Conquering Britain & Ireland

League Cup Final

Well, our first Cup final in a national competition is here and we're facing Bohemians - one of Ireland's traditionally bigger clubs. We'd also played 3 games in the 6 days leading up to it - cheers for that scheduling, Irish FA.

Our route to the final has been...

fxVsuXM.png

We've played 2 lower league sides, and the bottom 2 in the top flight, so it couldn't have been that much more straightforward. There's also the fact that Dundalk don't seem to bother their arse with this cup, as they've only won it twice during the save whilst winning just about everything else.

Bohemians meanwhile have had a very slightly tougher route to face us. 

QeKXoxN.png

2 lower league sides, two top flight ones - but the top flight ones they played are doing ok...

Onto the game.

Spoiler

wQd319h.png

Absolutely strolled it, in the end. 2 goals from my left back was an unexpected pleasure, and them going down to ten men put it to bed. They did pull one back, but we strolled up after kick off and scored straight away.

Our first bit of major silverware in Ireland under me, and seems to be the clubs first as well, so that's good.

hjimTH8.png

V2FBWjK.png

Last thing, this came up after the game, which gave me a chuckle...

HAWRfJN.png

Cheers, Roy. I think you're an absolute fanny, but there we go.

September 2030

aUgtqy3.png

Snuck through in the cup, but we're in the semi final - we'll play St Pats. Then lost to Dundalk, as usual, and the rest of the month was fine. Beating Shamrock should see us into second, so that's a big result.

1EWKF9g.png

Dundalk are champions - and they're on course for 104 points out of a possible 108....

I've got Limerick next, and they'll definitely be in the relegation playoff at best if we win/draw, so I'm looking forward to that. 

Denmark under 21's

hAPZwJv.png

Back to the qualifying campaign, and a win and a draw that absolutely should have been 2 wins.. We pumped Israel, but just couldn't score.

igSFHSv.png

We've Malta and Belgium still to play - a win and a draw will see us through, and I think that  we're almost certainly going to be one if the better 2nd placed sides if we lose to Belgium.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

Reckon you'll have this cracked within 3 years now. It's following the same pattern as Wales, slowly establishing yourself as best of the rest behind an absolute juggernaut, then picking up cups and European money before an historic title triumph.

October 2030

1EjN6c1.png

Well, that went very well. 4 wins in the league to see us safely into 2nd place for the 2nd season running, and with it...

02HnW1n.png

Also, into the Final of the Irish Senior Challenge Cup (the clubs first final) by a narrow win against St Pats - we'll face Dundalk, because of course we will. We did get a bit of a hand from a St Pats player.

mSkLlhR.png

Anyway, final league table:

y654egy.png

Dundalk absolutely chucked it once the title was secured - didn't win at all in their last 5. Means we finish 16 behind them, and 14 ahead of 3rd.

Just one more game this season - Irish Cup final time.

Denmark under 21s

HtmFO0d.png

Needed a draw and a win, and got 2 wins, and with it qualification to the European Championships.

Our early goal against Belgium was huge - we just sat back and hit them on the counter to great effect.

5ROblHW.png

qKU3IBz.png

Means I'll have a busy summer next year competing in both this and with Cobh, but pleased with this.

Irish Senior Challenge Cup Final

Cup final day is here, and we're facing Irish football's behemoth - Dundalk.

Our record against them in my tenure as manager reads P18 W0 D5 L15 GF18 GA47 - so we're really up against it. Frankly, I'd be amazed at this stage if we ever beat them, and I'm not optimistic.

Y4VzpyX.png

Our route to the final has been mostly sneaking past whoever we played, while Dundalk...

4lPr6kb.png

Have been dishing our pumpings - albeit mostly playing lower league sides

Can we finally record a win against Dundalk?

Spoiler

ZFW03WX.png

Nah, turns out we can't. Outplayed by frankly a better team.

Still, getting to the final is a decent achievement, and we've had a cup double secured already.  I also think we'll be playing in the President's Cup to kick off next season, which will be nice - even if it will just be another loss against Dundalk.

Overall, a successful season, and I think we're getting closer to winning the thing. But we'll see how next season goes.

