League Reconstruction 20/21 season

31 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

What? In a vote the Spanish state declared illegal, 43% nevertheless turned out and 97% of them voted Yes to independence. How is that deciding to stay Spanish?

I was thinking I had missed something, I was sure the Catalans voted overwhelmingly for Indi. Maybe the Sun have got a branch in Madrid.

I think the plan is that she's staying only until she hands over to the Foundation of Hearts guys?
Maybe she'll stay on the board, though? I don't know. 
She said something today along the lines of 'I don't need this'!'
It may well be the case, though, that she'll find it hard to let go.
It could end up like that time Thatcher left number ten in tears! :lol:

I understood the intended plan was that she’d stay on the board for a while to begin with to help ensure continuity and a smooth transition

I suspect that might now be a shorter while than was previously intended and the “smooth transition” idea was left in tatters by the coronavirus

24 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

What? In a vote the Spanish state declared illegal, 43% nevertheless turned out and 97% of them voted Yes to independence. How is that deciding to stay Spanish?

Pet

As you rightly say, only 43% of people voted. I fully appreciate that the whole voting thing was a joke -  but I genuinely don't believe most Catalonians want independance from Spain ? Who really knows, but the family I have in Spain certainly don't want Catalonia to leave (that includes family members in Barcelona).

Anyway, as said, I don't want to get into a big debate on something that is not my problem - just wanted to ask a question and wondered what people thought what would happen with the Spanish league.

Being a Morton Fan i look forward to meeting up with Hearts next season - I haven't seen  a Ton v Hearts game sine the 80's. I genuinely think Hearts have been hard done by (as have Partick, Falkirk etc) but these are strange times.

1 minute ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I understood the intended plan was that she’d stay on the board for a while to begin with to help ensure continuity and a smooth transition

I suspect that might now be a shorter while than was previously intended and the “smooth transition” idea was left in tatters by the coronavirus

Hopefully she won't be running the show - I just wonder if she'll bolt earlier if things go badly for her.

I'll always thank her for stumping up the cash when we really needed it, but there have been too many wrong turns since that time.

Just now, Bailey1874 said:

Pet

As you rightly say, only 43% of people voted. I fully appreciate that the whole voting thing was a joke -  but I genuinely don't believe most Catalonians want independance from Spain ? Who really knows, but the family I have in Spain certainly don't want Catalonia to leave (that includes family members in Barcelona).

It's probably somewhere about half-and-half; but note that for this referendum - the pro-Independence parties won the regional elections, the pro-Spain crowd boycotted the election (often, that's a sign that they're scared of losing, and so challenge the legitimacy from the outset) and that the Spanish police forcibly prevented people from voting by closing polling stations. Those factors do indicate that the pro-Independence side certainly had a good chance of winning.

51 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

The bigger string could be that funds are to be used to help clubs fulfil fixtures

Have to be honest - whether that suits Budges agenda or not, if the dough allowed that to happen, it must be a good thing, imo.

9 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

It's probably somewhere about half-and-half; but note that for this referendum - the pro-Independence parties won the regional elections, the pro-Spain crowd boycotted the election (often, that's a sign that they're scared of losing, and so challenge the legitimacy from the outset) and that the Spanish police forcibly prevented people from voting by closing polling stations. Those factors do indicate that the pro-Independence side certainly had a good chance of winning.

Aim

Fair point, well made - I can only take info from my family and friends in Spain.

9 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Have to be honest - whether that suits Budges agenda or not, if the dough allowed that to happen, it must be a good thing, imo.

Doncaster's reluctance to jump at  the offer will be partly about proper procedures. But I would guess it will be partly about him feeling uncomfortable. Budge is doing his job in digging up some money. And these benefactors want anonymity - so maybe Doncaster will have to deal via Budge initially - at a time when she's threatening to take his actions to court. I can see his difficulty. Oh, and she's a wummin.

54 minutes ago, Bailey1874 said:

Wastecoatwilly

i don't want to get into a political argument (you have your thoughts and I have mine) but my second home is in Madrid, where I have family. I kind of agree with them that Catalonia had a vote and decided to stay Spanish.

Anyway, politics aside, do you think the Spanish League should have been called or finished behind closed doors?

You will know the Spanish are as mental as us when it comes to football but with the death toll in Spain it was getting out of control,I had family in Spain through the middle of march they were struggling to come back here.
I think it got quite scary when the guardia civil  were coming around street telling people to stay in doors  that type of thing didn't help.
The football was just an afterthought but like most countries they wanted it to be completed and they have the resources to do it.

