The Edinburgh Cyclist

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

Just found his YouTube channel, looks quite funny.  He posts all the encouters with license plate numbers.  Wonder if I'm on there.

I was looking at a couple of them just there...he's got a point with some of them, others he's just coming across like a perma-raging bawbag.

Only the Russians do this sort of thing right:

If you hit a motorcyclist while changing lanes it’s likely your fault for not checking your fucking mirrors.
If traffic is moving at 10mph and someone on a motorbike is doing 40mph then it's hard to judge.
I know it's legal but until you've experienced edinburgh in rush hour you wont have seen how bad it is. Queensferry road is stop start and full of motorbikes taking the piss because the road is narrow.

I see his latest video is one where a driver tries to pass where there's no space, and then tries again just so they can join the queue at a red light. Police Scotland are so incompetent that the driver died before he could be charged.

10 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

I see his latest video is one where a driver tries to pass where there's no space, and then tries again just so they can join the queue at a red light. Police Scotland are so incompetent that the driver died before he could be charged.

Strange how the car had no problem passing the other cyclist, allowing him plenty room. One could even think youtube boy was trying to make it happen.

Edited by welshbairn

11 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

If traffic is moving at 10mph and someone on a motorbike is doing 40mph then it's hard to judge.

Going at a much fast speed than everyone else in that situation isn’t advisable, no, but no one mentioned speed.

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Is it actually illegal for a cyclist to ride on the pavement?

Haven't ridden a bike in 10+ years no dog in the fight, just thought it was one of these things that irritates people without actually being against a law.

When I cycled in London I was telt it's one of those things that fall under a local bylaw so was illegal in some boroughs but not in others. I never checked this out myself but the fella who telt me was a hardcore cyclist who generally knew the laws regarding it inside out. Could also have been changed since then. Even where it was legal you could still get done with certain crimes if ye do happen to knock someone over or that.

How this applies to Scots law I have no idea. I'd guess there's no law saying it's illegal but they'll find a way to fine ye if yer being a dick about it.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Strange how the car had no problem passing the other cyclist, allowing him plenty room. One could even think youtube boy was trying to make it happen.

The driver passed the other cyclist after they'd already close passed the camera cyclist. And even then the driver probably didn't give the required 1.5m distance and definitely didn't follow rule 163 of the Highway Code.

6 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Haven't ridden a bike in 10+ years no dog in the fight, just thought it was one of these things that irritates people without actually being against a law.

Yes. However the DfT have said cyclists can ride on the footway provided they do so considerately, and that police officers need to exercise discretion.

And there are exceptions anyway, like shared use paths with the blue signs - though sometimes these are slapped on pavements by councils without any changes being made which no doubt makes cyclists wonder why they can't use other pavements.

There's also the Core Path system instituted under the Land Reform Act for non-motorised vehicles, which gives people responsible access rights. Some bits of pavements may be core paths.

See the following briefing paper (which laughably reminds us of the failed government vision for 10% of journeys to be taken by bike in 2020 - think it was less than 3% last year).

https://www.parliament.scot/ResearchBriefingsAndFactsheets/S4/SB_12-24.pdf

Screenshot_2020-04-27 Cycling - SB_12-24 pdf.png

Friend (of a friend) is a copper and mad keen cyclist. She says that cycling on pavement is against the law. I only ever do it rarely, and when I do I'm going just above walking pace.

A lot of people biting at this thread without commenting that it's a Daily Mail video., so is presented to elicit angry reactions. Some cyclists are a danger (hugging the gutter or having earphones in both set my teeth on edge) and some motorists are absolutely a danger. The latter are in charge of a one tonne lump of metal, the other is on a contraption weighing in at about 10kg. 

26 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

When I cycled in London I was telt it's one of those things that fall under a local bylaw so was illegal in some boroughs but not in others. I never checked this out myself but the fella who telt me was a hardcore cyclist who generally knew the laws regarding it inside out. Could also have been changed since then. Even where it was legal you could still get done with certain crimes if ye do happen to knock someone over or that.

How this applies to Scots law I have no idea. I'd guess there's no law saying it's illegal but they'll find a way to fine ye if yer being a dick about it.

Translation: could quote chapter and verse on rules which benefitted him while blithely  ignoring those which defined him as just another pleb. 'Cos healthy, eco, save the planet, innit?

10 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

It's illegal aye, maximum fine of £500 apparently.

Can any cyclist on here tell me why they would choose to cycle on the road when cycle paths are available?  I appreciate not everywhere has a cycle path but in my own experience the one that runs alongside the A82 seems underused by cyclists, yet you still find them cycling on a dual carriageway or through the villages such as Old Kilpatrick or Bowling. For the life of me, I can't understand why you'd choose the road over your own dedicated cycle path.

3 minutes ago, velo army said:

Friend (of a friend) is a copper and mad keen cyclist. She says that cycling on pavement is against the law. I only ever do it rarely, and when I do I'm going just above walking pace.

A lot of people biting at this thread without commenting that it's a Daily Mail video., so is presented to elicit angry reactions. Some cyclists are a danger (hugging the gutter or having earphones in both set my teeth on edge) and some motorists are absolutely a danger. The latter are in charge of a one tonne lump of metal, the other is on a contraption weighing in at about 10kg. 