November 2030

HG2fiDr.png

Just the one game this month (excluding the cup final as covered above) and it's my first loss with Denmark, in a friendly with Portugal. They've been runners up in the world cup, and won the euro's in this save - so I'm assuming their under 21s are pretty good, so not overly disheartened by this. 

Transfer Window

oASQkPs.png

1Ar5ulN.png

Outgoings first -  a few guys who were regulars, but I needed better if I'm to have any chance of challenging Dundalk.

Load of youth dross gone as well, and Danaher away thankfully - guy was about my 6th best centre midfielder, and asked for more game time at least once a month.

The boy at the top was on trial with me when he retired -  not a clue why he's showing up.

low1bz3.png

xMrc5Lm.png

Now the incomings...

First in, Kosovar midfielder Elron Kokollari - he looks ok, not the best technical player but I'm hoping his strong mental and physical stats will make up for it.

Spoiler

Vl7h51A.png

Next up, my replacement for Mahlon Romeo at right back, Ibrahima Kaba. Romeo last season was pretty decent, but he's 35 and his stats started falling off a cliff - Kaba is younger so should be able to do the job for much longer. He also looks alright. 

Spoiler

t68wfpC.png

Nedim Kovacevic is a left winger/striker, and looks very, very promising. I'm expecting big things from him this season.

Spoiler

gYKnvnF.png

Liam Corcoran was Dundalk's fifth choice striker last season, and now becomes my first choice after being released by them. Had to wait to avoid paying about 700k in compensation. He looks very good. Shame it means that Dave Watts will be relegated to filling a spot on the bench mostly, but this boy is a better player.

Spoiler

d2QY2W5.png

Michael McQuoid is here to sit on a bench - any luck and he'll leave having made 0 appearances. 

Spoiler

mwc7i2b.png

Final signing, and the first time I've (been able to) spend a fair bit of cash, is Aidan Kavanagh - also a former Dundalk player, who spent a season at St Pats. He's a good defender, and should solidify my defence.

Spoiler

tBVyxd6.png

Really pleased with how this has gone, don't think there's anyone who isn't an improvement on who they're replacing.

President of Ireland's Cup

So, this is the Irish Super Cup - which we've qualified for due to coming 2nd, seeing as Dundalk did their 5th league and cup double in 6 years...

It's basically a glorified friendly with a trophy, but seeing as who we're up against and I have a load of new players settling in, it'll be a good barometer of how we'll get on this season.

They usually win this, but aren't quite as prolific as they are in other competitions, so I don't know how seriously they take it.

Still, we've never beaten Dundalk, so we'll need a serious turn up to do it now.

Spoiler

fIoZeBM.png

giphy.gif

WE'VE FINALLY FUCKING BEATEN THEM.

It was a weird game, they had 3 clear cut chances, as did we, but we were able to take ours - but it certainly wasn't as comfortable as the scoreline makes it looks. 

We kept the ball very well though, and the fact that we've stopped them scoring is huge for the season ahead. 

WIYKbrL.png

b0Pivwr.png

February 2031

7f0YhX2.png

Other than the President's Cup win, an unbeaten start to the season - albeit two draws weren't ideal. The Shelbourne game was an absolute fucking nonsense though...

TGbARzp.png

We then played with 10 men for 84 minutes against Bohemians, so overall a pretty promising start to the season.

U1HDjvl.png

Early days, but we're top, even if we have played more games, and Dundalk have already dropped points under new management...

March 2031

AasGHcX.png

Well, apart from one half, an excellent month. The win against Dundalk (inspired by Dave Watts coming off the bench) was absolutely huge, and beating Waterford was brilliant as well as we've struggled against them quite a lot in the last few seasons.

DCZhsGq.png

Going well so far, our lead will be cut to just 1 if Dundalk win their games in hand, but they've dropped more points already than they did in the first 30 games last season...

Need to make sure I watch out for other teams though - Shamrock and Cork in particular are doing really well so far.

Denmark under 21s

6EMtW3r.png

Another friendly this month, and it turns out that Latvia are utter dross. Who would have seen that coming?

