West Development U20 League / Teams

6 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

You must be very proud.

Man you're getting sarky in your old age. or are you entering the grumpy old man phase. The u20's will have it's ups and downs. Teams change constantly as boys come and go over the season. So far with the League Cup and League it has been a great watch for me. The game between Threave and Lanark down here was an excellent watch and a credit to both sets of players and coaches. Better than some adult games I've been at.

I'll say it for you cause I know what you're thinking. 

'what do I expect watching SOSFL teams week in week out.' 😆😆😆

2 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Amazing what you find when you look. Fri Oct 20th for round 1. Some cracking ties. Lochar away to Pollok Threave at home to Edin Uni for me. Will post them up when get back from horses.

The Challenge Cup is outwith my control. Glad you found the ties!

Edited by Craig fae the Vale

Challenge-Cup.jpg

Round 1: Friday 20th October

Round 2: Friday 17 November

Round 3: Friday 19 January

Round 4: Friday 16 February

Round 5: Friday 15 March

Semi Finals: Friday 19 April

Final: Friday 31 May

On 23/09/2023 at 12:09, HorseyGhirl said:

Man you're getting sarky in your old age. or are you entering the grumpy old man phase. The u20's will have it's ups and downs. Teams change constantly as boys come and go over the season. So far with the League Cup and League it has been a great watch for me. The game between Threave and Lanark down here was an excellent watch and a credit to both sets of players and coaches. Better than some adult games I've been at.

I'll say it for you cause I know what you're thinking. 

'what do I expect watching SOSFL teams week in week out.' 😆😆😆

No idea where you get this stuff. You completely misunderstood the meaning behind what I was saying. It was a comment on the Pollok boy taking glory in scudding teams to that level.

4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

No idea where you get this stuff. You completely misunderstood the meaning behind what I was saying. It was a comment on the Pollok boy taking glory in scudding teams to that level.

No idea where you get this stuff. You completely misunderstood the meaning behind what I was saying.

It was a comment about the irony of our Senior team breaking that long-standing goalscoring record, only for our teen team going one better just a few days later!

For the record, I take no pleasure in "scudding" lower division teams and fully agree with several supporters on our fans' forum who praised the Saltcoats team for continuing to play open team football, showing not a little skill, right to the end of the match. They're a young team and hopefully their fortunes will start to improve as the season progresses.

Was at NWCC in Dumfries for Lochar Thistle v Wishaw.

What a great advert for the U20's. Wishaw good value for their 4-1 win. First half was evenly contested with visitors shading it. Game turned on its head in last 5 mins of first half, with Wishaw scoring 2 quick well worked and executed goals.

2nd half was a tame affair in comparison. Down to the Lochar boys being mentality and physically drained from a bruising first half. 

Was impressed with the Wishaw Boys game management. Just physical enough to keep on the right side of the official. They 'bullied' their meeker opponents for the full game. Particularly enjoyed following the Wishaw number 7 who was well practiced in the dark arts making sure he kept on the blind side of the ref; who was either ambivalent or oblivious to his off the ball shenanigans. 

Also good to see youth coaches still getting involved; first Wishaw coach red carded in 1st half the other got a yellow in the 2nd although how he didnt get a red too is a mystery.

Very much a more enjoyable encounter than a number of the adult games I attend, a number of which are honestly timid affairs.

Looking forward to 10th Nov when the Wishae boys are down to visit CD to take on Threave.

On 23/09/2023 at 13:26, HorseyGhirl said:

Challenge-Cup.jpg

The wonderfully named Combined Lowland Challenge Cup, starts on Fri 20th Oct. West Dev. teams here only.

Benburb v Auchinleck Talbot
Cambuslng Rangers v Bonnyton Thistle
Clydebank v Bonnyrigg Rose
Dundonald v Rossvale
Easterhouse v Dunbar United
Edinburgh Community v Maybole
Finnart Star v Hutchison Vale
Gartcairn v Musselburgh Athletic
Giffnock v Whitburn
Glasgow University v St.Peters
Greenock v Pumpherston
Haddington Athletic v Knightswood
Irvine Meadow v Vale Clyde
Johnstone Burgh v Linlithgow Rose
Kirkintilloch Rob Roy v East Kilbride
Lanark United v Blantyre Victoria
Livingston United v Shorts Bon Accord
Maryhill v Arthurli
Neilston v Caledonian Braves
Newtongrange Star v Larkhall Thistle
Penicuik Athletic v Darvel
Pollok v Lochar Thistle
Rosyth v St.Anthony's
Sauchie v Thorniewood United
St.Andrews United v Ashfield
St.Cadocs v University Stirling
St.Rochs v Bellshill Athletic
Thorn Athletic v Kelty Hearts
Threave Rovers v Edinburgh University
Vale Leven v Edinburgh City
Wishaw v Renfrew

Byes: Ardrossan Winton Rovers, Cumnock, Dalry Thistle, Dumbarton, Girvan, Kilsyth Athletic, Kilwinning Rangers, Newmains United, Troon, West Park United.

Pick out your local club and get along. Better than spending Friday Nights in the pub or with the missus watching soaps.

Edited by HorseyGhirl

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We made the first round draw for the Clyde Cup at the League General Meeting this evening.

Scott Carson from Clydebank and David Aitken from Benburb made the draw in recognition for winning the League Cup and Knockout Cup last season.

Draw went smoothly until I inexplicably said the ties would be played 12th August. I of course meant 12th January!

F_e0JaCWAAA3KtO.jpg

F_e0JZ4XAAE6h-z.jpg

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

@Craig fae the Vale sorry to hijack your thread. Could you post an updated list of artificial pitches please? Getting to crap weather time which is affecting the Predictor competition.

Thanks in advance pal.

Will get that to you in the next couple of days 👍

• 1 month later...

The PlayerData League Cup Final is tomorrow night between Darvel and Renfrew at Broadwood Stadium with an 8pm kick off.

Entry is cash only for £5/£3 concessions. Would be great to see a big crowd as we play for our first ever piece of silverware. 

The PlayerData League Cup Final is tomorrow night between Darvel and Renfrew at Broadwood Stadium with an 8pm kick off.

Entry is cash only for £5/£3 concessions. Would be great to see a big crowd as we play for our first ever piece of silverware. 

Renfrew u20s 0-0 Darvel u20s (Renfrew win 3-2 on penalties)

Maybe my best ever night in football. Our first final under the West of Scotland Football Development League banner and it genuinely couldn't have gone much better. Almost 400 in attendance and a hard fought, close game to the very end. A great night that I couldn't have hoped to have gone any smoother.

20240126_200032.jpg

• 2 weeks later...