The SPFL recommendation?

26 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Aberdeen have written to all SPFL Premiership clubs asking to a delay in the decision to end the Premiership to allow them to complete a feasibility study into completing the fixtures.

It was made clear to the lower league clubs that this was never going to be possible, so surely any vote to end the lower league campaign should be annulled if the Premiership clubs are allowed to play behind closed doors?

Not that I really think it’s going to happen anyway, I should add.

However there is a principle here that is being swept over.....

To be fair, it was made clear to lower league clubs that the lower league fixtures couldn't be finished, and they would try to finish the Premiership.  

There are fairly obvious differences between the top division and the Championship. Never mind League 1/2.

All of the talk from other countries (and not just in football) has been about quarantining players for a period of time, testing them and then playing behind closed doors. That may just about be practical for full-time sides (I'm not convinced it really is) but for part-timers; no chance. 

Then, there is the impact on teams who currently have players furloughed. Closed door games means those players need to be paid. Clubs at this level would not be able to afford to do that without gate money.

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

Aberdeen have written to all SPFL Premiership clubs asking to a delay in the decision to end the Premiership to allow them to complete a feasibility study into completing the fixtures.

It was made clear to the lower league clubs that this was never going to be possible, so surely any vote to end the lower league campaign should be annulled if the Premiership clubs are allowed to play behind closed doors?

Not that I really think it’s going to happen anyway, I should add.

However there is a principle here that is being swept over.....

Didn't realise that teams in the leagues under the Premiership could qualify for Europe.

Edited by DA Baracus

To be fair, it was made clear to lower league clubs that the lower league fixtures couldn't be finished, and they would try to finish the Premiership.  

Not according to Gary Deans in that podcast.
Also, WHY would it not be possible to complete the lower league fixtures, but it would be possible to complete the Premiership ones? Doesn’t make sense......

5 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Not according to Gary Deans in that podcast.
Also, WHY would it not be possible to complete the lower league fixtures, but it would be possible to complete the Premiership ones? Doesn’t make sense......

Well the resolution that was put to clubs specifically stated that they would try and finish the Premiership season if possible but curtail the lower leagues.  If the Premiership is completed then nothing is happening that clubs weren't clear about and it is exactly what they were voting on.  If Gary Deans didnt know that, then he didnt read the resolution.  

I would guess that Premiership games have at least a tiny chance of being financially viable being played behind closed doors.  Lower league games do not.  It would financially cripple clubs at this level.  

Edited by CALDERON

Well the resolution that was put to clubs specifically stated that they would try and finish the Premiership season if possible but curtail the lower leagues.  If the Premiership is completed then nothing is happening that clubs weren't clear about and it is exactly what they were voting on.  If Gary Deans didnt know that, then he didnt read the resolution.  
I would guess that Premiership games have at least a tiny chance of being financially viable being played behind closed doors.  Lower league games do not.  It would financially cripple clubs at this level.  

Good point. I guess furlough payments would disappear too meaning that clubs would be on their own to cover costs.
Point taken.

21 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Then please at least explain?…

It's the reason why the Premiership hasn't ended their season and why they are still chatting such nonsense about trying to finish the games.

The leagues underneath don't have European places to be decided which is why they were able to be called.

It's the reason why the Premiership hasn't ended their season and why they are still chatting such nonsense about trying to finish the games.
The leagues underneath don't have European places to be decided which is why they were able to be called.

All true. However my point was that lower league clubs were TOLD that it would not be possible to complete their fixtures.
As has been explained above, most Lower League clubs would not want to, for financial reasons, but it was a stated basis of the reason for the vote.
In other words it was a formality of waiting out time as the Premiership fixtures will not be able to get played.
If this turns out not to be the case then the fundamental premise of the vote is flawed....

All true. However my point was that lower league clubs were TOLD that it would not be possible to complete their fixtures.
As has been explained above, most Lower League clubs would not want to, for financial reasons, but it was a stated basis of the reason for the vote.
In other words it was a formality of waiting out time as the Premiership fixtures will not be able to get played.
If this turns out not to be the case then the fundamental premise of the vote is flawed....
Let It go, it's over...

It isn’t possible to finish the lower league season. It also isn’t possible to finish the Premiership season but it’s a case of playing UEFA’s game until that call can be made.

Hope this helps.

6 hours ago, McBrian said:

I can't realistically see any more football/rugby/team sport/spectator sport being played in Europe (maybe worldwide) in 2020/21.

It's not only crowd safety that's in question, how do you keep the team and staff safe, think about dressing rooms, physio rooms, gyms etc. how do you ensure these are virus free bearing in mind that the current tests can only show a result when you have the virus and there is no viable antibody test at present and immunity is not confirmed.

There's a reckoning for the football authorities coming and it will be the big teams that will suffer with their bloated finances, no TV money, no travelling support etc.

Answers on postcard 🙂

Have you forgotten Belarus? Minsk is where it’s at. They’ve cornered the market.

Jacinda and her team have been excellent. I’m back into work tomorrow to get prepared for restarting work again properly on Tuesday. Hoping football will restart at the start of June again for us. Anyhoo, back to Scottish football...

In contrast to Boris and co. FT estimating that we’ve already had 35k+ excess deaths in the UK because of their abject failure to learn from other countries and mange the process properly.

32 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

In contrast to Boris and co. FT estimating that we’ve already had 35k+ excess deaths in the UK because of their abject failure to learn from other countries and mange the process properly.

We haven't got that as well have we?