Vote on Curtailment of the season

2 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

It seems to work well in England but I think there is FA funding for those Clubs.

would it not make sense to have highland, lowland, west, south all feeding into a National League then automatic promotion to SPFL rather than a plethora of play offs to reach a play off. Would also provide a better landing spot for SPFL clubs. Brechin potentially going to the Highland League was nonsensical .

I guess the average league attendance of over 2,000 and broadcast deal with BT probably helps...

Your suggestion of four leagues feeding into a national league makes absolutely no sense. The west and south are already contained within the Lowland so not sure why you'd include them feeding into a National League (did you forget about the east?). Having the HL and LL is like the National League North and South in England - a stepping stone from the more regional leagues.

Easiest way to get rid of the plethora of play-offs is to automatically relegate club 42 to the Highland or Lowland.

I guess the average league attendance of over 2,000 and broadcast deal with BT probably helps...
Your suggestion of four leagues feeding into a national league makes absolutely no sense. The west and south are already contained within the Lowland so not sure why you'd include them feeding into a National League (did you forget about the east?). Having the HL and LL is like the National League North and South in England - a stepping stone from the more regional leagues.
Easiest way to get rid of the plethora of play-offs is to automatically relegate club 42 to the Highland or Lowland.

The Lowland League and Highland League together were billed as a National Competition to produce a play off club to challenge Club 42. Given the West have not been properly involved it has not yet met that criteria and I would say until the Lowland League comprises all the best clubs in the Lowland area it still has not achieved that status.

The SPFL is billed as a national competition to produce a champion club for all of Scotland. Given the non-league seniors and juniors have not been properly involved, it has not yet met that criteria, and I would say until the SPFL comprises the best 42 clubs in Scotland it still has not achieved that status.

43 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The SPFL is billed as a national competition to produce a champion club for all of Scotland. Given the non-league seniors and juniors have not been properly involved, it has not yet met that criteria, and I would say until the SPFL comprises the best 42 clubs in Scotland it still has not achieved that status.

Possibly but the tiers below the spfl are all over the place with better teams in the East of Scotland than in the Lowland following the juniors admittance and won’t even start on integrating West Clubs till next season so don’t disagree but below tier 4 needs to sort itself out into a proper tier system based on ability before open access to spfl.

Just now, gogsy said:

Weasel words from the  self protection society.

Not at all, my reading is what was agreed was to allow access to spfl based on the lowland etc would form into a National league.and still hasn’t happened. Also by the rules, only one team is maybe allowed access and that’s after a play off so why are we discussing allowing two teams. Doesn’t seem fair to league 2 clubs without some compensation.

seems a great deal for lowland and highland, don’t see any Coronavirus pain for them this year.

Forcing teams with hee haw in the way of resources into a national League is nonsense. We have teams below SPFL 2 who may be rattling along quite well, but asking them to travel the length of the country beyond their means is daft. What on earth is wrong with having a regional set up at this level? This is what happens everywhere else. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

That’s because they mainly chose not to join or try and join rather than have the ambition to play nationally and play a part in building the Scottish League into the force it has become. 

34 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Weasel words from the  self protection society.

No, I think you will find that the SPFL clubs agreed to allow non league clubs win promotion whilst gaining nothing in return.  I had no problem with that but I expected that Tier 5 would quickly put its house in order to ensure a strong Lowland League - they did not mainly due to the junior feet dragging especially in the West.  In addition I believed that Tier 5 should have been affiliated in some way to SPFL at the outset with both the HL/LL being allocated at least £100k each in prize money from the SPFL.  But everything was rushed through.  The extra money Spfl L2 clubs received was more than swallowed up by the wage inflation caused by the trapdoor.  There was no whining either from Cowden when they played in the Pyramid play off nor did we call for reconstruction then

Edited by Cowden Cowboy

21 minutes ago, gogsy said:

More weasel words from the self preservation society, teams currently challenging at the top end of Lowland League would more than hold their own in SPFL league two.

Then they will get there via the current system, what’s the problem ?

you and others seem to want to use the Coronavirus crisis to force through teams now rather than let the current system go on. Opportunism using a crisis is not a good look either.

2 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

The Lowland League and Highland League together were billed as a National Competition to produce a play off club to challenge Club 42. Given the West have not been properly involved it has not yet met that criteria and I would say until the Lowland League comprises all the best clubs in the Lowland area it still has not achieved that status.

