Religion in lockdown

Mate of mine (an ex deviant, imo btw) has recently found god.

Has the Coronavirus pandemic changed your view on religion?

Are you more convinced that there is a god?

is there an increased need for spirituality?

Is this a sign of an impending apocalypse? 

Or, are you even more convinced that there is no god?

Has your view changed since the lockdown?

Could you give a f**k one way ore the other?

etc...

Edited by paranoid android

4 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Where? They could solve all these religious debates if it turns out he was just hiding down the back of mad davo’s sofa.

From personal experience, I'd start the search in Her Majesty's Greybar Hotels. The number of thieves, murders, terrorists and downright wrong'uns who tip up to services inside is fucking incredible compared to the general community, even before you factor in the fact that they're all inside for pretty serious contravention of most religious teachings.

2 hours ago, Tynierose said:

No,  religion was and still is for idiots.

I agree with “is” but dispute “was”.   There was a time in history when we knew far less than we know now, people buying into religion as an explanation at that time is understandable.  There may still be a few civilisations today where that applies.

However religion is incompatible with an informed, rational society.  Organised religion is still used as a control mechanism and is used by groups and individuals as a cover for prejudices.

For other individuals it’s simply a desperate hope that when they die it’s not “the end”.  Bad news folks...

32 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I agree with “is” but dispute “was”.   There was a time in history when we knew far less than we know now, people buying into religion as an explanation at that time is understandable.

It was also useful for law and order.  The King or the Queen was always on first name terms with the almighty so you had to obey the ruler of the land for the good of your soul.

Organised religion was a device used to control the masses, through fear & guilt - you'll go to hell.. blah blah...

As people became more enlightened & free-thinking they've been drifting away over time.

If someone gets comfort or hope, from believing in their whatever god, I don't have a problem with that at all though.

I think religion served a purpose through the ages in providing guidance and steering away from savagery, pillaging and the like but it's totally irrelevant these days as we all deep down know what's right and wrong. I don't mind reading a bit of the bible if I see one somewhere and I'm bored. The last thing I read was the stuff about doing your good deeds and not bragging to everyone about it. 

I actually feel a bit sad knowing that there is nothing after life and maybe a bit envious of people who really believe that they aren't just going to become wormfood.

25 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

I think religion served a purpose through the ages in providing guidance and steering away from savagery, pillaging and the like but it's totally irrelevant these days as we all deep down know what's right and wrong. I don't mind reading a bit of the bible if I see one somewhere and I'm bored. The last thing I read was the stuff about doing your good deeds and not bragging to everyone about it. 

I actually feel a bit sad knowing that there is nothing after life and maybe a bit envious of people who really believe that they aren't just going to become wormfood.

That's exactly what religion was for the most part. Mass murder and theft was how religious were built and how they survived. It's why a lot of the old religions were consigned to history.

Regarding your second paragraph, you don't know that. Simple thermodynamics states that energy cannot be destroyed, so who's to say what happens after you die? Perhaps your 'life force' energy is transferred to another life? Maybe once you die and close your eyes the next/first thing you know you're opening them again as you are being born (obviously you wouldn't know about your 'past lives')?

Or of course we would know no more once we die and that will be it. I can't get my head around not being anything for the rest of time. It's insane and folk go mad thinking about it.

1 hour ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Have you ever seen rogues in the current Tory party?

One of my earliest memories was when I was eight years old and I was in a classroom and somebody was reading passages from the bible.  All the time they were reading, I thought what a load of shite, what an absolute load of shite.  None of it made sense to me at all.  Noah's Ark collecting two of ever animal.  Cats, Dos, Sheep, Goats - fine.  What about polar bears, penguins and kangaroos.

Throughout my childhood I maintained this view and managed to avoid religion most of the time.

Later I went to University in Glasgow and encountered people who really believed this stuff.  What an experience.

It was like being with people who still believed in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy or thought all those children's fairy stories were true.
Every time it came up for discussion, I had nothing to contribute to the conversation.
Occasionally I was asked if I was Catholic or Protestant.  "No, I am not.  It is all a load of shite."  End of conversation.

I don't care what other people believe and if it gives them comfort then so what.  The problem is when they expect me to believe it too.
It is a problem because I still think it is a load of shite and I doubt I am going to change my mind.

1 minute ago, Fullerene said:

One of my earliest memories was when I was eight years old and I was in a classroom and somebody was reading passages from the bible.  All the time they were reading, I thought what a load of shite, what an absolute load of shite.  None of it made sense to me at all.  Noah's Ark collecting two of ever animal.  Cats, Dos, Sheep, Goats - fine.  What about polar bears, penguins and kangaroos.

Throughout my childhood I maintained this view and managed to avoid religion most of the time.

Later I went to University in Glasgow and encountered people who really believed this stuff.  What an experience.

It was like being with people who still believed in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy or thought all those children's fairy stories were true.
Every time it came up for discussion, I had nothing to contribute to the conversation.
Occasionally I was asked if I was Catholic or Protestant.  "No, I am not.  It is all a load of shite."  End of conversation.

I don't care what other people believe and if it gives them comfort then so what.  The problem is when they expect me to believe it too.
It is a problem because I still think it is a load of shite and I doubt I am going to change my mind.

Suggesting that the tooth fairy is not real adds nothing to this debate.

#fiftypence

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

That's exactly what religion was for the most part. Mass murder and theft was how religious were built and how they survived. It's why a lot of the old religions were consigned to history.

Regarding your second paragraph, you don't know that. Simple thermodynamics states that energy cannot be destroyed, so who's to say what happens after you die? Perhaps your 'life force' energy is transferred to another life? Maybe once you die and close your eyes the next/first thing you know you're opening them again as you are being born (obviously you wouldn't know about your 'past lives')?

Or of course we would know no more once we die and that will be it. I can't get my head around not being anything for the rest of time. It's insane and folk go mad thinking about it.

You certainly have.

When I was 8 I got into a playground fight with my mate Sayeed about who was better Mohammed or Jesus

We got hauled in front of the headmistress for fighting and when we had to explain what the fight was about I felt really stupid. Which is basically when religion and I parted company

For the record I was clearly winning when the fight was stopped so Jesus is better

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)