1 minute ago, Pet Jeden said:

Doncaster's reluctance to jump at  the offer will be partly about proper procedures. But I would guess it will be partly about him feeling uncomfortable. Budge is doing his job in digging up some money. And these benefactors want anonymity - so maybe Doncaster will have to deal via Budge initially - at a time when she's threatening to take his actions to court. I can see his difficulty. Oh, and she's a wummin.

Regardless of what they want (and the incomprehensible drivel McLaughlin was coming out with and lapped up by Preston and English earlier about how the cash could have been in bank accounts last week), its impossible for the SPFL to have a large sum of money dropped in their bank account with no checks on where it came from and how kosher it is (n.b. I have no doubt the money is fine, but all organisations..............perhaps with the recent exception of Hamilton Accies need to check these things).

The Bennies are not anonymous to Budge and Hearts auditors for exactly the same reasons, and they will not be able to remain anonymous from the SPFL board........again for the same reason.

3 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

You will know the Spanish are as mental as us when it comes to football but with the death toll in Spain it was getting out of control,I had family in Spain through the middle of march they were struggling to come back here.
I think it got quite scary when the guardia civil  were coming around street telling people to stay in doors  that type of thing didn't help.
The football was just an afterthought but like most countries they wanted it to be completed and they have the resources to do it.

I know exactly what you mean - my Neice was stopped by the Guardia Civil while driving into Madrid and told that she could be fined thousands of euro if her journey was not necessary. These are strange times.

Hopefully the football starts again soon with fans able to watch, here and in Spain!

1 minute ago, Green Day said:

Regardless of what they want (and the incomprehensible drivel McLaughlin was coming out with and lapped up by Preston and English earlier about how the cash could have been in bank accounts last week), its impossible for the SPFL to have a large sum of money dropped in their bank account with no checks on where it came from and how kosher it is (n.b. I have no doubt the money is fine, but all organisations..............perhaps with the recent exception of Hamilton Accies need to check these things).

The Bennies are not anonymous to Budge and Hearts auditors for exactly the same reasons, and they will not be able to remain anonymous from the SPFL board........again for the same reason.

The money doesn't have to go through the SPFL, does it? A Charitable trust can make donations to the individual clubs. Normal Anti Money laundering checks would be done. tbh if I was giving out several million, I might be more comfortable giving directly to the clubs. A few might bite the dust, but how sound is the SPFL?

There is a bit of money laundering legislation that might have given Doncaster food for thought and if Budgie had tried to tie reconstruction ( let’s be honest Hearts in the big league she has no interest in Thistle etc) to the ‘donation’ then it is no wonder that Doncaster was a bit circumspect. 

Edited by DumbartonBud

4 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

There is a bit of money laundering legislation that might have given Doncaster food for thought and if Budgie had tried to tie reconstruction ( let’s be honest Heart in the big league she has no interest in Thistle etc) to the ‘donation’ then it is no wonder that Doncaster was a bit circumspect. 

He might be circumspect.Or he might just be an idiot. Sometimes hard to differentiate.

3 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

The money doesn't have to go through the SPFL, does it? A Charitable trust can make donations to the individual clubs. Normal Anti Money laundering checks would be done. tbh if I was giving out several million, I might be more comfortable giving directly to the clubs. A few might bite the dust, but how sound is the SPFL?

We truly are living in a crazy world right now, where someone is claiming an unknown group/ family/business is ready to individually finance every club in Scotland. Scottish footballs glory days have returned, all hail Anne Budge and her rich pals that couldn’t give two monkeys about how they spend their money. 

8 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

We truly are living in a crazy world right now, where someone is claiming an unknown group/ family/business is ready to individually finance every club in Scotland. Scottish footballs glory days have returned, all hail Anne Budge and her rich pals that couldn’t give two monkeys about how they spend their money. 

1. Not quite. Thought she said lower leagues?

2. Well, they didn't worry how Hearts spent it!

7 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

I particularly liked the ball pit in the roseburn undercroft.

Is there a delivery date yet for the retractable roof? 

3 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Even if they are willing to put money into all clubs in Leagues One and Two, and a few of the less well off in the Championship, that’s going to be something like 25 teams. Let’s be conservative and say that the average amount those teams will need to see themselves through to January without any supporters is £100,000, (I may be over estimating that for the smaller teams but I would imagine some Championship clubs would need significantly more than that). So £2.5 million off the bat from these money-no-object bastions of charity. 

On your second point, as I said in another post, it’s a bit of a jump from putting money into an individual club that I assume these mythical people have some sort of affinity towards, to what Anne Budge has claimed today. Even as a Hearts fan, you must see why others are viewing this so cynically? 

34 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

He might be circumspect.Or he might just be an idiot. Sometimes hard to differentiate.

I think on this instance I’m happy to give the benefit of the doubt. Unlike my view on how shit Hearts were all last season