This is one of the weakest arguments going btw. My dangerous behaviour isn't as bad as your dangerous behaviour. The 10kg bike can still do serious damage to pedestrians when cyclists are driving like arseholes both on the pavement and at crossings.

13 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Translation: could quote chapter and verse on rules which benefitted him while blithely  ignoring those which defined him as just another pleb. 'Cos healthy, eco, save the planet, innit?

More like someone took the time out the be aware of the laws that affected them. They cycled: they knew the laws regarding cycling. I don't expect regular drivers to know the laws regarding HGVs or pilots to know the laws affecting fishing trawlers. 

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

The second video is Cycling Mikey. He sometimes just cycles back and forth along traffic jams just so he can get drivers on their phones. He also hangs around a junction and steps out in front of cars that try to cut around a traffic island there for a shortcut.

Just now, The Moonster said:

It's illegal aye, maximum fine of £500 apparently.

Can any cyclist on here tell me why they would choose to cycle on the road when cycle paths are available?  I appreciate not everywhere has a cycle path but in my own experience the one that runs alongside the A82 seems underused by cyclists, yet you still find them cycling on a dual carriageway or through the villages such as Old Kilpatrick or Bowling. For the life of me, I can't understand why you'd choose the road over your own dedicated cycle path.

Have you seen the state of some cycle lanes with potholes, drains and they're usually poorly thought out. Sometimes pulling out to ride on the road is safer. 

Cycle paths right now are a nightmare,  too many people out walking on them, joggers with earphones and in a lot of places too narrow to safely pass people. Don't get me started on extending dug leads.

The other week I'd an older couple telling me that I should've been on the road,  I apologised for cycling on the cycling network. 

41 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

12 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

8 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

More like someone took the time out the be aware of the laws that affected them. They cycled: they knew the laws regarding cycling. I don't expect regular drivers to know the laws regarding HGVs or pilots to know the laws of affecting fishing trawlers. 

HIGHWAY CODE:
Section 64
Something that confuses many cyclists is whether or not they are allowed to cycle on the pavement. According to Laws HA 1835 section 72 & RSA 1984, section 129, cyclists must not cycle on the pavement.

But hey, that's only the actual fucking law, eh?

Strange that the HC acknowleges that this "confuses many cyclists". Pretty rare for the government to take into account how many thick cúnts there are out there.

8 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

HIGHWAY CODE:
Section 64
Something that confuses many cyclists is whether or not they are allowed to cycle on the pavement. According to Laws HA 1835 section 72 & RSA 1984, section 129, cyclists must not cycle on the pavement.

But hey, that's only the actual fucking law, eh?

Strange that the HC acknowleges that this "confuses many cyclists". Pretty rare for the government to take into account how many thick cúnts there are out there.

You seem very angry about this. Calm yersel.

I just retold something as I remembered it and you had a mad rant about someone you've never met. Maybe try cycling more. It's a very relaxing hobby.

16 minutes ago, bennett said:

Have you seen the state of some cycle lanes with potholes, drains and they're usually poorly thought out. Sometimes pulling out to ride on the road is safer. 

Cycle paths right now are a nightmare,  too many people out walking on them, joggers with earphones and in a lot of places too narrow to safely pass people. Don't get me started on extending dug leads.

The other week I'd an older couple telling me that I should've been on the road,  I apologised for cycling on the cycling network. 

Potholes is a weak argument, you'll need to avoid them on any road. "Usually poorly thought out" in what way?

Second paragraph seems very specific to this point in time in regards lockdown, but normally these paths aren't filled with joggers or folk out walking. Traffic on cycle paths is distinctly less than on normal roads. In any case, it's a bit of a stretch saying it's safer driving on a busy dual carriageway than a cycle path because someones dog might run across your path. I'd rather I flipped over my handlebars by running into someones dog than have a p***k in a BMW run me over.

You should have told the old couple to f**k off, you were far too nice.

Edited by The Moonster

Basically if you have to go on the pavement,  use some common sense.

• Fortunately, when FPNs were introduced for pavement cycling in 1999, Home Office Minister Paul Boateng issued guidance saying that: "The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief Police Officers who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required".
  • The Home Office guidance was re-affirmed in 2014 by the then Cycling Minister Robert Goodwill, who agreed that the police should use discretion in enforcing the law and recommended that the matter be taken up with the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO). ACPO welcomed the renewed guidance, circulated it to all forces, and issued a statement referring to "discretion in taking a reasonable and proportionate approach, with safety being a guiding principle

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Potholes is a weak argument, you'll need to avoid them on any road. "Usually poorly thought out" in what way?

Second paragraph seems very specific to this point in time in regards lockdown, but normally these paths aren't filled with joggers or folk out walking. Traffic on cycle paths is distinctly less than on normal roads. In any case, it's a bit of a stretch saying it's safer driving on a busy dual carriageway than a cycle path because someones dog might run across your path. I'd rather I came over my handlebars by running into someones dog than have a p***k in a BMW run me over.

You should have told the old couple to f**k off, you were far too nice.

The A82 cycle path has been murder for weeks now, used to walk our dog from Highmains up to Dunglass/Bowling and back but it's too busy with minters.