of their defenders play for is probably Celtic.

17 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

McTominay played 37 times for Man Utd last season despite being out injured for two months, where on earth is this limited game time stuff coming from?  Donny van de Beek is a million miles away from him in terms of the type of player he is.

After restart he barely started a game.  Matic played a couple, played well, had his contract extended and kept McTominay out of the starting XI.

Suspect that the team that finished last season will remain for the new season.

1 minute ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

After restart he barely started a game.  Matic played a couple, played well, had his contract extended and kept McTominay out of the starting XI.

Suspect that the team that finished last season will remain for the new season.

He was still getting on in nearly every game that he didn't start, he's been getting plenty of minutes under his belt. No reason to expect that won't continue next season.

Zahavi is the problem player.  He scored against us at Hampden, and has scored 11 since then in Euro 2020 qualifying.

Bear in mind Israel only scored 16 goals in the whole campaign.  If you stop him, they are seriously limited.

(That said, our entire side has 20 international goals versus his 19... so you know...)

11 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Yes deceiving closes down defenders fast will bring the midfielders into the game by holding the ball up and laying it off as well as chasing the ball over the top. 

Yea, I was going to add that. (Has been) Really good at bringing others into the game whether through holding the ball up or flicking headers for midfield runners going beyond. This would appear suit McGinn and Armstrong.

Aye, it seems very unlikely that McTominay is going to get as much gametime this coming season as he did in the last. Whilst they haven't necessarily brought in players that perform the same kind of role, it does look like Man Utd are reshaping their midfield. Matic can't play every game, I suppose, but the chances of McTominay being a first choice pick seem distinctly remote, unfortunately. 

6 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

You'll be disappointed then cause he's 24.

I don't see what his age has to do with it. Harper has played for the U17s and U19s so surely the next logical step is the under 21s? Players develop at different rates.

I certainly don't think he should be thrown into the senior squad quite yet.

I don't see what his age has to do with it. Harper has played for the U17s and U19s so surely the next logical step is the under 21s? Players develop at different rates.
He isn't eligible for the U21 squad anymore. I think you have to be 21 or younger at the start of a quali campaign (or something like that) to get in the squad. He was 23.

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Exactly, if he's good enough, he's old enough for the u21s.

15 minutes ago, BlackandGold said:

that’s mcburnie on the bench for sheff utd after pulling out. hope he’s nowhere the squad again the fkn p***k

Hahaha, aw I did think it was strange that none of the articles covering him and Shankland withdrawing actually stated that Mcburnie pulled out injured. Mentions were made of Shanklands injury, but I didn't see anyone say 'McBurnie has withdrawn due to an injury'. 

Is he on the bench just to be on the bench? You'd think sheffield wouldn't need to include an injured player on their bench for a pre season game.