March 2031

AasGHcX.png

Well, apart from one half, an excellent month. The win against Dundalk (inspired by Dave Watts coming off the bench) was absolutely huge, and beating Waterford was brilliant as well as we've struggled against them quite a lot in the last few seasons.

DCZhsGq.png

Going well so far, our lead will be cut to just 1 if Dundalk win their games in hand, but they've dropped more points already than they did in the first 30 games last season...

Need to make sure I watch out for other teams though - Shamrock and Cork in particular are doing really well so far.

Denmark under 21s

6EMtW3r.png

Another friendly this month, and it turns out that Latvia are utter dross. Who would have seen that coming?

April 2031

Qtq4PlU.png

Another brilliant month - the loss against Shamrock where we never got going the only bad point. Thumping win over Cork was ideal, as they were looking like challengers. Watts hattrick in that game was brilliant considering he only came on with 29 minutes left.

Still in both cups - we'll win the Munster Cup again when we play some non-league shite, and I'm not bothered what happens in the League Cup. It's all about the league this year.

TwhLWSc.png

We're doing well. Still clear at the top, and Dundalk haven't really got going under their new manager yet. Need to keep this up, as I've no doubts they'll pick up at some point, and Shamrock are doing well too. But with Dundalk struggling so far, this could be our big chance.

May 2031

W5SU2Ik.png

Worst month so far, but we're still ticking over and getting wins for the most part. Really big win over Dundalk, and for the first time we actually completely outplayed them too.

Wee bit of a blip at the end of the month with a loss and a draw - although the Derry game we were down to ten, so a draw was an ok result in the circumstances.

UV4TlEe.png

Half way point of the season, and we're 1 clear. Problem is really that Dundalk haven't lost to anyone except for us, and Shamrock are still in with a shout too. Need to going how we've been going, and even better if possible. 

European under 21 Championships

Well, June is always a quiet month in club football in Ireland, and it's time for the under 21 Euro's with Denmark so something to keep me busy.

Cobh will also be represented here, as Kovacevic is playing for Bosnia.

72mG7c5.png

We played just one friendly to warm up for this, and it was a good showing against a pretty average Slovakia side.

xbHGPS8.png

Our group is probably about as hard as we could have gotten, with Spain, France and the host nation - I doubt we'll get through, but give it our best shot.

Spoiler

bWPrx4r.png

Aye, so it turns out that Spain are really, really good and absolutely thumped us. They got complacent in the second half and we got two back, but were never in any danger of getting back into the game properly. Only mild irritation is we had a goal disallowed through VAR about a minute in, but wouldn't have changed much I doubt.

l47l6nc.png

Got it all to do....

Spoiler

KR3omxQ.png

A hard fought draw, but Spain beating France means that we're still in with a shout of making it through, so that's the main thing. We didn't really do enough to win it, and could have easily lost, so I'll take the draw.

vTTXe6V.png

A win against France and we're there, cZmYgZi.png that Spain beat Poland. A draw might be enough if Spain thrash Poland - no idea what'll happen if we draw and Poland lose by more than 3, as us and France have identical records so far...

Spoiler

xj99nnL.png

Another draw, and again we didn't deserve to win it - France missed a penalty in the 92nd minute as well. But with Poland getting thrashed by Spain, what does that mean for the table...

Spoiler

8CvPKyw.png

Apparently it means that we finish bottom, and Poland go through. I'm not sure how its worked out, as it's done on results between teams which were all draws, but f**k it, these things happen.

cZmYgZi.png

It was won by Spain in the end, who beat Germany in the final.

lGfEDWc.png

Another international adventure comes to an end - I don't think there's much else I can do with this side. Will probably have a look at other international jobs soon enough, but nothing for now.

June 2031

jPMJNhX.png

Just two league games, and we got through them with 2 wins. Nothing spectacular in either of them, but we had a few important players missing, so good to see.

W156V40.png

Shamrock beat Dundalk, so our lead at the top extends to 2 points.

Next up for us - Shamrock Rovers at home. We also face Dundalk at home next month, so July could be huge for the title race.

eJRjK7m.png

Also had our draw for this - either a Slovak mob or a Gibraltarian one. Hoping for the latter, expecting the former, but both seem winnable.