All maybe not. But it’s hardly a weak league to be relegated into. The bottom 4 are performing pretty poorly and will likely to struggle to retain their status in a few years time.  But that’s it and even then there’s a debate over the potential of Gretna given that the previous club they did well enough to get into the SFL and it could even be argued that there’s a potential for Edinburgh uni to kick on if they got the right intake of players.   Under normal circumstances Bo’ness or Broxburn would be coming up this year. And outside of that Auchinleck are the only side really who you could  complain about not being in the league you’d be going into.

‘The LL isn’t strong enough’ is an nonsense argument, the drop in standard compared to the league 2 is little different to premiership to championship or championship to league 1.(league 1 to league 2 are a bit closer together)

33 minutes ago, gogsy said:

First part of the bit in bold is a disgraceful comment but no surprise coming from you , second part why should the current system go on , if a team is bad enough to finish bottom of SPFL 2 why shouldn't they go down automatically?

Why shouldn’t it ? It’s only been in place a few years and two teams have come up so far. Seems to be working fine. 

If it’s not opportunism, why are you getting so animated now, wait a year till the crisis is over and Clubs have a chance to recover, some SPFL Clubs are nearly out of business and could be very vulnerable next season to falling out the league due to the financial impacts of this.

Your not alone however as the relegated Clubs, spfl and others are out to push their agendas in the shadow of this crisis.

33 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

Why shouldn’t it ? It’s only been in place a few years and two teams have come up so far. Seems to be working fine. 

If it’s not opportunism, why are you getting so animated now, wait a year till the crisis is over and Clubs have a chance to recover, some SPFL Clubs are nearly out of business and could be very vulnerable next season to falling out the league due to the financial impacts of this.

Your not alone however as the relegated Clubs, spfl and others are out to push their agendas in the shadow of this crisis.

Is relegation into HL (if it was Brechin as things stand) or in a year possibly LL really going to end clubs? I call b.s.   

Year 1 involves betfred cup, challenge cup and entering the Scottish cup at the same stage as league 2 sides, + a parachute payment not too dissimilar from what you would get as prize money for 10th in league 2.  

Given that few clubs have a lot of players on long term deals i severely doubt clubs can’t adapt to relegation. They might not like it, being relegated is very shit, but that’s kinda half the point of it. 

4 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Is relegation into HL (if it was Brechin as things stand) or in a year possibly LL really going to end clubs? I call b.s.   

Year 1 involves betfred cup, challenge cup and entering the Scottish cup at the same stage as league 2 sides, + a parachute payment not too dissimilar from what you would get as prize money for 10th in league 2.  

Given that few clubs have a lot of players on long term deals i severely doubt clubs can’t adapt to relegation. They might not like it, being relegated is very shit, but that’s kinda half the point of it. 

Don’t disagree, that’s why I  don’t see the great urgency to change the system which works fine.
This crisis seems to have generated a push to bring in automatic promotion and relegation. Why now if it’s not opportunism ?

2 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

Don’t disagree, that’s why I  don’t see the great urgency to change the system which works fine.
This crisis seems to have generated a push to bring in automatic promotion and relegation. Why now if it’s not opportunism ?

There has been a growing trend for automatic relegation since the pyramid came in, and with about 75 clubs joining the pyramid this summer(including all west juniors and all fife juniors). I’m sure there’s some using the current situation, but there’s absolutely no doubt that pressure would be increasing regardless. 

31 minutes ago, gogsy said:

To be fair, I wouldn't have Berwick going down this season , there isn't going to be a  playoff between Highland and Lowland league champions for them to play the winners of and anyway  league play off rules would have to be changed to allow bottom of SPFL 2 to go down automatically . As for getting animated that's you just exaggerating things again  , its a discussion on league reconstruction on an internet forum for gods sake.

Berwick went down last season. 

There has always been a natural progression get the pyramid fully established and get all the best teams more or less in the Lowland League (including West juniors) and then there is merit in looking at the automatic promotion option. 2 promotions in 5 years isn't really compelling evidence that there is a case for change. The current system is fair enough - not long ago there was no route into the SPFL

To be fair, I wouldn't have Berwick going down this season , there isn't going to be a  playoff between Highland and Lowland league champions for them to play the winners of and anyway  league play off rules would have to be changed to allow bottom of SPFL 2 to go down automatically . As for getting animated that's you just exaggerating things again  , its a discussion on league reconstruction on an internet forum for gods sake.

Not sure why Berwick would be going down - is this another quirk of the Lowland League that ex-SPFL clubs should be aware of?!