Walking Down the Beechwood Road mk 2

5 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

Interesting re budgets.

Clearly, Darvel changed the landscape for forever. Buffs partially to blame by selling David Syme to Darvel for £12K to up the ante.

The other factor not mentioned as much is SFA licencing. There's been a huge cost to the likes of Talbot, Meadow, Buffs for this. Costs that have an impact upon overall budgeting and indeed upon playing budget.

Chris Strain has done a fantastic job at Beith, I was really disappointed when Buffs parted ways with him. However, he's achieved success without the costs of SFA licencing hanging over his club. A coincidence perhaps? Who knows.

I've heard this one mooted a few times now and it's been a legal ground owning process that's held beith back from Gaining a licence as opposed to shirking it/trying to gain a monetary advantage over our rivals to win trophies.  Think it's being a wee bit disrespectful to Chris in alluding to that as we all know a few clubs( most certainly darvel in particular  ) would have blown his budget out the water last season. 

For what's its worth Jonny Millar won beith various majors so what were the other clubs excuses back then when gaining a licence pretty much wasn't a thing ? 

38 minutes ago, Thejackdaw said:

I've heard this one mooted a few times now and it's been a legal ground owning process that's held beith back from Gaining a licence as opposed to shirking it/trying to gain a monetary advantage over our rivals to win trophies.  Think it's being a wee bit disrespectful to Chris in alluding to that as we all know a few clubs( most certainly darvel in particular  ) would have blown his budget out the water last season. 

For what's its worth Jonny Millar won beith various majors so what were the other clubs excuses back then when gaining a licence pretty much wasn't a thing ? 

I appreciate your point about the difficulties around ground ownership. I'm not being disrespectful to Chris, my post establishes that.

The fact is licensing costs significant money, money that has to be found from somewhere, in Darvel's case a significant benefactor, in other clubs case playing budget amongst other things.

It's a simple fact that, in the current climate, not progressing to an SFA licence undoubtedly provides some advantage to some clubs. It's well known that Beith do have a significant budget in relation to some other clubs in the league, although that's not the only thing that brings success, Chris has done a magnificent job since he went to Bellsdale, despite many of the 'Mighty' not wanting him there in the first place.

On 27/09/2023 at 12:17, funky monkey said:

Interesting re budgets.

Clearly, Darvel changed the landscape for forever. Buffs partially to blame by selling David Syme to Darvel for £12K to up the ante.

The other factor not mentioned as much is SFA licencing. There's been a huge cost to the likes of Talbot, Meadow, Buffs for this. Costs that have an impact upon overall budgeting and indeed upon playing budget.

Chris Strain has done a fantastic job at Beith, I was really disappointed when Buffs parted ways with him. However, he's achieved success without the costs of SFA licencing hanging over his club. A coincidence perhaps? Who knows.

I don't believe the SFA licensing has any effect on team performance, strain on manager or the budget.  The budget for everything is set by the committee, you work out how much you have in total and put money into each section. Money for the licensing, for the playing staff for the coaching staff for travelling etc... if there's a problem then its really because its badly run i.e. making decisions that are not good that will have an affect on the whole Football club.  Suppose the proof is in the pudding and that's why Kilwinning FC were relegated but to be honest, they are a team that I do expect to get back up there sooner rather than later. 

I do know that this is Kilwinning's second year in the Scottish cup, which they made money from last year's adventure and Kilwinning are doing so again with their second round tie against Cowdenbeath, so last years exit to Forfar, gave the club £6500 participation money reaching the second round and that's without adding money from the gates home and away and they are going to earn another £6500 or more this years turn in the Scottish Cup, so achieving your SFA licensing was defiantly worth it.

I don't get what the problem is, Kilwinning put their head above the parapet and gained their license, if this means that a particular season they are average or lower standard as not much money can be spent on budget then so be it, not to worry as Kilwinning will be going for a long time to come and will have fantastic seasons I'm sure of that

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread
correct rate

8 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

I appreciate your point about the difficulties around ground ownership. I'm not being disrespectful to Chris, my post establishes that.

The fact is licensing costs significant money, money that has to be found from somewhere, in Darvel's case a significant benefactor, in other clubs case playing budget amongst other things.

It's a simple fact that, in the current climate, not progressing to an SFA licence undoubtedly provides some advantage to some clubs. It's well known that Beith do have a significant budget in relation to some other clubs in the league, although that's not the only thing that brings success, Chris has done a magnificent job since he went to Bellsdale, despite many of the 'Mighty' not wanting him there in the first place.

Conversely speaking though and Having your licence does guarantee entry into the Scottish senior cup every year unlike un- licenced clubs so  you could argue that the outlay that these clubs have put out  could be clawed back easily within a year or two if the licenced club gets a decent run and a few plum draws/TV money . 

I get that the initial outlay cost lots and that's undisputable however there's lots of factors in trying to keep a club at the top and financially cumnock made 20k from the second best striker in the league last season  in Jordan Moore and I would take a guess that  beith never got anywhere near that for the best striker in the league in Josh fowler. 

Only using cumnock as an example as a licenced club and as Scottish cup holders and  cumnocks start to the season and them requiring a new manager suggests that they never recruited wisely nor spent too great and that can be a factor as I thought we outclassed them in spells in our recent game against them .