An Idiot's Guide to the West of Scotland Football League?!

3 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

No chance. If they were "bossing" the LL then they'd also be gaining promotion to the SPFL (presuming they can get by the Highland League sides in the play off). That would mean other clubs coming down. You might have about a half dozen former West Region Juniors in the LL by then at the most (dependent on league restructuring and other variables)

As I have said previously, I know virtually nothing about the Junior game. However, I have worked with at least two people who have raved about Pollok, and I also know of two Clydebank supporters. I have always been told that Pollok are a bigger club than many in the SPFL in terms of their support and, if true, I would expect them to progress. Clydebank will presumably still have a reasonable following from their football league days, too. Kilwinning are the other club I have heard are likely to progress.

4 hours ago, Beenzon-Toste said:
5 hours ago, glensmad said:

That's still to be confirmed.

Still stirring it, I see.

I'm asking a genuine question, Do the current junior teams in the East league, that's  west Lothian teams and the northern junior teams still have to vote if they want the ex junior teams in the Scottish cup ?

In the Lowland League, the WOS league games and Scottish South Challenge Cup take priority so I don't see many junior teams able to squeeze the junior cup in, especially with 38 league game sin the tier 6 division

5 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I'd add Hill of Beath, Penicuik, Tranent, Sauchie, Lothian THV, Tynecastle and Leith as potential solid LL clubs in the near future too. And there will doubtless be surprise packages too. Talk of a west takeover is as premature as it is predictable.

Excuse my ignorance Bad Wolf but what is the normal attendance of those clubs you listed, any idea

2 hours ago, The Reverend said:

As I have said previously, I know virtually nothing about the Junior game. However, I have worked with at least two people who have raved about Pollok, and I also know of two Clydebank supporters. I have always been told that Pollok are a bigger club than many in the SPFL in terms of their support and, if true, I would expect them to progress. Clydebank will presumably still have a reasonable following from their football league days, too. Kilwinning are the other club I have heard are likely to progress.

Polloks average crowd in somewhere about 600 to 700 a game I believe, don't mind being corrected. In saying that, Pollok have  a few hurdles to get over before they can become licensed.  Some of the other West region teams have great crowds, and good sized travelling away fans, Beith, Auchinleck, Cumnock, Hurlford

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Excuse my ignorance Bad Wolf but what is the normal attendance of those clubs you listed, any idea

The ex-junior clubs have decentish crowds, 200-300 perhaps, the latter three not so much, but show every sign of progression on the pitch. I've mostly been to EOS games as I lived in Edinburgh for 30+ years, but moved away a while ago, so haven't seen the likes of Penicuik since they moved. 

4 hours ago, Beenzon-Toste said:

No what I mean is here come some more Juniors haters to blindly back you up.

Don't be a bellend. I've had disagreements with glensmad about the whole pyramid process when I've supported it from the "Junior" PoV.  He's just right on this occasion 

Being a southern groundhopper,I've been lucky enough to have seen around 75+ junior games recently - all clubs come across very friendly with decent support. The grounds will no doubt be improved before long, the football on a par with possibly step 4/5 down here. (sometimes not ! ) Maybe the juniors are now history,but here's hoping the way forward is a success for everyone. 

7 minutes ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Being a southern groundhopper,I've been lucky enough to have seen around 75+ junior games recently - all clubs come across very friendly with decent support. The grounds will no doubt be improved before long, the football on a par with possibly step 4/5 down here. (sometimes not ! ) Maybe the juniors are now history,but here's hoping the way forward is a success for everyone. 

With the greatest respect to you Andy, I don't think that's accurate, the teams in the WoS Superleague/Premier Division/Premiership (delete as appropriate) would be comfortable in the English Step 2/3 (tier 6/7) at worst.

Kelty Hearts played Solihull Moors recently in the Tunnock Caramel Wafer CupTM, both fielding their best XI whilst both heading their respective Tier 5 leagues. Kelty were very unfortunate not to win the game (0-0 draw and Solihull won on pens), that same Kelty side were completely outclassed by Auchinleck Talbot now of the WoS a few weeks prior in the live BBC Scottish Cup tie.

I'm sure there will be a WoS Groundhop for you to come to sometime next season to judge for yourself.

2 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I'm asking a genuine question, Do the current junior teams in the East league, that's  west Lothian teams and the northern junior teams still have to vote if they want the ex junior teams in the Scottish cup ?

In the Lowland League, the WOS league games and Scottish South Challenge Cup take priority so I don't see many junior teams able to squeeze the junior cup in, especially with 38 league game sin the tier 6 division

Changes to allow teams leaving a junior league but retaining their SJFA membership in order to continue playing in the Scottish Junior Cup have been accepted by the clubs. Also, replays & reinstatement have been scrapped amongst other measures.

3 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

With the greatest respect to you Andy, I don't think that's accurate, the teams in the WoS Superleague/Premier Division/Premiership (delete as appropriate) would be comfortable in the English Step 2/3 (tier 6/7) at worst.

Kelty Hearts played Solihull Moors recently in the Tunnock Caramel Wafer CupTM, both fielding their best XI whilst both heading their respective Tier 5 leagues. Kelty were very unfortunate not to win the game (0-0 draw and Solihull won on pens), that same Kelty side were completely outclassed by Auchinleck Talbot now of the WoS a few weeks prior in the live BBC Scottish Cup tie.

I'm sure there will be a WoS Groundhop for you to come to sometime next season to judge for yourself.

Fair point,was just going by the games I'd seen, possibly coz I hadn't seen the top end clubs. If they are of step 2/3 that's brilliant,and signs that they really could progress through the leagues. Was meant to be in Scotland next week, will be back asap. Don't do the organised groundhops - right idiots on those !

Changes to allow teams leaving a junior league but retaining their SJFA membership in order to continue playing in the Scottish Junior Cup have been accepted by the clubs. Also, replays & reinstatement have been scrapped amongst other measures.
Has it been confirmed anywhere that the changes have been accepted ?

2 minutes ago, glensmad said:
14 minutes ago, Marten said:

Has it been confirmed anywhere that the changes have been accepted ?

Not sure about that, I do know for sure the SJFA had a virtual meeting about this recently and decided that though.

14 minutes ago, Marten said:

There's one difference between the Junior FA and the WoSFL/LL - an agreement like that would have been issued as a statement on their websites.

Have the clubs been emailed about this change?

Not sure about that, I do know for sure the SJFA had a virtual meeting about this recently and decided that though.
The SJFA don't decide it, the clubs do. The voting deadline was 9 days ago, but the result hasn't been announced yet.

9 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Shettleston is a brilliant place to watch football. Arguably the best social club I've been to at a ground and a decent wee set up in terms of the main terracing for watching the game. Good amount of outdoor seating for a pint. Good memories of sunny summer evenings there watching playoff or cup games. Easy to get to on the train as well.

Vale of Clyde another decent club with welcoming people. The bar when I was there was in a shipping container - put it in Shoreditch or East Berlin and you could probably charge 8 quid a pint.

It can be a bit nerve wracking sitting behind the goals with a drink. If you have your own it's better to walk round to the terracing, for views of Barlinnie. 

1 minute ago, Marten said:

The SJFA decided that? Not the clubs it will affect? The clubs didn't get to vote on it? That seems a bit strange.

4 minutes ago, glensmad said:
6 minutes ago, Marten said:

The SJFA don't decide it, the clubs do. The voting deadline was 9 days ago, but the result hasn't been announced yet.

I know, I mixed up my terminology here, there was a virtual meeting of the clubs that decided it.

Edited by Marten

4 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

The SJFA decided that? Not the clubs it will affect? The clubs didn't get to vote on it? That seems a bit strange.

See my correction, I used the wrong terminology, sorry.